Time for Mucinex

Ukejenny

Reaction score
The UBA performs tomorrow, possibly outside, and I am wheezing and coughing today. My chest it completely congested. I've started Mucinex and am about to start other meds. Any kind of drink that isn't alcoholic that I can start drinking? I have to drive today, so I don't want booze until tonight.

Ummm...

Water? Congestion has a hard time maintaining itself in the presence of adequate hydration. Just taking a medication like Mucinex requires sugnificantly more water intake than normal. And, substitutes for straight water don't really count; too much noise in the background.

You can wash out your nose and sinus with NeilMed Sinus Rinse.

Don't get the cuter looking neti pot system has it doesn't generate enough pressure to really clean and moisturize.

This product is actually recommended by ENT Docs.

Large pharmacies like Walmart and Walgreens it.

I've used it for years on doctors advice and think it's a great thing to do periodically as you choose even if there is no problem.

You'll need to get a gallon of distilled water for the rinse which is recommended for safety reasons. Gallon will last many rinses.

Simple and quick.

Jeff

Water, lots and lots.

Do not drink distilled water or zero water. Do drink more filtered or spring water remember our brains are mostly water after all.

Its is amazing what enough water will do for your body and how fast not enough water can mess you up.

Everyone reading this go right now and drink a glass of water "It does a body better than milk"!

~peace~

All these water comments.... I need to pee.

I have used a Neti pot and it helps, but my allergies cause a lot of inflammation and I have a nasal spray for that. Hydration is key, I agree! I seem to be holding my own right now and I'm staying on top of it.

I will look into that sinus rinse. Thank you all!!!

All these water comments.... I need to pee.

I have used a Neti pot and it helps, but my allergies cause a lot of inflammation and I have a nasal spray for that. Hydration is key, I agree! I seem to be holding my own right now and I'm staying on top of it.

I will look into that sinus rinse. Thank you all!!!

I don't have any suggestions that any better than the ones here, but I sure hope you feel better fast!! My allergies have kicked my butt, the past couple weeks.

Everything is blooming in Alabama right now. The privet is the worst for me and my kids.

Some nose spray's work to open your passages by shrinking tiny blood vessels and capillaries. If it's for very short term use like a single day or two it's not so bad. With repeated use it can irritate the blood vessels and get you stuck in a cycle of using more to deal with the irritation of previous use. If you have a blockage in a very small area you can drip some of the medication onto a Q-tip and just touch the important area. Get professional advice.

Just recently another type of spray became available without prescription. I forget the name but should be easy to figure out at a pharmacy. It works by blocking the allergen particles from connecting with the receptors in the cells that are affected. It is not an immediate relief however. Best used at the very start of your allergy season. Please don't take my word on all this but check with your pharmacist.

Sinus rinse works directly by washing out the allergens. You can use this daily if you feel the need. You can warm the water you're using in the microwave and then testi it on your wrist as you would do for a baby bottle. Just use slightly warm, never hot. It comes with small packets that will keep the pH balance correct. Distilled water is used so that you are not taking the chance of flushing any bacteria or other water bourn contaminants up into your sinuses. It can feel a bit strange first couple of times but becomes pleasant as you get familiar with it.

My experience with pharmacists is that they are happy to be asked questions.

Top Bottom