Old Martin Suprano

Osprey

Reaction score
Was visiting a childhood friend. In our discussion it came up that I had recently taken up the ukulele. He said his Dad had an old ukulele and after digging around in a closet he came up wth the one in the attached picture.
I looked it over and it had Martin stamped in the back of the headstock and inside the sound hole. It has one crack along the side of the body. I told him he had a real gem. He says he knows his Dad had it in the early fifties, maybe even longer.
Any thoughts on its value?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 107
Value , I would say depending on the crack , $200 to $400 . A vintage case would add to the value. The stamp on the back of the headstock would put it in the
1930's . Style 0 .

Last edited:
I'd put it closer to the $400 range. When it's cleaned up and the crack repaired "properly", perhaps a little more. Coolkayaker1 could likely give you some additional info.

very cool! Looks like tuning pegs, probably 20's vintage. Depending on if that crack affects sound and/or stability, could be over $500.

Yesterday at the Portland Builder's Show, I listened to a conversation between a very well known builder and a woman with her father's Martin. The Logo is on the front, and it is pristine in the original case. It was suggested that $1000 might not be out of line. What yours may lack in condition, it may offset with the earlier backside logo. Without seeing the size and location of the crack, there is no way to know what affect it has on its ability to produce sound. Some of us prefer the trademark in the back....it's having a Martin without having to wipe off the slobbers from people drooling on the gold lettering on the front side. Please be very careful of the competency of the person who repairs it. Does Martin have a repair shop in Nazareth,Pa. ?

I wish it was my Dad's closet the Martin came out of but it was a family friend. I have told him he has a real gem and he should take special care of it. I will talk to him further about steps to take. Neither he or his Sister play ukulele so I expect it will eventually will be sold. I would love to get my hands on it but it is part of the father's estate. Not sure of how it will be handled.

If it was my Dad's and I didn't want it I'd much rather sell it to a friend than to some stranger, even for less money.

And I'd much rather buy one from a friend knowing it was their Dad's.

Last edited:
If it was my Dad's and I didn't want it I'd much rather sell it to a friend than to some stranger, even for less money.

And I'd much rather buy one from a friend knowing it was their Dad's.
I agree with you Kayak Jim. I may approach them at the right time for a mutually beneficial exchange, but they just lost Thoreau Dad a few months after losing their Mom. I don't want to appear to be taking advantage of their situation.
Thier Dad was born in 1915 lived an interesting life. I took trumpet lessons from him when I was a boy. I would love to have the ukulele because it was his as much as for what it is.

Top Bottom