Low G single strings

Icelander53

Reaction score
I've switched to low g on almost all my ukes now. I'm hooked to low G and it works very well with the music I play. Anywho I have a lot of string sets now that need a single low G.

I was wondering what your favorites are? I've actually liked most low G strings I've used including the Aquila's. I've used Oasis and Koolau and Aquila and South Coast and I've liked them all with maybe a nod going to the South Coasts.

Anyway what do you like and why if you would? I need to buy soon. Oh and where do you get them?

Fremont Soloists, and nothing else. I get mine from HMS, Lucy's Ukulele on eBay, or Uke Republic.

As for why - I really dislike non-wound low G strings, and before these came on the market I liked to use classical guitar wound D strings. The downside was the ones I liked were hard to find and wore out really fast - not to mention they squeak like crazy. Doesn't really bother me but it is noticeable. The Fremont Soloists are made to be "squeakless" - they still have a little squeak, but it's much fainter. They last as long as my other strings do (I do a string change every three months), and since I only play concert and soprano scale one string is enough for two ukes (not so for tenors though).

Have I convinced you?? :)

When I was new here I kept hearing about "Freemont Soloist" squeekless polished wound low G. Everybody seemed to say they were a favourite, tried them and loved them. I usually buy 3-4 at a time, can be had for arounf $4.00 each from HMS, Just Strings, Strings and Beyond, Uke Republic, most on line places.

Appears Janeray and I were typing at the same time

When I was new here I kept hearing about "Freemont Soloist" squeekless polished wound low G. Everybody seemed to say they were a favourite, tried them and loved them. I usually buy 3-4 at a time, can be had for arounf $4.00 each from HMS, Just Strings, Strings and Beyond, Uke Republic, most on line places.

Great minds! :)

The Savarez Cantiga are very nice (514RH) but pricy at about $10 each on Strings ByMail. I third the nomination for the Fremont Soloist as well, and it is much less expensive.

Funny this came up. I just found a pack in my new case. Zach must have threw it in for me to try with the Southcoast. My fingers are burning from playing the Koolau gold strings . After playing for hours , my other uke with oasis strings feel like feather.

Funny this came up. I just found a pack in my new case. Zach must have threw it in for me to try with the Southcoast. My fingers are burning from playing the Koolau gold strings . After playing for hours , my other uke with oasis strings feel like feather.

You have a few things going on there between the two ukes. Your other instrument that has the Oasis is a concert size, it has less string tension than a tenor. #2 is you have a wound G&C string, they will be higher tension and harder on the fingers because they are wound. #3 is the A&E strings being Ko'olah Golds are big and thick and stiff. So your Kanilea comcert with Oasis will feel effortless compared to what you have been playing all day on your new Pono tenor.

I remember Icelander going through the same thing with his new Pono about 6 months ago.

I like Ko'olau strings on Pono's very much. South Coast just a bit more and that's what I'm strung with on one of the Pono's. Worth's seem to do well with my Pono's also and my other one is got worths with a Oasis Low G.

You have a few things going on there between the two ukes. Your other instrument that has the Oasis is a concert size, it has less string tension than a tenor. #2 is you have a wound G&C string, they will be higher tension and harder on the fingers because they are wound. #3 is the A&E strings being Ko'olah Golds are big and thick and stiff. So your Kanilea comcert with Oasis will feel effortless compared to what you have been playing all day on your new Pono tenor.

I remember Icelander going through the same thing with his new Pono about 6 months ago.

Dave, your diagnosis is spot on!
So what did Icelander do to solve this issue?

I like Ko'olau strings on Pono's very much. South Coast just a bit more and that's what I'm strung with on one of the Pono's. Worth's seem to do well with my Pono's also and my other one is got worths with a Oasis Low G.

You answered my question the same time I hit reply. :D

I got used to it and then prefered them. ;)

This is the trick to it all regarding string tension, hardness, stiffness whatever you want to call it. If you like the sound enough you can get use to any uke strings. Heck just go borrow a friends steel string acoustic guitar and any and all uke strings will feel like silk.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Ice. I have really enjoyed the South Coast RW (round wound) for sound but the Freemont does everything the SC does, is squeekless, cheaper and much more widely available.

On my re entrant Pono, I use a Mahana or Gold wound third with Bright Oasis for the rest. It is quite nice.

This is the trick to it all regarding string tension, hardness, stiffness whatever you want to call it. If you like the sound enough you can get use to any uke strings. Heck just go borrow a friends steel string acoustic guitar and any and all uke strings will feel like silk.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Ice. I have really enjoyed the South Coast RW (round wound) for sound but the Freemont does everything the SC does, is squeekless, cheaper and much more widely available.

Really? Available where? HMS but the shipping is more than the strings. Elderly is out of them and Uke Republic does not have the wound low G. So where oh where can I buy some????

Really? Available where? HMS but the shipping is more than the strings. Elderly is out of them and Uke Republic does not have the wound low G. So where oh where can I buy some????

I just googled and Elderly says they are in stock.:)Better yet is ebay seller "lucysukulele" that janeray had mentiomed. Just checked and instock, $4.00 each and $1.00 shipping. She is in Washington state so you will get it quick.

Remember me come Christmas time :shaka:

I just googled and Elderly says they are in stock.:)Better yet is ebay seller "lucysukulele" that janeray had mentiomed. Just checked and instock, $4.00 each and $1.00 shipping. She is in Washington state so you will get it quick.

Remember me come Christmas time :shaka:
could not find them on ebay, have a link?

I also like the Fremont soloist, but it sounds just a bit more "nasal" (my word) than the D'addario NYL026W. That's what I use.

Top Bottom