Blackbird Clara or Tenor?

Kimosabe

Reaction score
For someone who's comfortable with tenor and concert sizes, what's the difference in tone and volume between the Clara and the tenor? Is it the standard difference between a tenor and concert?

I have read that the Clara already has the volume of a tenor.

I would love to get a Blackbird someday - either one would be amazing I'm sure. I would get the Clara Concert because I like the way it looks compared to the black tenor.

They are completely different animals. I had a Clara (loved it and will get another some day), have played several tenors and helped a buddy buy a used tenor. The Clara sounds closer to a wood instrument in tone. The tenor, in my opinion, has unbelievable clarity and sustain but does not move me like the Clara does. Again, I think it's the tone. I think the tenor sounds better plugged in, which is not something I would do personally (I generally only play for myself).

I would say the Clara is actually louder than the tenor.

And what would you think if you were only allowed to play it in the dark? The Clara does have an appealing look but then so does the tenor. But, Igor, perhaps you are right.

Last edited:
They are completely different animals. I had a Clara (loved it and will get another some day), have played several tenors and helped a buddy buy a used tenor. The Clara sounds closer to a wood instrument in tone. The tenor, in my opinion, has unbelievable clarity and sustain but does not move me like the Clara does. Again, I think it's the tone. I think the tenor sounds better plugged in, which is not something I would do personally (I generally only play for myself).

I would say the Clara is actually louder than the tenor.

Very interesting and to the point. I have a great Kanilea K-1 for acoustic and a Pono TE-C for electric. I could really use a nice concert for high g picking.

Anyone else out there have experience with the Clara and the Blackbird tenor?

I played both the Clara concert and BTU tenor so here's my two cents.

I opted for the tenor because for only $35.00 more (according to the Blackbird website), you get 14 frets to the body rather than 12, a cutaway, plus it's carbon fibre and IMO, is a cool-looking uke.

I think the Clara sounded more mellow, the BTU had more clear note definition. The Clara sounded very much like my other very nice wood ukes, but I could hear a different harmonic going on inside the tenor. I don't know if it is due to the incredibly thin soundboard or the carbon fibre itself, probably both.

So, the Clara is a lovely instrument, but I was looking for something that sounded really different from what I already have so I chose the BTU.

Everything Eddie said, plus the Blackbird tenor is indestructible, whereas the Clara is only hardy.

One more thing: Compare the sound sample of the Clara vs Hive Hornet on HMS. They both have that deep, warm tone.

"Everything Eddie said, plus the Blackbird tenor is indestructible, whereas the Clara is only hardy."

Seems like I'm opting for the Blackbird Tenor because indestructible is very appealing for a traveller, as is clarity for a finger picker using a high g for picking, and considering I have enjoyed and loved my low g Kanilea tenor now for five years and don't want to give it up.

I'm sure the Clara is great but I can handle a tenor fretboard. A concert is a little easier for the pinkie stretches but a little cramped for some chords, for me that is.

Thanks. Any other thoughts?

If you need access to the higher frets, then the tenor is definitely the way to go. Its unique neck-body joint (not really a joint, cos it's one piece) gives you access all the way up to the last and very comfortably too.

Based on my limited exposure at the Tampa Bay Getaway in November, regarding overall tone only, nearly everyone preferred the Clara to the Blackbird, including me, despite the tenor's deeper tone. Deeper better for some, not for others. It is possible different strings may change that.

Last edited:
It is all a personal choice. I bought a Clara for looks and tone. My significant other bought a tenor. She prefers the tenor scale. I restrung hers with Living Waters and the tone is very close to the Clara. I still like the looks of the e-koa, but would probably buy a tenor after hearing and playing hers.

Go for the blackbird tenor, much deeper tone..
Why does everyone refer the Clara e koa as a blackbird, I would call the tenor a blackbird to be correct?

Stan they are both blackbirds one is the Clara the other is now called BTU

MacNichol Guitars is the shop where I bought my Clara. They specialize in carbon fiber guitars and ukes and they said the Clara was definitely the loudest Blackbird uke (louder than the tenor) and some were voting for it being louder than any guitar Blackbird makes. I think that's right based on my 1 minute playing the BTU, and to my ear the Clara also has a lot more going on tone wise. My experience was playing a tenor for about a minute and I thought it sounded pretty good - a decent value if you had a spare $1,000. The Clara on the other hand - I played it and promptly sold about half of my ukes to buy it. But, I've also figured out that I'm a concert uke person and I like a loud uke.

I'm still trying different makes of string but thus far I find my new tenor Blackbird a quiet 'uke.
I've got mine with a low g.

For someone who's comfortable with tenor and concert sizes, what's the difference in tone and volume between the Clara and the tenor? Is it the standard difference between a tenor and concert?

I have read that the Clara already has the volume of a tenor.

hey don't you live on Oahu...not sure if they stock the blackbirds in the shops in Waikiki...but HMS has 3 Blackbirds and 3 Claras at the store.....

What I would like is a travel uke that you don't have to worry about, has the sound like the Blackbirds or the flukes and fleas, but with a traditional shape. In a tenor!

I'm still trying different makes of string but thus far I find my new tenor Blackbird a quiet 'uke.
I've got mine with a low g.

Try a set of Living Waters, they made both the BTU and Clara sing. Even the Blackbird folks were impressed this weekend in Reno.

Top Bottom