You can meet jake after the show?

smgold101

Reaction score
So im trying to work it out to go to Jakes show in Mass on friday? and i've been looking around here and see a lot of pple with pictures with him and saying they met him and he is a wicked nice guy and stuff. I would love to get to meet him but was wondering if he always (understanding he is human and may not feel like it) meets some people after his shows. (kinda want my uke signed lol) also do u have to be apart of his fan club to do so? Thanks alot! Also are any of you going to that show?

-Seth

I've seen him twice now, and he's hung out and signed stuff and talked to people for at least 2 hours each time. I would think he'll do the same until the crowds get to be too much, but Saturday night in Akron was sold out with 400 people, so he'll probably do the same.....Definitely take your uke, he loves to see them in the crowd and doesn't have a problem signing them...

Plan on taking whatever you would like him to sign. Last year I had him sign my uke and a CD before the show. After the show I bought another CD. His manager(?) told me to wait and he would sign it. When I told her he had already signed stuff for me she looked at me funny that I didn't need him to sign anything else. Some little kid had one of those inexpensive bright orange plastic ukes and asked Jake to sign it. Jake was so nice and said "I've never seen an orange ukulele before. That's really neat." And then he signed it, making that kid's day!

He'll meet with people after the concert. He's awesome!

7 hours and 9 minutes 'til the show.

He loves to meet his fans after shows.

Funny thing happened when I saw him back in November: while standing in line to meet Jake, I overheard this older dude trying deperately to pick up a lady. He bragged about owning a store that sells ukuleles, explained how he earned his nickname in high school (it was Wolf or Bear or something lame like that), spouted off random specs of Jake's ukulele, and went on and on about himself and his life while the lady was clearly not all that impressed.

Then I go up and meet Jake and he's one of the most humble, down-to-earth people I've ever talked to. He treats all his fans like old friends, and would rather ask you about you than brag about his accomplishments.

After listening to an egomaniac nobody yammering for fifteen minutes in line, meeting the biggest ukulele star in the world and finding out he's a completely normal, laid-back, awesome guy was ironically amusing.

He'll make time. If you wear a UU tshirt or tell him you're from Ukulele Underground he'll talk to you about it because he's good friends with Aldrine and I.

I'm looking forward to seeing him in Deleware this Saturday (3/14). Thanks for the good info, I'll bring my uke as well for it to be signed :) Looking forward to seeing him. He's like Stevie Ray Vaughn on a uke!

Thanks for all the info! I will deff rep UU as much as i can i wish i had a shirt but being a poor college student well lets just say when summer comes around and i get my job back it will be on the top of the list haha. But im thinking of making my own make shift UU shirt. (free advertising for this awesome site and to find other UU members easily :cool: ) I hope ya dont mind rayan =/. So if anyone else is going look out for a kid wearing a semi ghetto UU shirt! Thanks again for all the info! cant wait to meet him!

-Seth

Quick side note probably should be a different thread. Why does Aldrine not do any tours with Jake?!?!? That would be INSANE.....or am i just dumb and he does lol either way ALDRINE! if you read this GO ON TOUR WITH JAKE AND BLOW PEOPLES MINDS!

Sweet. I'm planning on going to the April 10 or 11 show. I'll make sure to wear my UU shirt to represent and bring an ukulele in hope to get it signed...:shaka:

Wearing the UU shirt is a given, always rep. Some of us saw Jake last summer at the Kennedy Center in D.C. He was very kind and available. He let us take individual pictures with him and also signed our ukes. One cool dude.

I just got home from seeing the show. I waited over an hour to have him sign my uke and a photo from last year. He is fabulous. He talks to people at length. My husband took a really cute photo of GX9901 and his little daughter Nadia with Jake as Jake signed Nadia's ukulele.

It was a great show!

As Sukie mentioned, I went to Jake's show in St. Paul as well. I think there were probably over 500 people in the audience and the line after to show to meet him was really long, but he still took time to meet people and sign autographs. He's just a great guy. My daughter went up to him to and got her ukulele autographed. Here are pictures of her and Jake and the ukulele.

DSC02469.JPG

DSC02470.JPG

You know that Jake is an awesome guy if you can talk to him during the intermission.

Here's my story. I went to his concert at Hawaii Kai Town Center this summer with my best friend who had taken lessons from Jake (like when he was with Pure Heart, and before he went solo, when he was offering private lessons...lucky friend huh?) It was really packed, but really nice, b/c it was right there on the water, plus it was free. But we both had to leave during the intermission, because we both had to go to seperate grad parties.

My friend wanted to say hi to Jake before we left, so we walked up to the stage as soon as the intermission started, and my friend just called out to Jake, said hi, and asked if he remembered him. He did. So we talked for a few minutes, right up there by the stage. And the announcer on the PA was like..."Well, the intermission was actually for Jake to rest and catch a breath, but I guess he wanted to share it with his fans." And, the concert was around sunset, so the sun was going right into Jake's eyes for a lot of the preformance, and totally making him sweaty, so even more props to him. Finally, he asked us if we were going to stay for the rest of the show, or if we had grad parties to go to (what a psychic) so we told him the truth that we had to leave. And he was totally cool with it, and gave us each some crazy complicated high five.

Cool guy.

As Sukie mentioned, I went to Jake's show in St. Paul as well. I think there were probably over 500 people in the audience

My wife talked to one of the people running the show and they said the theatre would hold 1900 people, they sold about 1500 tickets but they estimated that only around 1100 actually showed up (due to the crazy snow storm / ice storm / winter weather advisories no doubt).

It was a great performance, Jake really seems to represent all that is great about the uke.

img_94451.jpg

Three weeks ago when we found out Jake Shimabukuro was going to perform at Grand Opera House in Wilmington, Deleware we had to go! We were three rows away from the stage with a good view!

Seeing Jake perform live was sheer amazing. He's like Jimi Hendrix is to rock and Stevie Ray Vaughan is to blues. His fingers faster than warp 9, crisp sound like freshly poured cereal, and perfected techniques, all with a cat's purr...it was worth the 1.5 hour drive in the freezing rain. But what really made the filet mignon was his on-stage demeanor. Jake was "buddha" humble, connected with the audience on a one on one level, but was explosively engergetic and charismatic while on his uke. The whole presentation was extremely colorful and really brought out the aloha in everyone.

Needless to say Chungwon and I were grateful to experience such delightful evening. He definitely broke the stereotype of an ukulele and burned down the motherfucking house!! (burn baby burn!). I look forward to his next show on 06.14.2009 at the Rams Head On Stage in Annapolis, Maryland. If there is any in the Maryland/DC area I would love to meet up pre or post show.

Much mahalos Jake and Hanho! You made me want to have a bento now!

Var
http://meantofu.com/blog/?p=351

Last edited:
Oh, absolutely you can. When Jake came to Guam, my friend and I went to see his concert. Seeing him in action is better than any video on youtube. He's amazing!

He stuck around for probably around 2 hours signing autographs and taking pictures. He's incredibly humble and an all around nice guy! Check out my sig!

FYI he likes to give hugs! so be prepared lol

Thanks for all the info! I will deff rep UU as much as i can i wish i had a shirt but being a poor college student well lets just say when summer comes around and i get my job back it will be on the top of the list haha. But im thinking of making my own make shift UU shirt. (free advertising for this awesome site and to find other UU members easily :cool: ) I hope ya dont mind rayan =/. So if anyone else is going look out for a kid wearing a semi ghetto UU shirt! Thanks again for all the info! cant wait to meet him!

-Seth

Quick side note probably should be a different thread. Why does Aldrine not do any tours with Jake?!?!? That would be INSANE.....or am i just dumb and he does lol either way ALDRINE! if you read this GO ON TOUR WITH JAKE AND BLOW PEOPLES MINDS!

I would love to tour with that guy if given the chance. I really enjoy the small jam sessions that we have every so often. Those are super fun (ask experimentjon, kaneohe, and dino)

Definitely meet jake after the show. He's one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. I feel really blessed having such an amazing person as my musical mentor.

I would love to tour with that guy if given the chance. I really enjoy the small jam sessions that we have every so often. Those are super fun (ask experimentjon, kaneohe, and dino)

Definitely meet jake after the show. He's one of the nicest people I've ever met in my life. I feel really blessed having such an amazing person as my musical mentor.

that was an awesome night. "Is There a Place" with Aldrine, Danyo and Jake was like a music-gasm

Top Bottom