Warren Buffet's Coke Ad

Gillian

Reaction score
The sound hole was cut out in the shape of a coke bottle.......way cool. The terrible sound because it was so far out of tune.........not cool. Just another negative image of what ukes sound like to the general public, crap

Why on earth would he do such a thing? Just horrible. If it were in tune, I would love it. This is awful.

well at least I know I can tune my uke better than a bazillionaire!

He only had the thing for a month, or less. Perhaps the strings hadn't settled in yet.

He only had the thing for a month, or less. Perhaps the strings hadn't settled in yet.
While that may be true, he shoulda tuned it.

Except for the ukulele being so out of tune, I thought it was cute.

I'm sorry fellow ukers, I thought it was fun, out of tune and all. That guy has been playing the uke since he was in college. I heard him say one time that he took up playing the uke to impress the girls. He plays the uke at the annual Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meetings for all the shareholders. I don't know how good he really is, but at least he doesn't hide in the house because he is afraid of someone criticizing his playing. That was an inspiration to me. Warren rocks.

Last edited:
The sound hole was cut out in the shape of a coke bottle.......way cool. The terrible sound because it was so far out of tune.........not cool. Just another negative image of what ukes sound like to the general public, crap

Very observing. I didn't notice the sound hole until you pointed it out.
I agree with you on the image.
Friends still think I am crazy to spend more than $50 on a ukulele. Someone asked me why can't you buy one at ABC when you were there.

From here: "Buffett’s folksy charm and trademark sense of humor are on display in the 47-second video..." I guess "folksy charm" is another way of saying "out of tune."

If so, then I always sing and play in a VERY folsky charm, jejeje:)

Before reading the article, I thought it was a cheap uke from Hilo Hattie's!

I did too. I'm not trying to be critical of Mr Buffett directly, but what annoys me about this is that if this is any example, the guy can barely play, but he often gets called out as a Famous! Ukulele! Player! while dozens of players who have more musicality in just the tip of their pinky finger toil away in obscurity for most of their lives.

I'll admit that this is the only evidence I've ever seen of him playing - for all I know he's a virtuoso. But I've got my doubts :)

Janeray -- I've seen a few clips of him playing. No, he's no Aldrine. BUT he is famous. And he does play the ukulele. :). And he doesn't let his skills stop him from playing in public. So, I say, good for him. He has more guts than I have.

Aloha Gilly,
Yes if he enjoys the uke, no matter what his level of playing is, that is foremost...who know he could have just been put on a spot with a cheap new uke in front of the camera...
you know how it is...

Being a "famous ukulele player", and being "famous and an ukulele player" are two very different things. But if he has fun, even if he is a hack strummer like most of us, more power to him.

Top Bottom