PDA

View Full Version : Jake's Fan Club

pwest71
03-10-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey everybody,

Just wondering how many here are members of Jake's official fan club. I was thinking of joining, but wanted to see if anyone else was a member and if they thought it was worth the $35 per year to join. Any input is appreciated.

Paul

buddhuu
03-10-2009, 04:51 AM
Nope.

Seriously had thought about it, as he is a brilliant technical player, but when I saw a load of tabs on Dominator's site had notes saying "Files have been removed per Jake's request", I suddenly saw the guy in a different light.

Suddenly not so interested in him at all now. :confused: Won't be rushing to buy more CDs either.

pwest71
03-10-2009, 04:55 AM
buddhu,

I've talk to Dominator about that, and he explained it, as I initially had the same feeling as you. It's more of the possibility of problems with his record company, and he also wants people to learn more than just a part of a song, he wants people to learn different ways of playing and not just snippets of a song to impress someone...That's the gist of it. Dom could probably explain it a little better/more clearly...

Thanks for the response though.

Paul

UkuleleD
03-10-2009, 05:32 AM
and not just snippets of a song to impress someone...
Who says we only learn snippets of a song to impress someone and not just learn it because we like to play it? But yea I get what your saying as a whole

cpatch
03-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Seriously had thought about it, as he is a brilliant technical player, but when I saw a load of tabs on Dominator's site had notes saying "Files have been removed per Jake's request", I suddenly saw the guy in a different light.
So in other words you completely dismissed a brilliant artist and genuinely nice guy based on your interpretation of a single statement on Dom's web site without at least emailing Dom or Jake and asking for details? Wow.

dnewton2
03-10-2009, 06:34 AM
So in other words you completely dismissed a brilliant artist and genuinely nice guy based on your interpretation of a single statement on Dom's web site without at least emailing Dom or Jake and asking for details? Wow.

Wow, you've never judged a book by it's cover? Yet feel the need to call out someone that made a mistake and has acctually learned something from their mistake. Wow.

buddhuu
03-10-2009, 06:42 AM
buddhu,

I've talk to Dominator about that, and he explained it, as I initially had the same feeling as you. It's more of the possibility of problems with his record company, and he also wants people to learn more than just a part of a song, he wants people to learn different ways of playing and not just snippets of a song to impress someone...That's the gist of it. Dom could probably explain it a little better/more clearly...

Thanks for the response though.

Paul

Hmm. May well be more to it than initially struck me, but it makes a kind of poor impression, IMO. YMMV.

Still, different people see things in different ways.

I appreciate you putting me straight. Thanks.

cpatch
03-10-2009, 06:48 AM
Wow, you've never judged a book by it's cover? Yet feel the need to call out someone that made a mistake and has acctually learned something from their mistake. Wow.
When someone slams a person I respect in a public forum based on a superficial and unfair judgment then yes, I feel the need to call them out.

buddhuu
03-10-2009, 06:52 AM

LOL. Calm down, man.

I never dismissed Jake completely, and I acknowledged his abilities in my post.

Personally (and this is IMO and I acknowledge the others see things differently), my feelings about artists are coloured by what I see of their actions and attitudes.

For example, Tim O'Brien and Hayseed Dixie both actively encourage fans taping and videoing their live shows. Wow, what stand-up guys. My CD and video racks are full of their stuff (and I'm singing their praises here). What goes around comes around.

Other artists and record companies are more uptight. I don't enjoy that. I gravitate naturally towards the people I see working with their fans.

I'm sure Jake is a great bloke - He's certainly a great player - but his people made a request that the files be withdrawn. When you go to Dominator's great site that is what you see. You don't see any obvious sign that they asked for an explanation be given so no one got a wrong impression.

Not dissing anyone here, simply absorbing my own impressions.

That ok with you?

buddhuu
03-10-2009, 06:54 AM
When someone slams a person I respect in a public forum based on a superficial and unfair judgment then yes, I feel the need to call them out.

And I am offended by your claim that I "slammed" Jake. I did nothing of the kind.

Please don't misrepresent what I say, sir.

buddhuu
03-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Drat.

pwest71, I apologise for knocking your thread off its intended direction, bro. Didn't intend to. :o

pwest71
03-10-2009, 07:11 AM
No worries. I was kind of in the same frame of mind when I saw the message on Dom's site as well. I did email him about it and found the info I relayed earlier in the thread. He/they should come out with a book of transcriptions already though and make the money they probably could off of it. I know I would buy it. I've learned quite a bit from figuring out his songs...At least about Uke, I've been playing guitar for 27 years now..

sukie
03-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Back on topic -- no, even though I feel I am one of Jake's biggest fans (he is after all an ukulele God!), I don't see a need to pay $35 to join his fan club. I haven't figured out what you get for $35. You can still go to his web site and learn a lot of stuff, etc.

And I am most anxious to buy his new CD.

pwest71
03-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Sukie,

That's where I've been for a few years now, debating the value. I will say, the new Live CD is AWESOME!! DEFINITELY pick it up.

cpatch
03-10-2009, 07:27 AM
I haven't figured out what you get for $35.
There's a list of what you get on this page:

http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/?t=fanclubsignup

The most value seems to come from access to the online media library, although I have no idea exactly what's available there.

pwest71
03-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Yeah, I've checked that out, but wish they would give even SHORT one-time access so you could see what all is in there...Oh well, maybe I'll be the guinea pig for everyone here....I'll let you all know if/when I do it and how it is...

sukie
03-10-2009, 07:39 AM
There's a list of what you get on this page:

http://www.jakeshimabukuro.com/?t=fanclubsignup

The most value seems to come from access to the online media library, although I have no idea exactly what's available there.

I think that's kinda my point.

Captain Google
03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I, personally, am of the belief that fan clubs that cost money are a waste of my hard(ly)-earned dimes. I prefer to be a fan for free. :shaka:

deach
03-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I just joined and I don't even like his music that much. He's so skinny that I thought by joining, he could use some of that money to buy a chipwich or two.

HaileISela
03-10-2009, 09:10 AM
we could, of course, open a social group here on UU as there is one fro the fans of Seeso and those of Aldrine, just for Jake...

sukie
03-10-2009, 09:15 AM
we could, of course, open a social group here on UU as there is one fro the fans of Seeso and those of Aldrine, just for Jake...

Will it cost money?

russ_buss
03-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Will it cost money?

it will cost UU points... and blood.

haole
03-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Not a member, because I'm just too poor for it. :B

I don't think he's against people tabbing his songs; it was likely his record company's decision to go after tabbers. He's a great guy, and I'm sure that if it were up to him (and not his "people") it would be a little easier to find his tabs.

pwest71
03-10-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree, his label is probably the culprit...Oh well...

I signed up for the fan club, we'll see how it looks sometime tomorrow...

Pippin
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
LOL. Calm down, man.

I never dismissed Jake completely, and I acknowledged his abilities in my post.

Personally (and this is IMO and I acknowledge the others see things differently), my feelings about artists are coloured by what I see of their actions and attitudes.

For example, Tim O'Brien and Hayseed Dixie both actively encourage fans taping and videoing their live shows. Wow, what stand-up guys. My CD and video racks are full of their stuff (and I'm singing their praises here). What goes around comes around.

Other artists and record companies are more uptight. I don't enjoy that. I gravitate naturally towards the people I see working with their fans.

I'm sure Jake is a great bloke - He's certainly a great player - but his people made a request that the files be withdrawn. When you go to Dominator's great site that is what you see. You don't see any obvious sign that they asked for an explanation be given so no one got a wrong impression.

Not dissing anyone here, simply absorbing my own impressions.

That ok with you?

I remember when Dom originally took Jake's tabs down. He said that it was Sony that demanded it, not Jake, and that he and Jake had talked about it and Jake felt bad about it. That's been quite some time ago... a few years.

seeso
03-10-2009, 03:09 PM
If you don't know the story behind Dom taking Jake's tabs down, then I understand how it might look. Perhaps Dom might change "Note: Files have been removed per Jake's request," to "Note: Files have been removed per Sony's request."

For what it's worth, the little interaction I've had with Jake was immensely positive. I stayed after his show to meet him, and not only did he make a little video with me, but he stayed until everyone was gone and signed everything that was put in front of him, all with a smile on his face.

Seems like a stand-up dude to me.

Rubbertoe
03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
I just joined and I don't even like his music that much. He's so skinny that I thought by joining, he could use some of that money to buy a chipwich or two.

Oh, Deach! Always being so deachy in every way! But you're right. He could use a chipwich with a side order of lechon and spam masubi.

tad
03-10-2009, 04:11 PM
I've never joined anyone's fan club.

And I don't really care for Jake.

Don't really like Steve Vai or Joe Satriani, either.

DeG
03-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I love me some Jake. He was super cool when I met him in Atlanta. When I was leaving the place, he was still signing autographs and talking to people. But, alas, I have not joined his fan club. Just seems like a teenie bopper thing to do...not that there's anything wrong with acting like a teenie bopper, when you are a teenager. It's just I'm old enough to be his..um..handsome, youthful looking, older brother?? :D

sukie
03-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I
And I don't really care for Jake.

:eek: Really?

buddhuu
03-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Just to set the record straight, Jake and Iz were responsible for me taking up uke. Like many uke-ignorant proles I hadn't ever given the instrument much thought until I heard 'Guitar Gently Weeps' and 'Over the Rainbow' (bet you've never heard that story before).

My listening preference is for Iz's less pyrotechnic style, but Jake was a freakin' revelation. Can't take that away from him. He's kind of equivalent to mandolin's Chris Thile.

I agree with seeso. If the request to pull the files came from (or as a result of pressure on Jake from) the record company, then it might be better to give them the credit (!) for it. That said, I kind of wish I'd never typed my reaction to that issue... Didn't mean to irk anyone.

I always wonder with fan clubs how much involvement the artist actually has. Can't help suspecting that some of them are really just money-spinning exercises with little real connection to the subject. Especially when you see multiple fan clubs for the same band/artist.

In past eras they were probably essential. Apart from music press and word of mouth, fan club newsletters were a major source of news and updates regarding one's favourite acts. These days, everyone and his dog has a website so the dissemination of info is easily achieved and everyone knows what's going on without waiting for music papers or newsletters.

Renaissance-Man
03-11-2009, 02:20 AM
Props to Jake. His music is great, and he's a ukulele ambassador.

pwest71
03-11-2009, 03:41 AM
Iz got me thinking about the uke, but while on the Big Island for vacation in 2002, I saw a 3 piece group, guitar, upright bass, and uke, and the dude on the uke was ripping it up, ala Jake. I thought this guy was from another planet playing a uke like that, then I heard Jake on the radio and stopped in Borders and picked up one of his CD's. That whole combination made me decide to buy one to try it out....

I agree with Seeso as well, maybe Dom will find this and change his wording, if not, oh well, if enough people see this post, maybe it won't matter....

By the way, joined the fan club yesterday, as I expected, it's not quite what I thought it would be, but still kind of cool none the less...I probably wouldn't do it again, but I did snag some decent photos of his uke...