You are exiled to a desert island and can only take 5 uke rekkids...

H

Hippie Dribble

What music would help brighten your lonely days?

I have so many ukulele-based albums I adore so it'd be a crazy hard choice, but for what it's worth, I'll kick things off:

1. The Old Spice Boys - Alibi of Birdland
2. Cliff Edwards - Singin' In The Rain
3. Papa Lemon Nash - '59-'61 Oster & Allen recordings
4. John King - Royal Hawaiian Music
5. Ukulele Club de Paris - Manuia!

:)

(hoping this thread might be a window into what different members enjoy listening to and playing, as well as a way of broadening each others' horizons maybe) x

Do they have to be uke albums?

If not:

1. Consoler of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
2. Nevermind - Nirvana
3. Odyssey No. 5 - Powderfinger
4. Rumors - Fleetwood Mac
5. Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike - Gogol Bordello

Gotta have some variety.

Do they have to be uke albums?

If not:

1. Consoler of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
2. Nevermind - Nirvana
3. Odyssey No. 5 - Powderfinger
4. Rumors - Fleetwood Mac
5. Gypsy Punks: Underdog World Strike - Gogol Bordello

Gotta have some variety.
Nice list brother. Rumors is right up in my all-time list also. And nice to see an Aussie band in the mix. But yeah mate, for the purposes of this thread I was sorta thinking ukulele music...

Nice list brother. Rumors is right up in my all-time list also. And nice to see an Aussie band in the mix. But yeah mate, for the purposes of this thread I was sorta thinking ukulele music...

Ah, well I'm out then.

Maybe this thread'll give me some recommendations because the only uke album I own is Vedder's.

Aloha Jon,
Mine would all be hawaiian or local. Many won't know some.. kalapana,
Iz, gabby, na leo pilimihana, raitea....

John King's Bach album
Ukulele Mozart - Tomotaka Matsui and Kenji Kondo
Ohta-San's Bach album
Greg Hawkes - Beatles Uke

and...

am I breaking the rules if I include The Who's By Numbers strictly for the track Blue, Red and Grey? Because it's probably my all-time favorite ukulele song and I don't think I'd survive long without it :)

The Old Silo by James Hill
Cane Fire by Peter Moon Band
'Ukulele Journey by Herb Ohta Jr.
Hawaiian Style 'Ukulele by Troy Fernandez
Tell U What by Brittni Paiva

Aloha Jon,
Mine would all be hawaiian or local. Many won't know some.. kalapana,
Iz, gabby, na leo pilimihana, raitea....

My trip last year opened my eyes to some gorgeous Hawaiian music Bruddah, and to see some incredible players and singers live was a great blessing to me. I'll always remnember the trip to HMS and filming bruddah Aaron jamming out. Legend of a guy. Also got to see Weldon Kekauoha (remember? ) with you and Greg...his rekkid "Pilialoha'' is gorgeous. And then listened to and spoke with CJ Helekahi and Leokane Pryor when me and Di were on Maui. Their rekkid "No Ka Pueo" is a stunner. Harmonies to die for. Throw the myriad of curvy swaying wahines in and it was a trip I'll always hold dear mate. :)

John King's Bach album
Ukulele Mozart - Tomotaka Matsui and Kenji Kondo
Ohta-San's Bach album
Greg Hawkes - Beatles Uke

and...

am I breaking the rules if I include The Who's By Numbers strictly for the track Blue, Red and Grey? Because it's probably my all-time favorite ukulele song and I don't think I'd survive long without it :)

Wonderful selections M!!! Haven't heard John King's Bach rekkid, need to address that. And thanks for that link. Incredible! :)

The Old Silo by James Hill
Cane Fire by Peter Moon Band
'Ukulele Journey by Herb Ohta Jr.
Hawaiian Style 'Ukulele by Troy Fernandez
Tell U What by Brittni Paiva

Fantastic Brad. I hear so much about Peter Moon but never heard his stuff. Off to the tube...bout time I got that sorted right now. Thanks for playing mate.

Some great suggestions there. I'd have
Ukulele Uff and Lonesome Dave featuring Brother Bill (https://www.facebook.com/UkuleleUffAndLonesomeDave)
- this is a fabulous CD by a current act with a real flair for the 20s/30s and Hawaiian styles (and they're great blokes, too!)
Lemon Nash, Papa Lemon
Ukulele Ike, Vintage Recordings
Roy Smeck, Wizard of the Strings
Anything with Del Rey on it! Maybe Rocket Red and Ruby Chard with Adam Franklin, because it has nice a nice 'let's get together and play' feel, plus I get to have two great players for the price of one!

Last edited:
If I were exiled to some far off place I would take my ukulele but no records or music at all! I would learn the local music and meet the local musicians. This is probably not the type of answer you had in mind Hippie Dribble, so I would be interested in the classic ukulele music of the twenties to forties. Smeck, Formby, etc, the pop standards of the period.

I don't think it would be necessary though. Even if I was exiled to a place like Tasmania I expect I would find good musicians, good music and good ukulele players!

Some great suggestions there. I'd have
Ukulele Uff and Lonesome Dave featuring Brother Bill (https://www.facebook.com/UkuleleUffAndLonesomeDave)
Lemon Nash, Papa Lemon - this is a fabulous CD by a current act with a real flair for the 20s/30s and Hawaiann styles (and they're great blokes, too!)
Ukulele Ike, Vintage Recordings
Roy Smeck, Wizard of the Strings
Anything with Del Rey on it! Maybe Rocket Red and Ruby Chard with Adam Franklin, because it has nice a nice 'let's get together and play' feel, plus I get to have two great players for the price of one!

Bringin da good stuff Phil. Love everything you've listed there...

except the 2nd listing confuses me...are you saying there's a uke group called 'Lemon Nash' who have a rekkid called "Papa Lemon"? if so that sounds too weird as you probably know, Arhoolie dug up some old recordings by Papa Lemon Nash last year from '59-61 and released them...

Aside from that, I wanna be on your deserted island mate. Cheers!

If I were exiled to some far off place I would take my ukulele but no records or music at all! I would learn the local music and meet the local musicians. This is probably not the type of answer you had in mind Hippie Dribble, so I would be interested in the classic ukulele music of the twenties to forties. Smeck, Formby, etc, the pop standards of the period.

I don't think it would be necessary though. Even if I was exiled to a place like Tasmania I expect I would find good musicians, good music and good ukulele players!

Great answer Tommy. Trust you to think outside the box. Cheers brother.

But I must inform you...before your date of exile, your ukuleles were confiscated and burnt by Da Man and you have nothing else in your possession but good memories of playing the instrument and 5 uke rekkids. And no other humanity to be found anywhere upon the isle. :p

Pure Heart -- there are 2
Ka'au Crater Boys -- to keep it limited, I'd just bring The Best Of...
K Town Heroes -- Eat, Sleep, Music. (Europa is to die for)
And the last one I am waiting get -- the new Craig Chee/Sarah Maisel CD. I've heard a few songs. What I've heard is fabulous.

I go for Hawaiian ukulele music. I just never get tired of listening to it

Last edited:
Definitely a repertoire of Hawaiian medley songs!

Iz, Paul Hemmings, Eddie Vedder, Gordon Mark, Corey Fujimoto. Sorry I don't know the names of the CDs but I like variety

This is VERY difficult.

The painful short list for me would be...

1. Jake Shimabukuro - "Live" (even if only for this rendition of 'Piano Forte', I never tire of that song :))
2. James Hill - "Man With A Love Song"
3. Daniel Ho & Tia Carrere - "'ikena"
4. Liz & Jim Beloff - "Rare Air"
5. Kalei Gamiao - "Redefined"

Others to wish for, later on should I come upon an iPod washed ashore with a solar panel for recharging would be The Jives Aces, Roy Smeck, Arthur Godfrey, Lyle Ritz, Gerald Ross, Sarah Maisel, Craig Chee, Corey Fujimoto, Chris Fuchigami, Brittni Paiva, Taimane, Pure Heart, George Formby, Mr B. The Gentleman Rhymer, Mersey Belles, Paul Hemmings, Abe Lagrimas and Brad Bordessa...

Jimmy Buffett.

Cliff Edwards: Singin' In The Rain (the solo recordings)
Cliff Edwards: Ukulele Ike (his last recordings, also solo)
Papa Lemon Nash: New Orleans Ukulele Maestro & Tent Show Trobadour (the Arhoolie set)
Herb Ohta, Sr: Ukulele Bach
Various Artists: The Art of Solo Ukulele

Top Bottom