Shipping a Uke CONUS to HI

vanflynn

-----
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a freind that needs to ship a uke from Minnesota to Hawaii. I was wondering if there is a prefered shipper (Fed Ex, USPS, UPS) for that?

Thanks for any help

Jim

I recently shipped one to Hawaii and USPS had the cheapest rate. I paid $67 (with insurance) to get it there in 2-3 days, but I could have chosen a slower option for around $30. Your mileage may vary, depending on size, weight, and insurance.

UPS wanted over $100 ($119, I think it was) to ship the same box, which is why I took it USPS.

I bought a fluke from Tennessee and there is a way to do it with USPS. .this was 3 years ago
But the seller was very experienced and knew how to do it. I got it in 4 to 5 days... cost 16.00 yes that is right

I recently received a uke directly from Koaloha factory. They used UPS ground (yes, I never thought there's ground option from Hawaii).
Brian mentioned over the phone an economical option. Then I realized that it's air from Hawaii to CA, then ground from there to wherever destination here in Mainland. UPS employees call this option "hybrid."

That being said, it took a week from HI to the east coast. Since origin is in MN, it might be shorter transit time.

I did this a couple years ago, and at the time USPS was about 2/3 lower cost than UPS's slowest shipping option. IIRC I shipped USPS Priority Mail, fully insured for the MSRP of the uke, and it was around $50 for a concert size uke with a case. All went well, but there were a few nerve-wracking days when the uke seemed to go missing - at the time, the tracking number they gave me was a special one that didn't work on the normal tracking site; only the USPS workers could look it up.

at the time, the tracking number they gave me was a special one that didn't work on the normal tracking site; only the USPS workers could look it up.

I'm happy to report that my tracking number (which was the insurance number) worked perfectly, and I tracked it all the way there with no issues.

I've used FedEx several times. Luckily, I can ship items from here at work. We do business with several companies on the islands. I shipped a 7.30 pound package (ukulele) to Oahu for $21.79 FedEx second day. For Kamaka to ship the ukulele back home it would have been UPS "ground" (Oahu to NH) for $65 one way. To avoid having the ukulele bounce around in a truck for seven days, I had them use my same FedEx number for the return trip (same money). I sent Stan a gig bag last month - I think FedEx P2 was just over $9.

UPS recently upped their rates. I don't know about FedEx as I have never used them. I believe USPS is the cheapest way to go. USPS has updated their tracking system and it works well.

I just shipped a concert uke w/case from Indiana USPS priority mail (with $500 worth of insurance) for ~$26. When I calculated the price on-line it quoted me almost $60, so I was very relieved when the price was less than half that! I sent on a Thursday and it was there Saturday (wasn't delivered until Monday since the shop was closed on Sat).

I recently received a uke directly from Koaloha factory. They used UPS ground (yes, I never thought there's ground option from Hawaii).
Brian mentioned over the phone an economical option. Then I realized that it's air from Hawaii to CA, then ground from there to wherever destination here in Mainland. UPS employees call this option "hybrid."
I used to work for FedEx and never heard the term "hybrid" applied like this, but it's an accurate description. If you live in or near Los Angeles, ground service to or from Hawaii will be as efficient as air service.

Top Bottom