UU podcast about motivation

sukie

Aloha
UU VIP
Reaction score
Last night I listened to the UU guys podcast about staying motivated. It was really interesting and made me think about what keeps me going. I also kinda hoping it will help me not be so hard on myself. What I do is supposed to be fun. But it IS hard work.
Anyway...I recommend checking it out.

What keeps you motivated?

Listening to it now... good stuff.

A few thoughts, which I'll preface by saying I'm a quitter by nature. I'm impatient and I never think I'm "good enough" - I have perfectionist tendencies and I'm really hard on myself. In my far younger years, I quit: school (high school dropout!), piano, guitar, voice, ballet, and writing. And ukulele, my first instrument when I was a small child, although that was more due to life circumstances changing than a conscious decision to quit.

I picked up the uke in my mid-40s almost as a joke - I saw Janet Klein perform and thought "Hey, I could do that!" - I fully expected to never do anything beyond take an 8-week class and strum a few chords and play a few standards. Somewhere in those first 8 weeks I discovered John King and was absolutely amazed, since I had no idea a ukulele could do that. And somewhere in those first 8 weeks I discovered that I could start from almost zero - I remembered very little from childhood music studies - and see measurable progress on a regular basis. Those 8 weeks ended, I signed up for another 8 weeks, then private lessons, and - here I am nearly 6 years later, still at it.

I think for me, measurable progress is the key thing. I don't need to be perfect, I don't need to be the best, I just need to know that I'm getting better. And I am, because I work at it - and this is the element that was missing from my younger years, and I think is missing from others who start enthusiastically then quit. Going to lessons or classes in and of itself isn't enough - you have to do the work! And if you're lucky, like me - unlike my job, with ukulele the "work" doesn't feel like work at all.

Last night I listened to the UU guys podcast about staying motivated. It was really interesting and made me think about what keeps me going. I also kinda hoping it will help me not be so hard on myself. What I do is supposed to be fun. But it IS hard work.
Anyway...I recommend checking it out.

What keeps you motivated?

I have noticed no hard work involved. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I can't comment on the video, as I haven't watched it. But three people have influenced my thinking this winter. I'll start with my lovely wife. Before I would play my ukulele for anyone, I would preface it by saying something like I'm just a beginner, or that I'm not really very good. My wife asked me what I thought I was accomplishing by telling people that. She told me to quit doing it. So I did, and I think that the change from the negative to the positive actually made me a more confident player. Two, I took an art class, and one of the first things the instructor said was that seventy five percent of being a good artist was opening up your mind to the fact that you are a good artist. He said the rest was mechanics. That very first day of art class, I really felt like an artist. Third was yesterday. I took my first voice lesson. The voice coach said that the biggest obstacles to singing was negativity. He said that if you think that you can't sing well, that negativity will manifest itself in your head, and you will not sing well. I wrote about it in the singing forum. I went into that lesson thinking that I couldn't sing. I walked out a half hour later realizing that with a little work and practice, I am going to be a very good singer. Those three things have really changed my way of thinking recently. I am a much more positive person, and I think that it has made a huge difference. I really think that we invent a lot of our own struggles.

Last edited:
I would say, for me anyway, that it is not "hard work" but rather "a lot of effort". You have to enjoy the journey as much as the destination. If I can see improvement by repeating something difficult (like playing that part 10 times), then it becomes a satisfying activity. I might not get it right every time, but when I do, it is very rewarding. I find I do better if I don't stress too much over mistakes. Sometimes worrying about making a mistake, is the very distraction that causes mistakes.

–Lori

I think for me, measurable progress is the key thing. I don't need to be perfect, I don't need to be the best, I just need to know that I'm getting better. And I am, because I work at it - and this is the element that was missing from my younger years, and I think is missing from others who start enthusiastically then quit. Going to lessons or classes in and of itself isn't enough - you have to do the work! And if you're lucky, like me - unlike my job, with ukulele the "work" doesn't feel like work at all.

Yes x 1,000. I had the (mis?)fortune of being the youngest sibling, and as a result, my parents didn't force me to sit at the piano or endure voice lessons or do any of the other drudgeries that my sibs hated at the time. Now, they're accomplished enough and singing and playing are second nature.

About 18 months into uking, I still struggle, especially with singing while playing, but I am noticing gradual and progressive improvement. And I look forward to my daily sessions, deciding which instrument to play, what songs or styles I want to practice, etc. Being a Seasonista offers new adventures every week. So yes, it's work, but a fun kind of work.

I would say, for me anyway, that it is not "hard work" but rather "a lot of effort".

That's a good distinction - a much better way of capturing the difference I was trying to express between my job, and the work that goes into becoming a better player. There's not much effort involved in my job; I just do it and get it done and don't have to think about it much. But with playing, I have to approach it from many perspectives both physical and intellectual. And that's a fun challenge!

Another thought, especially addressing the bit in the podcast about beginners starting out with enthusiasm but then having that enthusiasm fade as the honeymoon period wears off: thanks to the media, a lot of people come to ukulele thinking it's "easy" to play. (Hey kids! You can play in fifteen minutes!) They want a silver bullet that will magically make them a musician. When they learn that this will not happen, they get discouraged. (My friend who teaches uke sees this happen time and time again.)

In my case, when I found out there were no magic shortcuts - now *that* was motivating :)

Top Bottom