List of future purchase

I only have one: a tenor. Likely a LoPrinzi. But I will have to try it in person. If not a tenor, another concert--and I don't know what brand it would be. I have two solid koa ukes, and I would like mahogany next. Then I think I would do a one in, one out rule, but I think I'd be done. I'm not a big buyer myself.

I only have one: a tenor. Likely a LoPrinzi. But I will have to try it in person. If not a tenor, another concert--and I don't know what brand it would be. I have two solid koa ukes, and I would like mahogany next. Then I think I would do a one in, one out rule, but I think I'd be done. I'm not a big buyer myself.

At least you know what type of wood and style you want. That's very very good already.

Just one: A Pono MGB.
Ummm, for my wife...yes, yes, for my wife to play.
=)

Last edited:
I'd like to own a moore bettah tenor before I die. I've actually started a savings account for this. Maybe in a few years....

Curious about a FLEA Tenor. Hubby has a Flea Concert. I want to go to the store and test then out to see if it sounds much different.

I never actually plan what I'm going to get next ... I let the ukes find me when the time is right! I learned long ago that I'm a try-before-you-buy kind of girl, so that puts a bit of a limitation on things.

I never actually plan what I'm going to get next ... I let the ukes find me when the time is right! I learned long ago that I'm a try-before-you-buy kind of girl, so that puts a bit of a limitation on things.

Try before you buy?That's my dream.
Living in a country with limited selection. We will never get to buy anything. Ha ha. I guess that's a good thing so we don't go crazy

Try before you buy?That's my dream.
Living in a country with limited selection. We will never get to buy anything. Ha ha. I guess that's a good thing so we don't go crazy

Even in a city like mine (Los Angeles) where you can get pretty much anything you want, any time you want it, good ukes are hard to come by. For this, I am actually grateful - because otherwise I could see myself getting into some trouble!

Do you have a list of future purchase?
Here is mine. Not ambitious but very realistic .
This is what I will buy in this order.

1) Blackbird Tenor (order on line)
2) KoAloha Tenor (on my next Hawaii trip)
3) Tiny Tenor (on my Asia trip)

is the blackbird tenor the carbon fibre one? sounds interesting

Custom body for the Rondo Hadean solid body u-bass I just bought. First image is how it looks now, second is how it's going to look with a replacement body.

Rondo Hadean burst.jpg

Violin bass solid red705.jpg

Custom body for the Rondo Hadean solid body u-bass I just bought. First image is how it looks now, second is how it's going to look with a replacement body.

Rondo Hadean burst.jpg

Hmm a bit Frankenstein....new body. Mwahahahaha Igor , have you watered the brains today ?

Though it looks a bit nice and Hofner ish ....McCartneys choice of weapon ? Yes ?

Rondo Hadean burst.jpg

I always enjoy reading your posts Kohanmike. You are a true original. You don't follow the pack. That approach is to be respected as it takes a bit of nerve.

This leads me to my question about your plans for this u-bass. Can I ask you why you have chosen to replace the body of your Rondo and keep just the neck rather than have a complete "Paul McCartney style' u-bass made for you.

Isn't that like replacing everything but the wheels on your car.

Absolutely, a 20.75" scale 34" long Hofner style Beatles/McCartney bass (The CC Strummers have learned "Yellow Submarine" and "When I'm 64" and "Ob-La-Di"), but without the control panel I never liked. Looking to see if I can find a block of flame maple so it also has a bit of a violin look, but might be out of budget.

I always enjoy reading your posts Kohanmike. You are a true original. You don't follow the pack. That approach is to be respected as it takes a bit of nerve.

Thanks very much for your support Fred, I do like having something different and I'm having a lot of fun doing the designs.

This leads me to my question about your plans for this u-bass. Can I ask you why you have chosen to replace the body of your Rondo and keep just the neck rather than have a complete "Paul McCartney style' u-bass made for you. Isn't that like replacing everything but the wheels on your car.

First I only play extra short scale, 21-23", but my idea started as a true Hofner style mini a few weeks ago on the Talk Bass forum where a thread went on about inexpensive alternatives to the Hofner, so I mocked up a steel string magnetic pickup 23" scale duplicating the Hofner. I contacted a couple of builders I use who said either they can't do it, or they would have a hard time duplicating a Hofner, and it would get expensive. I also have two other steel string small basses, and not being able to figure out how I could do it with poly strings, I put it aside.

Then last week I got on the Rondo site and they had these small poly string bases, so I bought a blue one to have modified (see my signature). Then I saw a thread here on UU from someone who wanted to make a cigar box u-bass. I suggested he just buy one of these Rondos, switch out the body and use all the other components, when bam, it hit me, I should do that with a violin body. My builder who's doing the mod on the blue one said he could make the violin style as a solid body without too much trouble, so I'll hold onto the Rondo sunburst until he's finished with the blue one.

Last edited:
I never actually plan what I'm going to get next ... I let the ukes find me when the time is right!
I don't have any plans, either. But I'm always keeping my eyes open. Recently there was an all metal resonator uke on CL I was curious about, but the guy never got back to me, so I can only assume it was already gone. :(

Even in a city like mine (Los Angeles) where you can get pretty much anything you want, any time you want it, good ukes are hard to come by.
Some people seem to think L.A. has everything you could ever want, 24 hours a day. It ain't true. There aren't even any 24-hr supermarkets near me that I know of.

Top Bottom