James Hill

studentaccount1

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that James Hill doesn't get talked about too much on here. Maybe no one has heard him play, but he is kinda famous in the uke world and very good.

I think he is one of (if not THE) cleanest uke players around right now. I like how he plays super fast and every note is still super clear (even in crap video recordings).

Here you go if you haven't checked him out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsOhmN2mpHI

Me and Aldrine actually got a chance to meet up with James when he was in Hawaii a couple of years ago. He's a cool guy.

Me and Aldrine actually got a chance to meet up with James when he was in Hawaii a couple of years ago. He's a cool guy.

Yep, he is more than cool. He is a great person with off the charts talents and an Excellent teacher. In his workshops he has a knack for being able to make even the very beginning players NOT feel as if they are being overwhelmed with the exercises etc. A few years back I had the privelage to sit down with him at the UGH Exhibition for 45 minutes of uninterrupted fun and talk story.

I have transcribed a number of his tunes that are available on my website for those who are up to more than a challenge. It is one thing to figure out "what should be played" and an entirely different story when it actually comes to being able to perform the stuff real time. He is definately special.

among the Germany players he is very popular and honorary member of the german ukulele club. I guess he is more popular than jake among us German Ukulele players. We don't get to see many of the more popular Ukulele Artists over here, even at Ukulele Festivals.
However, James Hill performed at the first ukulele festival. Furthermore James also plays on Risa Ukuleles (of course he doesn't only play on risas), a German brand (market leader for electric ukuleles), and therefore has some contacts to the German community, as the producer of Risa Ukuleles is a strong supporter of the German Ukulele community and also a Ukulele virtuoso.

I'm a big fan

He's definitely one of my favorites. It was him and Aldrine that inspired me to pick up a tenor. Not sure if they did the world a favor or not, but...

Anyway, anyone that hasn't watched James do Ode to a Frozen Boot on YouTube is missing out. He has serious skills and he's a great performer too.

Maybe because he often doesn't use standard tuning?

I don't think tuning has much if anything to do with it. I think most people see a YT video or something and will want to learn the song and post asking for tabs etc. I just don't think all that many of the people here are running across his videos or maybe they just realize his stuff is too complex. I doubt the average person would realize his tuning to be different just from hearing/watching one of his videos.

Yep..

Yep...James Hill is awesome. I love his signature ukes too...a "decent" price tag compared to the mysterious $5000 Jake sig. model.

Go to his website to see the G-String signature model if you have not already. It is my wallpaper on my desktop comp. in office at home..

Ode to a Frozen Boot

Ukulele Dude, Just checked out "Ode to a Frozen Boot". thanks for the heads up on that one. Serious uke pickin' no doubt. A bit untouchable to attempt for me at this stage of playing. However, James also was the first uke player that woke me up to the potential and beauty of the uke once again. Then Jake stopped by and threw some water in my face, and said "get up and get busy dude"! So naturally I did... e.lo......

One thing I have noticed is that James Hill doesn't get talked about too much on here. Maybe no one has heard him play, but he is kinda famous in the uke world and very good.

I think it might be that his music doesn't have as broad an appeal as say Jake Shimabukuro's. I totally respect James Hill's skills on the ukulele and have dowloaded his album from iTunes. However, I find myself not being able to get into his music that much. Where I could listen to many of Jake's tunes a thousand times without getting tired of them, I found myself not going back to listening to James Hill's stuff very much.

Again, James Hill is an amazing player, but I find myself admiring his playing skills more than his music. It's just a matter of different taste in music, I think.

Though james is a great ukulele player, i just can't see myself trying to play sumtin from him or listening to his music. No doubt he's awesome at the ukulele, jus his type of music can't relate to many people's musical tastes including mine, i'm really picky.

I've been trying to figure out why James isn't as popular as Jake and I think it really just comes down to the style. If you had to describe Jake's style in one word I would probably use... "epic" . There is this surging energy that you can actually feel when he is playing.

James although one of the most technically sound musicians I've ever seen, seems to lack that epic-ness. A lot of his songs have this happy sort of carefree feel to them which doesn't really draw you. They're good songs, they just don't have that "holy crap!" factor unless you really know what you're hearing.

They're both awesome though. 2 of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

I think it might be that his music doesn't have as broad an appeal as say Jake Shimabukuro's. I totally respect James Hill's skills on the ukulele and have dowloaded his album from iTunes. However, I find myself not being able to get into his music that much. Where I could listen to many of Jake's tunes a thousand times without getting tired of them, I found myself not going back to listening to James Hill's stuff very much.

Again, James Hill is an amazing player, but I find myself admiring his playing skills more than his music. It's just a matter of different taste in music, I think.

That's funny because I am feel the exact oppostie. It is all subject to taste though really. Some people like mangos and others like papayas, so I hope noone thinks I am to saying my opinion is more or less valid than anyone else's.

Anyways....

I can appreciate Jake's showmanship and especially videos of him playing, but I can't get into his music. He looks like he is trying hard and gets into it and has fun. I have fun watching him. I think that that image is a huge part of his appeal. I think it is more like he has a full "show" with lots of charisma and flashiness. That in itself is pretty impressive. After seeming him with Tommy Emmanuel, I really began to "get it" ( I think).

To me, James is more like a musician's musician to me. Not so much flash, but he makes it up with substance and skills. He is super technical, but makes it look effortless to the point that he makes it look like he doesn't even have to try... and always sounds musical to me with his playful phrasing and tasteful arrangements. I really enjoy listening to him play.

Chiyo: I think most of his songs are a step up from "standard" tuning (ADF#B or aDF#B if I am not mistaken)? That is pretty approachable. Even Jake delves into alternate tunings on some of his songs though.

ADF#B is already a pretty standard tuning for most soprano, even this old skool acoustics shop i went to had ALL their ukuleles strung in that key, i was surprised. I have my soprano strung up this way also.

ADF#B is already a pretty standard tuning for most soprano, even this old skool acoustics shop i went to had ALL their ukuleles strung in that key, i was surprised. I have my soprano strung up this way also.

You almost never see ukulele's tuned that way in Hawaii but from talking to James, he says most people in Canada tune their ukes like that.

I can appreciate Jake's showmanship and especially videos of him playing, but I can't get into his music.

I hear this quite often and I usually wonder if it is based on just a small portion of his original material. In other words, how much of his music has the listener really heard. I just find it hard to believe that someone couldn't get into stuff like Blue Roses Falling or Touch etc. But I do understand where you are coming from though. I don't necessarily get into "all" his stuff either.

To me, James is more like a musician's musician to me. Not so much flash, but he makes it up with substance and skills. He is super technical, but makes it look effortless to the point that he makes it look like he doesn't even have to try... and always sounds musical to me with his playful phrasing and tasteful arrangements. I really enjoy listening to him play.

Exactly. Even though Jake is also a monster player much of his material is, with the proper guideance, accessible to the intermediate player . The flashy right hand tapping is impressive stuff but can be accomplished by most intermediate with a little practice. On the other hand I'm guessing very few will be able to master James' "mono strum" technique. It took him 3 years to perfect and he worked on it daily.

I can't think of a single song, aside from Super Mario, that any of us mere mortals would be able to play with confidence. I can't even play Super Mario. I can teach someone how to play it but I could not perform the song at gig. His stuff is just too difficult.

You almost never see ukulele's tuned that way in Hawaii but from talking to James, he says most people in Canada tune their ukes like that.

I'm pretty sure ADF#B was the preferred tuning back in the 20s and 30s. They didn't have much in the way of mics for the instruments during stage performances and rumor has it the higher tuning was preferred because it provided additional volume with the added string tension.

yeah washington is near canada haha so i guess thats why. i'll have to drive up to canada to check their ukulele stores ooot.

Last edited:
I just find it hard to believe that someone couldn't get into stuff like Blue Roses Falling or Touch etc. But I do understand where you are coming from though. I don't necessarily get into "all" his stuff either..

Hey Dom, I have heard those songs. I don't know though. I get the sense of drama he conjures in his live shows. He really is a fantastic showman. Even people who don't get music or get the ukulele can get that from watching him. That is definitely something. I respect that, I hope I don't sound like I am hating on him. I think maybe I just don't get his music. I didn't get lots of Beatles songs at first either. Now I love them. I guess there is hope. I've been trying....

Let me also add that, being from Hawaii, it is really cool to see a local musician get props. It is like seeing the guy you played high school b-ball with go to the NBA or something.

Exactly. Even though Jake is also a monster player much of his material is, with the proper guideance, accessible to the intermediate player . The flashy right hand tapping is impressive stuff but can be accomplished by most intermediate with a little practice. On the other hand I'm guessing very few will be able to master James' "mono strum" technique. It took him 3 years to perfect and he worked on it daily.

I can't think of a single song, aside from Super Mario, that any of us mere mortals would be able to play with confidence. I can't even play Super Mario. I can teach someone how to play it but I could not perform the song at gig. His stuff is just too difficult.

That is how I feel too. Technically, James Hill is sick. *edit:removed a comparison to a guitar player. no comparison needed*

Last edited:

That could be a reason that James isn't as popular either. The ability to play a song lets the song become even more popular because Jake himself doesn't need to be playing it.

If you look at the most popular songs in music, they're generally not that difficult. Stairway to Heaven anyone? :p

Top Bottom