Ukulele and Airline Carryon rules

tw62862

Reaction score
I'm heading to Oahu next week for a 10 day trip and want to take a uke with me. ('cause who knows if I could find one there, right?) :p

Based on my understanding of the airline's (Hawaiian Air) carry on policy, my Tenor uke would be too big to be taken as a carry on item. On the other hand, several friends have said they take ukes on planes as carry on with no issue.

I called the airline, and all I could get was a C.S agent reading me the same website I'm already reading. I afraid to show up...get to gate... and have them say I have to check it.

The only plan I came up with is to pack a concert uke in a gig-bag, then place that in my checked bag and pad with with soft clothes
(t-shirts, towels, etc.)

For this group...it must be a common issue...what's you're experience with airline/uke travel?

I have traveled with as large as a parlor guitar and placed it in the overhead before and then I've been on flights where I had to put my concert uke between my feet for the flight. If I'd had the guitar with me on that flight, I'd have had to gate check it.

I travel on Hawaiian Air routinely and always take a tenor uke with me, I have never had a problem. They are though very strict about the number of carryons so I make sure I just have the uke and a shoulder bag. If you plan on a suitcase too, they might make you check something - opt for the suitcase.

Also, I don't have the link handy but there was recently a law passed that you can carry instruments as carryon as long as they fit in the overhead. I am sure that someone will link it to you here.

Also, try to board as early as possible. Those overhead compartments fill up quickly. Have a great time on your trip!

Also, I don't have the link handy but there was recently a law passed that you can carry instruments as carryon as long as they fit in the overhead.

Also, try to board as early as possible. Those overhead compartments fill up quickly.
You are so right. Just because you're allowed by law to take musical instruments as carryon doesn't mean there will actually be room for it. It's always based on "space available." Making sure you're among the earliest boarders will help ensure that you can take your uke with you into the cabin.

So seriously, unless you know you are going to be using the uke in an accepting environment almost every day, take a ukulele holiday and leave it at home for ten days.
That's a good point, too. A vacation should be a break from your regular routine. But perhaps some peoples' idea of a vacation includes the ability to play uke whenever they feel like it. :)

I've lugged ukes all over and never had a carry-on problem. Though a airline counter agent in Austria once told me that if I was questioned by on-board personnel to say it was a violin in the case. I guess the Europeans take their violins seriously!

So seriously, unless you know you are going to be using the uke in an accepting environment almost every day, take a ukulele holiday and leave it at home for ten days.

I need to take this advice- especially on shorter trips (5 days is my usual length). It does the hand/fingers good to get away from it. Makes you want to come home and play. Unless of course you're going to be playing it. But I've packed one before and taken up space, and then hardly touched it because of other commitments/other plans/other activities.... But now if I was going to Hawaii, the homeland of the ukulele, I'd probably bring one too! Enjoy the trip!

Hippie Guy (post #4) provided an excellent link to an article on flying with a musical instrument. There was an additional link to seatguru.com which provides aircraft seating plans and even photos of the interiors.

After a recent trip to Hawaii where I bought a new ukulele, I thought about starting a thread to collect such information but now I know it is available at seatguru.com.

I flew on the same aircraft to and from Hawaii so I made a point to see where I would be able to store a ukelele. I would be in a 2 seat row with a family member. The underseat space was not divided so I knew that I would be able to use the entire space. It fit my new concert size very nicely. I also had early boarding because of a frequent flyer plan so I would have also had good access to the overhead bins. The referenced link also provides information on the boarding sequences for the various airlines.

I had a brief anxious moment while waiting for the return flight because it was announced that space for carry on items would be limited because of the full flight. They even asked for volunteers to check in their carry ons.

So if you plan on taking a ukulele or buying one to bring home, it is helpful to have accurate information on how you would be able to store it safely.

Also, remember that if you take a ukulele and then buy a new one, then you have to consider how you would bring both of them home.

Looks like it's all been covered above, really, but I always strap a soprano uke in a soft case to my carry on bag. It's never been noticed by any airline staff. It's also a cheaper one so I don't mind if it gets bashed in the overhead locker!

I'm not one for holidaying from the uke - I just spend my whole trip wishing I'd brought one with me.

DO NOT STORE A UKULELE IN YOUR LUGGAGE! Its not the padding its the changes in pressure, temperature and humidity in the baggage compartment that does intruments in. And it does do them in. I've also seen baggage handlers throw or drop luggage distance that would create impact damage through the padding as well.

In addition to the overhead luggage rules most airlines have limited closet space that can be used for passenger compartment storage. The closets will not accomodate a cello sized instrument and are generally allocated on a first come first served basis. If you are not a first class passenger, elderly, handicapped, or travelling with children and wish to use this option chat up the desk attendant, preferably one who is a musician. you may be given extra consideration.

Frankly if I were going to Hawaii, I expect I will bringing a new ukulele back home with me. For airline costs and charge and the cost for a flight to Hawaii I would allocate an extra $30-$40 for a cheap uke on arrival. When I obtain the UAS inspired uke I would give the cheapy to an incoming passenger when I left. IMO any uke-less ukulele player in the arrivals corridor will be identifiable by the way their eyes light up. You can always leave the cheap uke with a note in the airport lounge too. Random acts of kindness are always appreciated.

A quick search will reveal several hundred threads about ukes and airline travel.

Flew to Phoenix and to Las Vegas in the last 3 months from Canada with my Collings Tenor without so much as a look from anyone regarding the uke. IMO there are few key strategies:

1) DON'T ask, just walk around carrying that thing like you're the King of Siam.
2) DRESS sharp, air travel used to be swanky. Dress up , look smart and confident. A slob gets asked to check his ukulele , a well dressed man or women gets the door held open for them.
3) DON'T carry anything else. Don't be guy with the wheeled carry-on that barely fits in the overhead and your ukulele ! . Check your bags. If you need another bag carry a small shoulder bag.
4) Use your very best manners at all times , SMILE !

On my last two trips I wore slacks instead of jeans , a camel coat and polished shoes. I carried a classic leather weekender ( not stuffed full ) and my ukulele. I travelled well rested and well hydrated , I used my visit the Queen manners and my best smile and the world unfolded in front of me like a series of automatic doors and moving sidewalks. Confidence is the key.

My wife and I stood in a long line at US customs with a bunch of tired stressed out people as travellers can sometimes be ( be the guy in line who helps out someone else in need ) and above all else remain calm and cool. When we neared the front of the line we encountered an obviously tired and grumpy customs agent, as we approached he pointed to the ukulele and grumped,

" What's in the case ? "
" a ukulele "
REALLY ! was his reply , his face lit up, his voice rose in pitch and he asked . Can you play it ? I answered " I've been practicing hard and am getting a little better everyday " He came back with " well maybe next time you're here if we're not so busy we'll have you play it . To which I replied I'd be delighted to.

My point is that if each of us conducts ourselves with the upmost decorum while travelling the result will be that we will collectively be cut the most slack. Ukulele players will have the reputation as the nicest of folk ( we probably already do ) . Try it and you'll find that there will always a hanger for your coat, ice for your beverage and room in the overhead bin.

For my next trip, I'd like to travel by train. I think that would be very relaxing and civilized, if only it weren't so expensive.

I put mine in a gig bag (obviously a musical insturument) and they let me treat is as carry on, beynd my overhead suit case and c pap machine. This was united Airlines.

HBolte has great advice for searching UU, not because it's bad to ask again--it's fine to ask--but bc you'll immediately get opinions from hundreds of others, tw. And they do vary, from the it's all fine (most iof them) to the nightmares. Most recent thread was last month, but some threads are super detailed on policy and experiences and nearly a hundred posts long. Do search airline ukulele.

I'm with Bill, btw. I was last in Oahu for two weeks in 2014 and, although I play my uke every day at home, I didn't bring one. Cramped hotel rooms with paper-thin walls, uke players and shops around every corner, crowded beaches with not getting sand kicked in one's face or pick-pocketed occupying every waking thought, I didn't miss it. And I didn't worry about who is stealing my thousand-dollar tenor back in the room. I'm glad I left it at home.

If I had to bring a ukulele, I'd bring a soprano (here everyone can chime in: "But my fingers are too big!", which is buffoonery, but oh well. Loblolly lol).

PS do see Taimane for free at Swim Bar right there on Waikiki every Friday at happy hour, tw. Amazing!

Last edited:
I have a Kaka travel soprano that has been to Hawaii and back packed in the middle of my checked luggage and has been packed in my carry on bag on a return flight to California. It is small enough to be a good traveller but is still a good enough instrument to allow me to satisfy my ukulele needs. I originally bought it to hopefully ease my UAS when vacationing in Hawaii. It didn't work, I bought an Islander tenor last time I was there anyway, but it was an idea.

Mxyzptik is on the right track here. I go the casual route myself. the dirt that gets recycled into a Camel Jacket on an airline is a problem. Nice to have a sharp looking jacket at your destination. I always set off metal detectors. I frequently carry a uke. Being friendly to the security people at these checkpoints has always worked for me. I the last month I have taken a uke "through" the metal detectors about ten times. No one ever questioned it at all.

I've flown with instruments far larger than a ukulele (electric basses, usually), and it's really a piece of cake.

PAY FOR PRIORITY BOARDING. The second point is key, as all of the new Airline stipulations say "As space allows" or something of that nature. When I traveled to NAMM, to get bumped to Group 1 boarding was actually only $8 more (on American), and allowed me plenty of options in terms of where to store it in the overhead. The only problem I ran into was the little puddle jumper (from Chicago to Kalamazoo), where the overheads were too small. The attendant was nice enough to allow me to store it in the closet.

HAVE A SOLID GIGBAG. I do this anyway, as the cheaper ones are little more than a dust cover. But you've all seen people shove their carry-ons - that barely fit the criteria to carry onboard the plane - into the overheads, right? Imagine if your instrument is in that overhead. Pay for a well padded gigbag that has plenty of neck support.

I am currently waiting on delivery of a uke that is only in a cardboard box, it has been across Europe and Asia, then over to Australia in an aeroplanes cargo hold, and is now in the customs house or a store in Perth, where it will be until delivery next week. Nearly every uke that is delivered has been in a cardboard box in the hold of an aeroplane for at least one leg of the trip. A well packed uke will survive the conditions in the cargo hold. Just pack it like it was packed when it was delivered, and make sure it is insured in your travel insurance.
I don't think it matters if you take it in the cabin or check it. Each method has its own risks. A problem either way is how many pieces of luggage you are allowed to carry. Sometimes it is better to ditch the bulky hardcase and pack the uke in a softcase in your suitcase, just to get rid of the extra piece of luggage.
That is kind of what I was thinking on the whole thing.

Last edited:
I'm heading to Oahu next week for a 10 day trip and want to take a uke with me. ('cause who knows if I could find one there, right?) :p

Based on my understanding of the airline's (Hawaiian Air) carry on policy, my Tenor uke would be too big to be taken as a carry on item. On the other hand, several friends have said they take ukes on planes as carry on with no issue.

I called the airline, and all I could get was a C.S agent reading me the same website I'm already reading. I afraid to show up...get to gate... and have them say I have to check it.

The only plan I came up with is to pack a concert uke in a gig-bag, then place that in my checked bag and pad with with soft clothes
(t-shirts, towels, etc.)

For this group...it must be a common issue...what's you're experience with airline/uke travel?

I take a Martin soprano in a hard case, plenty of room under the seat if you need it. Why check luggage when you're going to Hawaii? Put a few necessities in a carryon backpack. You can buy attire when you get there, you won't need much.

Flown a number of times with Ukes and guitars (Carry ons).I put the Uke, in a hardshell case, in the over head bins and my computer bag under the seat. I've never had a problem!

Good Luck!

Top Bottom