Two things I could use a hand with.

Fodslad

Reaction score
How do you figure out strum patterns for certain songs. There are so many out there with only 2 or 3 chords but just strumming up and down doesn't seem to sound so hot. Do any of the tab sites show strum pattern as well.

Also I hold the bottom of the UKe when I pick with my thumb, is this a bad habit to get into. (I could see where it would hamper finger picking in the future)

Thx in advance.

figuring out the strum for a song is one of the topics most asked on this forum (probably just behind uke-buying advice and string advice). if you want your rendition to sound just like the original, i would suggest listening to a song until your ears bleed and pick up the strum that is used by the artist. other members have suggested tapping out a percussion for the song and play that as the strumming pattern. or if you youtube 'ukulele strums', you should should find some nice standards that fit many songs. or you could watch the lessons provided my aldrine. he uses a somewhat standard group of strums (or slight variations of each strum) for the numerous songs he has taught.

as for gripping the bottom of the uke while picking, yes, i think that is a bad habit. you'll want to free-up your other fingers for more advanced picking later. what i've seen a lot of player do is use a finger (pinky if they pick with 3 fingers + thumb, or pinky and/or ring finger if they pick with 2 fingers + thumb) as an anchor just below the strings. try it out and see how that feels.

Thx

Being a gamer for years and years (well lets just say I played pong) it is so refreshing to join a community and forum such as this, you would know what I mean if you had ever participated in a Warcraft forum. I mean I don't know if I have even seen any flames yet.

Thx,
Fod

Guess my next topic will the worst bad habits of uke players.

you would know what I mean if you had ever participated in a Warcraft forum. I mean I don't know if I have even seen any flames yet.

Yeah, we're all pretty chill around here.

Unless you play Alliance, of course. Allys suck!

(Kidding... :p)

JJ

I'm new to the uke, but used to play guitar.

So far, for strumming, I've learned four or five basic types and use those that sound "right" -- and that may be a few in each song.

For the picking question -- I caught myself doing the same thing (holding the bottom) and imo opinion it will hamper your development. Back when I first played guitar, I also had the bad habit of anchoring my hand with my pinky, but it was relatively easy to break and I started the uke "clean." It just takes a little while for your fingers to learn where the strings are. Not using the pinky makes it easier to move, and I suspect the finger on the soundboard has an effect on the volume and tone.

Just my 2 cents.

Not only bottom but neck to

I find that sometimes I am deadening the A string with my chubby fingers when hanging on to the neck so guess I am having troubles and both ends heheh.

Top Bottom