Complainers

Well, heard it all now. Any idea how this ended up?

Here in Hobart there was an outcry last year at Salamanca Market about a similar issues involving amplification of buskers. It's an absolute joke and we all signed a petition to council. (It was ultimately overturned and sanity prevailed). It's not like we have mobile 7piece drum kits or are playing death metal.

Those awesome folks on Waikiki - as at our market - are enhancing the vibe of the town, bringing love and aloha and passing on the beautiful culture of the islands. And if you told any of the tourists about them being "turned down" they'd think you were joking.

They say that without an amp they can hardly hear themselves? Really?

Might then hearing aids be the answer? Or just getting away from all that traffic?

I have to agree with getting rid of the amps, but not the ukes and voices.

These are the types of situations that truly blow my mind...That issue came up because someone at some point had to pass this group of retirees playing their ukuleles and dancing, having a good time on a sunny beach, and said to themselves, "That makes me angry! I'd better complain until someone makes them stop enjoying themselves!" Hippie Dribble hit it right on the head, it's not as though they were blasting screamo at the passerbys.

I hope they get it resolved, and I hope I'm never as miserable as the people who made the complaints in the first place.

One mans coffee, is another mans tea. You have to follow the local ordinances, or find a way to get them changed. Granted this is a nice respectful group who gather, but if a rapper or hard rocking group showed up, maybe then it's them who are unhappy. So either get the permit to play plugged in, or unplug.

I can see where playing right next to a busy street, where the traffic noise can be quite loud, would make it harder to hear themselves, but then just move to a more appropriate area to play, so you can. After all, are they there for themselves or to play for the public?

It does suck as it is, that when you just want to relax at the beach, hear the sound of the surf rolling in and tune out your troubles, that you have to listen to other people's radio's blasting all around you.

I won't judge the person(s) who complained, you have to follow the rules.

One mans coffee, is another mans tea. You have to follow the local ordinances, or find a way to get them changed. Granted this is a nice respectful group who gather, but if a rapper or hard rocking group showed up, maybe then it's them who are unhappy. So either get the permit to play plugged in, or unplug.

I can see where playing right next to a busy street, where the traffic noise can be quite loud, would make it harder to hear themselves, but then just move to a more appropriate area to play, so you can. After all, are they there for themselves or to play for the public?

It does suck as it is, that when you just want to relax at the beach, hear the sound of the surf rolling in and tune out your troubles, that you have to listen to other people's radio's blasting all around you.

I won't judge the person(s) who complained, you have to follow the rules.

Spot on. I actually don't think the style of music played has anything to do with it. You're never going to please everyone with that and for every person moaning about a hard rock band on a high street you'll find just as many people thinking it's awesome, surely?

These are the types of situations that truly blow my mind...That issue came up because someone at some point had to pass this group of retirees playing their ukuleles and dancing, having a good time on a sunny beach, and said to themselves, "That makes me angry! I'd better complain until someone makes them stop enjoying themselves!" Hippie Dribble hit it right on the head, it's not as though they were blasting screamo at the passerbys.

I hope they get it resolved, and I hope I'm never as miserable as the people who made the complaints in the first place.

^^ agree ^^^^^^

I think that a complaint about complainers provides a sense of general continuity.

Here's the thing though... it's the law.
The cop's had warned them about amplification, and then they continued and got the boot.

Although.. it's unfortunate, I don't think the police are to blame.

Say there's an evangelist with a bullhorn, or someone playing music that might be offensive on a boombox. The police go to them, and say to turn it off. Those people can then sue the city because the law lets the uke players use amplification, but not them.

You may say it's not the same.. but that's the thing. The law must treat everyone the same. When the law is applied differently to different people, that is discrimination.

Actually, I'll bet that someone was playing loud music on a boom box, or someone was on a bullhorn, or something like that, and they were told to stop. So then they said, 'what about the old farts playing ukulele, why don't they have to stop." And so the old farts playing the ukulele got a visit as well. I doubt that anyone passing by complained to the police about it. If I can't do it, no one can. That is usually what these things are about.

If the video is truly representative, it's tough to understand why the folk don't find another site away from the traffic noise and pedestrian conjestion. They may have started playing there years ago, but the place apparently has evolved into a busy and noisy area. Sometimes "pushing a rope" is just not logical, especially when there are surely several sites which would be glad to have them and their loyal following, places more conducive to a musical experience than next to a busy street full of traffic.

Heres my prespective since i live in waikiki amd work there as well. I believe they were targeted by prankster or just straight up haters. Cops have nothing to with any of this. They just to enforce the complaint. If any knows waikiki, its noisy place. Its the manhantan of newyork, or vegas strip. No amplification must be something new. If you been to waikiki your see dozens of.performers using amps, dancers, christian church groups 20 kids littery on the side walk singing with mic and amp. Chritians with there bull horn preaching that god loves you, oh don't forget the Jamaican drummer, dosnt needa amp. It's loud. Even famous uke players performed on the streets of waikiki, like that little kid aiden, to taimane and more famous performers on amps. You should see waikiki shell, you can hear them 200 yards away with there 100000 watt amp. Or even evey open hotel live music bands. Then comes these elder group that have been playing for 20 years under a pavilion with good amount of seats for them near the beach, also under the pavilions are homeless sleeping and peeing, drug dealers , druggys smoking marijane and ice but who does the cop go after. The eldely ukulele players, who is just showing a true hawaiian tradition, its part of hawaii culture. But laws do change , and no amps must be something just recent.

So sad that the Cheerios always seem to get pissed on. No matter what. But, in that case, you buy a new box of Cheerios and try eating them elsewhere. Were they all amplified, or just one or two leaders to keep the group together?

I would like to register a formal complaint to the powers that be at UU about the complainers complaining about this complaining thread about complainers. It may have affected my self esteem, or general sense of wellbeing, or something, durnit. :rulez:

I would like to register a formal complaint to the powers that be at UU about the complainers complaining about this complaining thread about complainers. It may have affected my self esteem, or general sense of wellbeing, or something, durnit. :rulez:

Your complaint is registered. Shall pass it on to those in the Complaints Dept. :p

Top Bottom