Jake's Fan Club

pwest71

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Just wondering how many here are members of Jake's official fan club. I was thinking of joining, but wanted to see if anyone else was a member and if they thought it was worth the $35 per year to join. Any input is appreciated.

Paul

Nope.

Seriously had thought about it, as he is a brilliant technical player, but when I saw a load of tabs on Dominator's site had notes saying "Files have been removed per Jake's request", I suddenly saw the guy in a different light.

Suddenly not so interested in him at all now. :confused: Won't be rushing to buy more CDs either.

buddhu,

I've talk to Dominator about that, and he explained it, as I initially had the same feeling as you. It's more of the possibility of problems with his record company, and he also wants people to learn more than just a part of a song, he wants people to learn different ways of playing and not just snippets of a song to impress someone...That's the gist of it. Dom could probably explain it a little better/more clearly...

Thanks for the response though.

Paul

and not just snippets of a song to impress someone...
Who says we only learn snippets of a song to impress someone and not just learn it because we like to play it? But yea I get what your saying as a whole

Seriously had thought about it, as he is a brilliant technical player, but when I saw a load of tabs on Dominator's site had notes saying "Files have been removed per Jake's request", I suddenly saw the guy in a different light.
So in other words you completely dismissed a brilliant artist and genuinely nice guy based on your interpretation of a single statement on Dom's web site without at least emailing Dom or Jake and asking for details? Wow.

So in other words you completely dismissed a brilliant artist and genuinely nice guy based on your interpretation of a single statement on Dom's web site without at least emailing Dom or Jake and asking for details? Wow.

Wow, you've never judged a book by it's cover? Yet feel the need to call out someone that made a mistake and has acctually learned something from their mistake. Wow.

buddhu,

I've talk to Dominator about that, and he explained it, as I initially had the same feeling as you. It's more of the possibility of problems with his record company, and he also wants people to learn more than just a part of a song, he wants people to learn different ways of playing and not just snippets of a song to impress someone...That's the gist of it. Dom could probably explain it a little better/more clearly...

Thanks for the response though.

Paul

Hmm. May well be more to it than initially struck me, but it makes a kind of poor impression, IMO. YMMV.

Still, different people see things in different ways.

I appreciate you putting me straight. Thanks.

Wow, you've never judged a book by it's cover? Yet feel the need to call out someone that made a mistake and has acctually learned something from their mistake. Wow.
When someone slams a person I respect in a public forum based on a superficial and unfair judgment then yes, I feel the need to call them out.

LOL. Calm down, man.

I never dismissed Jake completely, and I acknowledged his abilities in my post.

Personally (and this is IMO and I acknowledge the others see things differently), my feelings about artists are coloured by what I see of their actions and attitudes.

For example, Tim O'Brien and Hayseed Dixie both actively encourage fans taping and videoing their live shows. Wow, what stand-up guys. My CD and video racks are full of their stuff (and I'm singing their praises here). What goes around comes around.

Other artists and record companies are more uptight. I don't enjoy that. I gravitate naturally towards the people I see working with their fans.

I'm sure Jake is a great bloke - He's certainly a great player - but his people made a request that the files be withdrawn. When you go to Dominator's great site that is what you see. You don't see any obvious sign that they asked for an explanation be given so no one got a wrong impression.

Not dissing anyone here, simply absorbing my own impressions.

That ok with you?

When someone slams a person I respect in a public forum based on a superficial and unfair judgment then yes, I feel the need to call them out.

And I am offended by your claim that I "slammed" Jake. I did nothing of the kind.

Please don't misrepresent what I say, sir.

Drat.

pwest71, I apologise for knocking your thread off its intended direction, bro. Didn't intend to. :eek:

No worries. I was kind of in the same frame of mind when I saw the message on Dom's site as well. I did email him about it and found the info I relayed earlier in the thread. He/they should come out with a book of transcriptions already though and make the money they probably could off of it. I know I would buy it. I've learned quite a bit from figuring out his songs...At least about Uke, I've been playing guitar for 27 years now..

Back on topic -- no, even though I feel I am one of Jake's biggest fans (he is after all an ukulele God!), I don't see a need to pay $35 to join his fan club. I haven't figured out what you get for $35. You can still go to his web site and learn a lot of stuff, etc.

And I am most anxious to buy his new CD.

Sukie,

That's where I've been for a few years now, debating the value. I will say, the new Live CD is AWESOME!! DEFINITELY pick it up.

Yeah, I've checked that out, but wish they would give even SHORT one-time access so you could see what all is in there...Oh well, maybe I'll be the guinea pig for everyone here....I'll let you all know if/when I do it and how it is...

I, personally, am of the belief that fan clubs that cost money are a waste of my hard(ly)-earned dimes. I prefer to be a fan for free. :shaka:

Top Bottom