My ukulele G string is stuck being an octave too low!! it sounds off

Dylanm

Reaction score
My electric acoustic kala ka-ce 's G string is tuned correctly to a G, but It is definitely an octave too low.. WHen i Try to tune it higher....IT gets very tight, and im afraid ill break it!!!

I dont know what to do!!!

Did you get the uke with a low-G string? If it's a wound string, it's a low-G. If it's fatter than the C string, it's a low-G.

A high-G string is basically (if not exactly) the same size as the A string. So, if the G string does not match up size-wise to the A string, then you don't have a high-G string.

Last edited:
Do you have appropriate strings? Be certain about this, and your problem will be solved.

!!

Did you get the uke with a low-G string? If it's a wound string, it's a low-G. If it's fatter than the C string, it's a low-G.

A high-G string is basically (if not exactly) the same size as the A string. So, if the G string does not match up size-wise to the A string, then you don't have a high-G string.

Yes it is wound string (low g)!!!!! So is it possible i can change my strings to a gauge where i could tune to standard??

Well, you could leave it on as low-G and play it tuned as low-G. Many folk prefer low-G and the chord fingering us the same. The alternative is just putting on a new set of GCEA high-G strings - or just the high-G string from a set of the same type.

Sounds like you just installed a new set of strings and it happened to be a low-G set. So, if you really want high-G, you are in to purchase another set of strings. However, if you are in no hurry, stick with the low-G fir a while. It's the same chording and you may enjoy the sound.

Top Bottom