PDA

View Full Version : List of future purchase

SoloRule
04-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Do you have a list of future purchase?
Here is mine. Not ambitious but very realistic .
This is what I will buy in this order.

1) Blackbird Tenor (order on line)
2) KoAloha Tenor (on my next Hawaii trip)
3) Tiny Tenor (on my Asia trip)

wayfarer75
04-30-2015, 06:13 AM
I only have one: a tenor. Likely a LoPrinzi. But I will have to try it in person. If not a tenor, another concert--and I don't know what brand it would be. I have two solid koa ukes, and I would like mahogany next. Then I think I would do a one in, one out rule, but I think I'd be done. I'm not a big buyer myself.

SoloRule
04-30-2015, 06:14 AM
I only have one: a tenor. Likely a LoPrinzi. But I will have to try it in person. If not a tenor, another concert--and I don't know what brand it would be. I have two solid koa ukes, and I would like mahogany next. Then I think I would do a one in, one out rule, but I think I'd be done. I'm not a big buyer myself.

At least you know what type of wood and style you want. That's very very good already.

johnson430
04-30-2015, 06:33 AM
Just one: A Pono MGB.
Ummm, for my wife...yes, yes, for my wife to play.
=)

spookelele
04-30-2015, 06:34 AM
I'd like to own a moore bettah tenor before I die. I've actually started a savings account for this. Maybe in a few years....

mama207
04-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Curious about a FLEA Tenor. Hubby has a Flea Concert. I want to go to the store and test then out to see if it sounds much different.

janeray1940
04-30-2015, 09:58 AM
I never actually plan what I'm going to get next ... I let the ukes find me when the time is right! I learned long ago that I'm a try-before-you-buy kind of girl, so that puts a bit of a limitation on things.

SoloRule
04-30-2015, 01:26 PM
I never actually plan what I'm going to get next ... I let the ukes find me when the time is right! I learned long ago that I'm a try-before-you-buy kind of girl, so that puts a bit of a limitation on things.

Try before you buy?That's my dream.
Living in a country with limited selection. We will never get to buy anything. Ha ha. I guess that's a good thing so we don't go crazy

janeray1940
04-30-2015, 01:33 PM
Try before you buy?That's my dream.
Living in a country with limited selection. We will never get to buy anything. Ha ha. I guess that's a good thing so we don't go crazy

Even in a city like mine (Los Angeles) where you can get pretty much anything you want, any time you want it, good ukes are hard to come by. For this, I am actually grateful - because otherwise I could see myself getting into some trouble!

ohmless
04-30-2015, 01:43 PM
my next three purchases:

Vox AC4 amp within the next three months
Epiphone Les Paul uke maybe this summer(optional since I already own a Risa electric)
Bluebird microphone for xmas I hope!

ohmless
04-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Do you have a list of future purchase?
Here is mine. Not ambitious but very realistic .
This is what I will buy in this order.

1) Blackbird Tenor (order on line)
2) KoAloha Tenor (on my next Hawaii trip)
3) Tiny Tenor (on my Asia trip)

is the blackbird tenor the carbon fibre one? sounds interesting

Hippie Dribble
04-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Collings UC2.

Camsuke
04-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Warm Slippers.

CeeJay
04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
A curry.

With Mixed Pickle.

kohanmike
04-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Custom body for the Rondo Hadean solid body u-bass I just bought. First image is how it looks now, second is how it's going to look with a replacement body.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Rondo Hadean burst.jpg
http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Violin bass solid red705.jpg

CeeJay
04-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Custom body for the Rondo Hadean solid body u-bass I just bought. First image is how it looks now, second is how it's going to look with a replacement body.

Hmm a bit Frankenstein....new body. Mwahahahaha Igor , have you watered the brains today ?

Though it looks a bit nice and Hofner ish ....McCartneys choice of weapon ? Yes ?

Fred Ukestone
04-30-2015, 02:43 PM

I always enjoy reading your posts Kohanmike. You are a true original. You don't follow the pack. That approach is to be respected as it takes a bit of nerve.

This leads me to my question about your plans for this u-bass. Can I ask you why you have chosen to replace the body of your Rondo and keep just the neck rather than have a complete "Paul McCartney style' u-bass made for you.

Isn't that like replacing everything but the wheels on your car.

kohanmike
04-30-2015, 03:07 PM
Absolutely, a 20.75" scale 34" long Hofner style Beatles/McCartney bass (The CC Strummers have learned "Yellow Submarine" and "When I'm 64" and "Ob-La-Di"), but without the control panel I never liked. Looking to see if I can find a block of flame maple so it also has a bit of a violin look, but might be out of budget.

kohanmike
04-30-2015, 03:35 PM
I always enjoy reading your posts Kohanmike. You are a true original. You don't follow the pack. That approach is to be respected as it takes a bit of nerve.

Thanks very much for your support Fred, I do like having something different and I'm having a lot of fun doing the designs.

This leads me to my question about your plans for this u-bass. Can I ask you why you have chosen to replace the body of your Rondo and keep just the neck rather than have a complete "Paul McCartney style' u-bass made for you. Isn't that like replacing everything but the wheels on your car.

First I only play extra short scale, 21-23", but my idea started as a true Hofner style mini a few weeks ago on the Talk Bass forum where a thread went on about inexpensive alternatives to the Hofner, so I mocked up a steel string magnetic pickup 23" scale duplicating the Hofner. I contacted a couple of builders I use who said either they can't do it, or they would have a hard time duplicating a Hofner, and it would get expensive. I also have two other steel string small basses, and not being able to figure out how I could do it with poly strings, I put it aside.

Then last week I got on the Rondo site and they had these small poly string bases, so I bought a blue one to have modified (see my signature). Then I saw a thread here on UU from someone who wanted to make a cigar box u-bass. I suggested he just buy one of these Rondos, switch out the body and use all the other components, when bam, it hit me, I should do that with a violin body. My builder who's doing the mod on the blue one said he could make the violin style as a solid body without too much trouble, so I'll hold onto the Rondo sunburst until he's finished with the blue one.

itsme
04-30-2015, 03:37 PM
I never actually plan what I'm going to get next ... I let the ukes find me when the time is right!
I don't have any plans, either. But I'm always keeping my eyes open. Recently there was an all metal resonator uke on CL I was curious about, but the guy never got back to me, so I can only assume it was already gone. :(

Even in a city like mine (Los Angeles) where you can get pretty much anything you want, any time you want it, good ukes are hard to come by.
Some people seem to think L.A. has everything you could ever want, 24 hours a day. It ain't true. There aren't even any 24-hr supermarkets near me that I know of.

janeray1940
04-30-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't have any plans, either. But I'm always keeping my eyes open. Recently there was an all metal resonator uke on CL I was curious about, but the guy never got back to me, so I can only assume it was already gone. :(

I've had that happen too - you get your hopes up only to get no response, such a let-down.

I did get my favorite Kamaka concert via Craigslist (when I wasn't even looking, thanks to a friend's heads-up) so it does pay to keep an eye on the listings.

Some people seem to think L.A. has everything you could ever want, 24 hours a day. It ain't true. There aren't even any 24-hr supermarkets near me that I know of.

True, it really does depend on where you live and what you want. I can walk three blocks in any direction and easily find a Starbucks, but I hate Starbucks - so I have to mail-order my favorite coffee! First world problems, I know... :)

SoloRule
04-30-2015, 03:58 PM
I've had that happen too - you get your hopes up only to get no response, such a let-down.

I did get my favorite Kamaka concert via Craigslist (when I wasn't even looking, thanks to a friend's heads-up) so it does pay to keep an eye on the listings.

True, it really does depend on where you live and what you want. I can walk three blocks in any direction and easily find a Starbucks, but I hate Starbucks - so I have to mail-order my favorite coffee! First world problems, I know... :)

I just want to live in a city full of ukulele

Ukulele Eddie
04-30-2015, 04:13 PM
1. Hive Adirondack Spruce/Quilted Maple Tenor (Incoming)
2. Kinnard Western Red Cedar/Claro Walnut Deep Body Soprano (Incoming May)
3. Beau Hannam 19" baritone Player's model (end of 2015)
4. Moore Bettah Ukulele (someday)

I wouldn't mind a "strum-machine" soprano, but the Timms I recently acquired is way too loud for me and will be sold shortly. So, I can imagine replacing that but outside of that, while there are still a number of luthier's I'd like to experience, including Devine, Grimes, Hoffman, LFdM, and Lichty, I'm probably tapped out for awhile. Of course, there is one notable exception for an MBU. There's always room for one of those. ;-)

SoloRule
04-30-2015, 04:22 PM
1. Hive Adirondack Spruce/Quilted Maple Tenor (Incoming)
2. Kinnard Western Red Cedar/Claro Walnut Deep Body Soprano (Incoming May)
3. Beau Hannam 19" baritone Player's model (end of 2015)
4. Moore Bettah Ukulele (someday)

I wouldn't mind a "strum-machine" soprano, but the Timms I recently acquired is way too loud for me and will be sold shortly. So, I can imagine replacing that but outside of that, while there are still a number of luthier's I'd like to experience, including Devine, Grimes, Hoffman, LFdM, and Lichty, I'm probably tapped out for awhile. Of course, there is one notable exception for an MBU. There's always room for one of those. ;-)

That's quite a full collection on the go.

UkerDanno
04-30-2015, 06:32 PM
Don't plan on buying anything else at this point.

WOW! I just noticed, I passed 1,000 posts!!!

kkimura
05-01-2015, 03:51 AM
Some kinda spruce top
Maybe some kinda ceder top
A "K" brand (maybe a "KK")

Call this a uke bucket list?

Ukejenny
05-01-2015, 06:07 AM
My Blackbird Clara should be shipping next week, so I won't be shopping any time soon. My husband will be the next one to purchase a ukulele. He is doing his research and whatever he wants is what he will get. I would love for him to get an LfDM, because I know he has fallen in love with them. I have always loved them. If I were to ever get a custom build and spend an insane amount of money, it would be an LfDM.

As for my own shopping list, someday, I need to get a KPK concert deluxe to replace my tenor deluxe that my husband has claimed away from me.
If I love this Clara as much as I'm anticipating, I will want to get another exactly like it, only with a reentrant G instead of Low G. That way, I have a uke for whatever music I want to play.

drmosser
05-01-2015, 06:46 AM
Next up for me is a custom LoPrinzi tenor due to be finished this month.
After that I don't have a definitive plan on what the next ukulele acquisition might be.
I've been looking at concerts, KoAloha Naupakas, and more baritones.
I'm pretty flush with tenors. So perhaps a nicer concert is what I need to fill a possible gap in my collection.
Being realistic it will probably be a few months before my uke fund is recharged again, unless I sell off a few ukes (not listed in my signature). Being unrealistic, I avoid dealing in absolutes when a killer ukulele deal could cross my path at any moment. ;)

SoloRule
05-01-2015, 07:06 AM
My Blackbird Clara should be shipping next week, so I won't be shopping any time soon. My husband will be the next one to purchase a ukulele. He is doing his research and whatever he wants is what he will get. I would love for him to get an LfDM, because I know he has fallen in love with them. I have always loved them. If I were to ever get a custom build and spend an insane amount of money, it would be an LfDM.

As for my own shopping list, someday, I need to get a KPK concert deluxe to replace my tenor deluxe that my husband has claimed away from me.
If I love this Clara as much as I'm anticipating, I will want to get another exactly like it, only with a reentrant G instead of Low G. That way, I have a uke for whatever music I want to play.

Its so nice to see husband and wife both enjoy playing ukulele. Its a lot of fun making music together.