Best glue for gluing down bridge

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
I'm about to glue my bridge, but before I do I'd like to ask you kind folk which glue you normally use - Titebond, epoxy, hot hide glue or CA? My bridge and sound board are both Mahogany and I have scraped the surface down to bare wood. In the past I have used Titebond and epoxy, but I'm curious to know if there's one type that's better than another. I know this has probably come up before, but I hope you don't mind me bringing the subject up again.

Bob

Apart from CA, any of those you mentioned work.
Titebond or HHG are best.- epoxy is harder to repair/remove but with heat it comes off

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, I figured CA wouldn't be a good choice, although I seem to remember reading about someone who did use it. I only scraped the lacqueur of the area to be glued, since both Titebond and HHG need a wood to wood joint, while I imagine, if you were to use CA, possibly this wouldn't be necessary. I think I'll go with Titebond, as I'm still experimenting with HHG.

Bob

Rick Turner told me and I'm sure I've seen him mention it elsewhere that he uses CA to glue bridges on his polyester finishes.

But on more conventional finishes, scrape to bare wood and use Titebond original or similar, or HHG.

In time, bridges are one of those items on an instrument that is most likely to need repair or replacement. For this reason, make it easy on the repair man and use a glue that is somewhat easy to remove. In my case that's Titebond red cap. I'd never use ca for any reason.

Top Bottom