NUD: Waterman Uke - My T.V PAL Ukette is quite Happy!

My local store called me today because they finally got their shipment. One of each color, the 3 swirls and a clear.
I stopped by the store on the way home today to check it out.
I was curious what you thought about them, especially since you have 2 different kinds, and when I tried them at the store, they did not all perform the same. I'm curious if it was a fluke or just in my head.

Also.. congrats on the baby!

Last edited:
Strictly speaking to me they are more of a collectible than a Uke I would perform with.

But also the Aquila strings need to stretch a bit. Normally I would change strings but since these are very casual use Ukes I rather just let them stretch and leave it at that.

It's also the kind of Ukes I would let someone try as opposed to some of my more prized ukuleles.

All in all they are decent entry level and beach/summer Ukes.

And thanks about the baby. A first grandson is indeed very special, like my first Uke ;)

Last edited:
Uhm my 1950 Ukette has no warping at all but that's a sopranino size.

I for one am a fan of Kala and ukulele history, but I'm sure bugs ear Ukes are pretty good and on par.

The orange swirl is awesome though. I'm waiting for the strings to settle a bit...

I am interested in getting a little better plastic uke than I already have and this one is in contention. Did the old TVPal tops warp due to string tension and inadequate bracing? Also thinking aqualele

From what I've been told most Maccaferri's warp due to extreme heat e.g. leaving it out in the sun for 3 hours. I have a Mac and a Carnival ukette and neither have any warping.

Mim just posted a video comparing the Waterman with the Aqualele.

MIM says the action is a little high in her video for the Waterman/ harder to fret. Would you agree? Maybe lighter fluorocarbon strings would help with that.

Action is a little bit of a subjective thing; I personally found the action to be just fine on my Waterman. I wouldn't go with lighter strings because it may not drive the top properly. I feel the Super Nylguts, while fine strings, may be a little too light on the Waterman. I'm ordering some friction tuners this weekend and when they come it I'm going to restring the Waterman with either Aquila Lava or Martin M600 strings.

Thanks Capt!
Action is a little bit of a subjective thing; I personally found the action to be just fine on my Waterman. I wouldn't go with lighter strings because it may not drive the top properly. I feel the Super Nylguts, while fine strings, may be a little too light on the Waterman. I'm ordering some friction tuners this weekend and when they come it I'm going to restring the Waterman with either Aquila Lava or Martin M600 strings.

I bought a swirl blue one through NewEgg and it's going back. I don't know why plastic ukes always catch my eye, but when I get one and start to play it I'm never impressed. I found the action to be a little too high up the neck and the tuners seem to be pretty cheap. I guess you expect much out of a $49 instrument. I'll just stick with my laminate Kiwaya :)

Top Bottom