Lots of uke tests popping up...why no Chicago uke fest?

hammer40

Reaction score
Lots of uke fests popping up...why no Chicago uke fest?

I have been noticing more and more uke festivals popping up here on the forum. We, in the Chicago area, don't have one yet. I'm a little surprised considering the size of the city and the great music scene here. I have no idea how, or what it takes to start one. Has anyone ever tried getting something started for this area?

Last edited:
I've was hoping for something not too far away to go to this summer but doesn't look like there is going to be anything. Its getting to be boating season so I'm swamped and working 13-15 hour days that make traveling to any uke meet almost impossible.

The Chicagoland uke community is apathetic.

I can say that: I'm one of them.

Note: many are not apathetic, and have run gatherings in the past--Seeso, Lisaxy, Hank the Tank, etc. come to mind as particularly non-apathetic. They are the few lively ones in a zoo otherwise full of sloths, me included. ;)

I see you own a Boat Paddle uke, hammer. I think that festival in MO is not offered this year, either. Sadly, there is a relative dearth of ukulele festivals in the Midwest--save for Mike's overwhelmingly popular Woodstock of Ukulele in Indiana, of course, for which we are fortunate to live so close-by when others must fly in from Europe and Asia.

Do you know Goerge K., who lives up your way, like, a couple towns away? (<A triple rhyme at 6AM; I'm proud of myself!)

I have his CD, which features his hit single, at least it was a hit in the IL lakes region Polynesian restaurants a few years back, enjoyed by Pu-Pu platter-munching, Zombie-drinking flatlanders, the plumeria tabletop candles and tiki libation apparently immunizing them from the tune's mind-numbingly repetitive lyric: "We're Having a Luau", aka "It's Luau Time", aka "That song where he says 'Luau' a million times".

And, what do you know, some gracious UU'er has taken the time to locate the video and link it here: grab a breakfast Mai Tai because here he is with the lovely Bosko and Honey playing it alongside a muddy river that must be familiar to you, hammer.

Here's his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/wgk001 You might contact him with a UTube PM; if there's anything in your area, he'd know about it. I've been in contact with him in the past, a super kind fellow, articulate and fun and helpful. (I pray that he's in good health and not the one Mike mentions as having issues recently).

Last edited:
Apathy? In Chicago!!! That Can't be.
(not that I care)

Every week in Chicago is a ukefest. I know of ukulele groups that meet on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Gotta leave Friday & Saturday nights open for gigs, and Sunday mornings for those who play in church.

Sure, an all-weekend festival might be fun, but who has the time?

Every week in Chicago is a ukefest. I know of ukulele groups that meet on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday nights and Saturday mornings. Gotta leave Friday & Saturday nights open for gigs, and Sunday mornings for those who play in church.

Sure, an all-weekend festival might be fun, but who has the time?

Would you mind posting some links/groups for us to check out?

I would definitely be interested and open to doing some uke meet ups with locals and basically jam and play.

Thank you! Looks like a fantastic group! I will definitely make an effort to come out a Thursday night for sure. I'll message you through the website or the meetup group.

signed up to the Free Range Ukulele Society of Oak Park, and plan on going to tomorrow's meeting! First one ever, excited!

Top Bottom