Martin OXK question

Ukuleledad

Reaction score
Can anyone here tell me exactly what the Martin OXK is made from? I know it is a HPL but is the laminate made from wood fibres, plastic, waste paper or what? Thanks

It's pretty much just like the formica laminate countertops...

From the Martin website's FAQ:

What is HPL?
HPL stands for high pressure laminate. It is a composite material made from paper and resin that is pressed at very high pressure. The surface will have a wood pattern (Mahogany, rosewood, Koa, etc) and a protective clear coating. It is not a wood veneer.

A year or so back I thought I might upgrade my daily player a KA-SEM to a Martin OXK I mean after all a $300-$400 instrument has to sound better than my $85 Kala right?

I started to watch videos and came across a video from a member here where the OXK is played against other Martin ukuleles. The OXK had the dull dead laminate sound when compared to other Martins just as my SEM sounds a bit dull compared to my KoAloha or my Bruce Wei tenor. Funny thing is unless I'm playing them back to back the laminate sounds really good.

Honestly the exotic mahg laminate on the SEM CEM and TEM is very pretty to look at. It shimmers in the light like a much more expensive ukulele and I honestly believe the OXK has nothing on it.

The Martin 3k Cherry now that is quite another story.

Ending thoughts if you want the Martin you will like the Martin and it will sound great unless compared to other solid wood ukuleles. I think the Kala exotic laminate series is a much better value at a 1/3 or 1/4 the price.

Oh hehe look its you... http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102131-New-Uke-Day!-Kala-KA-SEME I'll stop looking for the picture of my SEM then as you know how damn sexy that wood looks.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the OXK sound.

There is something about that Martin build that can make the ukulele sound delicate, if needed, and also sound robust. It does not sound like a dull, dead laminate at all to my ears, even when played back to back with the Opio (which others on the forum hold in pretty high regard.)

I think it is because the OXK comes close to the Opio in the quality of the construction.

To me, it has versatility - sounds good strummed and sounds good fingerpicked. In fact, I like to fingerpick on it a bit more than the Opio because it has more string tension.

Not sure where you are pricing the OXK at $300-400, but I got mine on Black Friday for $240.

Last edited:
The OXK seems to be consistently priced at $279 everywhere on the planet.

Has anyone ever heard about any problems with the OXK's HPL... such as warping, or dishing-out?

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard about any problems with the OXK's HPL... such as warping, or dishing-out?

There are some posts here in UU and on the Martin unofficial forum about that, but it seems to have been the early production models.

My issue with the OXK have been with the Stratabond neck becoming rough on my thumb over time, almost like the strips are separating or swelling. Although from what I have read, Rutland Plywood which makes the necks says that they are resistant to moisture.

There is a difference in the level of smoothness near the nut where it is rough - and where my thumb usually rests - and elsewhere on the neck. Some guitar forums have mentioned this roughness on their guitars with the Stratabond necks and they recommend sanding and applying boiled linseed oil like one would with a gun stock. I am more inclined to just sand it as I don't want it to be sticky.

Last edited:
I really love my OXK, the sound is peculiar and it's the best "all road uke" to me and I haven't any troubles with it! paper sand OOOO will be good to the neck because there is no finish

I really love my OXK, the sound is peculiar and it's the best "all road uke" to me and I haven't any troubles with it! paper sand OOOO will be good to the neck because there is no finish
I agree! I am getting ready to take it on a road trip today. It is already packed in my suitcase.

The OXK seems to be consistently priced at $279 everywhere on the planet.

The only bad thing I've heard about HPL is that some of the early HPL guitars had glue separation issues. No such issues on my OXK in almost two years.

Thanks for the feedback!
I asked the question because I was very interested in buying one and taking it on a trip to Dartmoor (very damp) and then in the Summer a driving tour around Spain & France. I wanted a Uke that would take the weather conditions in it's stride BUT also was a decent player.
So I have bought the OXK & I'm very pleased.
I played it side by side with my S1 & was pleasantly surprised at the sound it makes. I can only describe it as mellow, and not at all unpleasant.
I am now on Dartmoor, OXK by my side, wet outside, log fire inside, feeling very pleased with myself!

I'm glad that you started this thread. It drew out some great info in the replies. I hope that you'll update with your impressions as time goes by.

Lingering questions about the OXK:

- Has anyone gotten a lemon (QC issues)?
- Are they usually set-up well from the factory?
- Do they seem to sound best with Martin strings?
- Why are the G and A strings reverse-wound on the tuning pegs in the official photos?

I'm glad that you started this thread. It drew out some great info in the replies. I hope that you'll update with your impressions as time goes by.

Lingering questions about the OXK:

- Do they seem to sound best with Martin strings?
- Why are the G and A strings reverse-wound on the tuning pegs in the official photos?

Hi Memphis Weirdo, some attempts to answer your questions:

- I get the impression that Martin's QC is generally pretty top notch, although I suppose there could be some lemons out there...
- I bought from a shop that does set-ups and they said they rarely have to touch the Martins.
- They sound great with Martin strings but I currently have Fremont Blackline mediums on mine and I'm really liking them. I've also tried Aquilas and D'Addarios on it, neither of which I liked.
- No idea! Martin just seem to do that, but I found it irritating and turned mine round at the first opportunity.

On the whole I think the OXK is a brilliant uke, a real toughy that plays well and sounds good :)

I got my OXK via a banjo swap in a quirky general store that features second hand instruments. It had never been played and was in great condition, except for the fret ends that seemed to be a little rough on the sides of the neck. It was thirsty; humidification has taken care of that. It plays well, but I find my Koaloha Opio soprano to be more of my go-to instrument.

I wonder why Martin has not made an OXK in tenor? I would think they have the HPL process down and we all want a durable travel ukulele. I bought a tenor Fluke whick is ok but would think a HPL tenor from Martin would be well received and likely sound pretty good. I'm waiting for Blackbird to make an EKoa tenor which they seem to not want to do at this time but would love to try an OXK tenor!

- I get the impression that Martin's QC is generally pretty top notch, although I suppose there could be some lemons out there...
- I bought from a shop that does set-ups and they said they rarely have to touch the Martins.

Martin has extremely strict QC at both the US (Nazareth) shop and in Mexico. They do not sell blemished units or factory seconds. From what I've been told, if an instrument doesn't pass inspection at the factory, they destroy it on a bandsaw.

Martin has extremely strict QC at both the US (Nazareth) shop and in Mexico. They do not sell blemished units or factory seconds. From what I've been told, if an instrument doesn't pass inspection at the factory, they destroy it on a bandsaw.

Here's proof $_57martin.jpg

I've had my hands on several Martin ukes from the Mexico factory and the build quality was top notch. I haven't played the OXK specifically though. I have owned an HPL guitar from Mexico and once again, top notch build quality.
One thing to note is that these HPL instruments still use solid wood braces, and those are effected by humidity. I even wrote Martin about it once and they noted care should still be taken with these instruments due to that fact. I wonder why they don't make the braces out of HPL too....Then you'd have an even more durable instrument.
The one Martin I played with a Stratabond neck was a little rough in spots. I put some very fine grit sandpaper over it. Those necks, in general, should be stronger than a standard wooden neck.

Regarding the Stratabond neck, it is heavy. I just played one of the Martin travel guitars with an HPL neck at a local Guitar Center and it felt like a tree. It was also very top-heavy. I played several guitars with issues (intonation, frets were poorly dressed, finish blemishes on "new" instruments that were not marked as seconds). I did find a nice Breedlove and my wife bought it for me as a gift. :)

Top Bottom