What Would You Call This Chord?

JJFN

Reaction score
I was fooling around playing an F9 chord when I accidentally played this chord, 3000. It sounds pretty nice with the F9, but I can't figure out a name for it. Help please!

I put it into a reverse chord generator and it came out with Am/A#, which is a bit of a cop out, I know. Played it on my uke, didn't like the sound of it. But each to their own.

It looks like a C7 with a suspended sixth. In re-entrant tuning, I wouldn't use it as a stand-alone chord. Maybe with linear. (Are you playing low G?)
In context it's not so odd. Try this: 2001 (exact same chord in re-entrant), open G string as a passing note, and resolve to 2010 (or 0010 as your F9 chord).

Thank you Stevepetergal, yes, I was tuned low G, linear. When strummed with the F9 it had a jazzy sound to me. I'm working on a further progression from these two chords.

I would consider it a C13, which can also be played as 3453, both go very well with F9 played as 2333. These chords can function as the I and IV in jazzy blues.

I was fooling around playing an F9 chord when I accidentally played this chord, 3000. It sounds pretty nice with the F9, but I can't figure out a name for it. Help please!

Umm, Booo ?

Sorry . I'll just be over here putting my coat on .......

Umm, Dissonant ? Although I am all re-entrant ........so that doesn't help.

Thanks Dougf, I'm working with the basic jazz progressions seeing what I can come up with. I do play the F9, 2333. Also use the jazz progression Glen Rose suggests.

CeeJay, I'm not sure I understand your message.

You would be right not to.

I would call the chord Booo....like Boo with an extra "0".....3000 ...Booo ....oh .....like on a numberplate ...when you make words up....or is that just me ...uh oh ...?

And having played it is sounding truly awful on a re-entrant uke....so therefore Dissonant

never mind me ...I drift in and out of threads and annoy or amuse in equal quantities ......it's the British in me......or the english in the British ..not sure ...

Toodle Pip

It's used a lot in Hawaiian music where you play F chord and then you slide it up on the 4th string for Low G ie White Sandy Beach.

Here is a Tahitian song that is also in the key of F.

http://youtu.be/RCRbSJYj9BQ

In his Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele, Mark Nelson uses 3-0-0-0 in "Over the Rainbow" at one point to conclude the basic melody and to tee up its repetition. The chord symbol over this bar is C7, but that spelling might be there for another instrument to use when strumming alongside.

Edit/addition: I believe Mark Nelson's arrangement is in F.

Last edited:
3-0-0-1 would be a pretty 'true' C7 so maybe 3-0-0-0 is C7dim. Right.

Qm, I like that Uke Jenny. So now we have found three versions of the C13. 3000, 3453 and 3200. They all sound good with the F9. Since they are the I IV jazzy chords I will have fun filling in the blanks. Very interesting. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Last edited:
I call it Bob.

I can't remember who gave me this, but it is a very good site to find chords. You can enter the name of the chord, or you can put in the fingering and get the name of the chord. It works great, and you can put it on your computer to use it when you are not connected to the internet. It says C13 by the way.http://ukulelehelper.com/index.html#

Last edited:
Thank you Rllink this is another useful site. C13 is definitely in the lead. LOL

Why "m" on a major chord?

This is why I don't trust the output of chord tools—their palette is usually limited to more frequently used chords, voicings or names, and some only offer one name for a shape, ignoring the role of context in interpretation. One tool (until recently) claimed you couldn't play extended chords like 9ths, 11ths, 13ths and 6/9s on the ukulele—I lived in fear the Ukulele Police would arrest me for my frequent violations.

There is a sometimes used wildcard symbol for chord names: *. So, dodging the question, one could call the chord C7*.

Pretty sure it was a joke...

I like to picture chords on a piano. It helps me understand music easier than on a guitar. A piano is linear and you can see the key and the steps on a keyboard. I'll put this chord 3000 in order from low to high notes. I'm assuming a high G tuning. If it is not in high g it still would not change the chord name.

The lowest note is from C E G (A# or B flat these are the same) The tritone C chord is CEG . This chord is in the root position, which is another way of saying that the C of the chord is the bottom tone. You think of this as a basic C chord with the C note being the lowest note.

Now, we have the A# or B#, which makes this a C7. Now a 7th chord is just a triad CEG with the 7th added. Now if we use a C scale starting from the bottom CDEFGABC . B is the 7th. Start with first C at the number 1. Then just go up in order. C 1 E 3 G is 5 B is 7

A tritone chord is simply 1-3-5 in a scale. This is why it is good to know some scales. Spend a little time understanding the circle of fifths and the this will help you learn what notes are sharp and flat in a scale. The C major scale is nice to work with because it has no sharps or flats.

Now since this 7th is flatened a half step, it makes it a Dominant 7th chord or a C7 which is the same thing only a shortened way of writing it. .

Extra stuff, do not read if you're not interested. If you want to make a minor chord then flatten the the third of the 135 notes in a scale. When you flatten on the ukulele or guitar, you just go down a fret. So if you can not read music,then if we have 3 0 0 0 and I want to flatten the note for three, it would look like this 2 0 0 0

I'm teaching my children the piano as their first instrument, since it builds a good foundation for musical understanding. There is a reason why when you major in music that you have keyboard studies, even if it is not your main instrument. A piano is very visual. You learn about bass, chord and melodies and combining them. You do not have to play the piano well to understand music. So if you have a chance or can access to a piano, pick up a book on music theory. Work through the book without worrying about your playing and the get the idea of how music is made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom