Uk-Al-lele... Luthier in the making... My story part three...

UkAlele

Reaction score
Okay, so let's get straight down to the craft of writing... it's such a gift to be able to craft pieces of writing which reflect our ideas, views and opinions and to realise that our writing can be affected by the surroundings we occupy.

I recently went back to work having been ill with depression and had explained in the first two articles how the uke was placed at the centre of my recovery.

Well since then, I've been really busy planning how to set up my ever expanding uke work shop. So where am I at?

The workshop consists of an insulated shed keeping all the luthiers best friends cosy and warm... and that includes me! To date I've got a seven foot work bench, four foot assembly bench, pillar drill, band saw, coping saw, disc and belt sander, router etc and not to mention one radio and the teapot... There must be room for the biscuits...

I'm on uke build number 4 and can't wait to advance the idea. The idea came to me whilst walking along the wild west Wales Pembrokeshire Coast. I started to collect driftwood which had been pounded and smoothed by the monstrous ocean waves that continuously batter this coast.

Whilst looking at the beautiful patterns in the wood I suddenly started to think about how wow it would be if you could make your very own micro uke which could be played, put in a pocket, would sound sweet and contain a selection of woods including the driftwood.

Et voila the itsybitsyuke idea had gained an identity. Now how to transpose the idea into a product... Hmm...

I went back to live in West Wales for a full week of coastal living. I wanted to be inspired again by the wild surroundings a the raw essence of mother nature. I took a baritone uke, iuke, kala pocket and played all in the conservatory whilst overlooking the dancing white horses riding the wild waves that travelled inland till meeting the cold grey slate based cliff bases and golden sand
sand beaches.

I looked at the shapes around me and used these to help design the first itsybitsyuke. I have shaped the draft neck, made heart inlays from driftwood and am now about to bend the sides.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached photos of the itsybitsyuke project so far and can't wait to get it finished and take it on itsybitsyuke travels around the world... Watch this space and thankyou if you read this and responded to it... Regards Uk-Al-lele...

I can't attach any more photos... Frustrating!

Does anyone know how to delete photos from Thread?

I will then add itsybitsyuke photo progress so far.

Thanks for help...

Attachments

• DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC_0209.jpg
    DSC_0209.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0192.jpg
    DSC_0192.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I can't attach any more photos... Frustrating!

Does anyone know how to delete photos from Thread?

I will then add itsybitsyuke photo progress so far.

Thanks for help...

Most folks here on UU will just make a second or third post to the same thread, and insert the maximum of 5 photos into each new post.

I've seen this being done countless times here, and in 2 yrs on UU, I've yet to see anyone complain about it, so my guess is that this is the 'accepted' method for adding more than 5 pix to your thread without having to link to an album that you've setup on an external site, like imgur.com, for example...

Sounds like a great idea! I've often thought about using driftwood for instruments, but could never find any pieces big enough.
Is that Freshwater west? I was living in Haverfordwest until 6 months ago - it's a gorgeous place. Certainly very inspiring!

Sounds like a great idea! I've often thought about using driftwood for instruments, but could never find any pieces big enough.
Is that Freshwater west? I was living in Haverfordwest until 6 months ago - it's a gorgeous place. Certainly very inspiring!

Yes very inspiring I agree. The panoramic is Cardigan Bay and Newport Parrog. Great place for letting the wind blow through your hair... And great ocean views. The trip also inspired the current other project being undertaken of turning a violin into a micro violele. Any one know where you can get free unwanted violin bodies from?

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I have only got about sixty Kbytes of allowance left on my account. I need to delete some of the old photos any ideas or advice welcomed... I should be bending the itsybitsyuke sides shortly. Tomorrow I'm building and painting my seaside coloured shed workshop and when things get more tidy I can progress more with the itsybitsyuke and micro violele projects. Should be fun...

Top Bottom