First Uke Project Complete!

mwaller

Reaction score
Thanks to all who helped answer some of my questions about soundboard thickness and bracing patterns. Here is the finished result:

This is a modified Grizzly kit. The soundboard was replaced with Engleman Spruce, sanded down to approximately 1.5mm thick. I conditioned the wood with Benite from Dalys, filled the mahogany grain with a paste grain filler from Dalys, then finished with 4 coats of Tru-Oil. It's strung with Aquila strings.

The sound is BIG! I don't know that I've played a soprano with this much volume! I still have to resolve some intonation issues, but overall I'm quite pleased with this first effort.

Thanks for reading!
Mika

Attachments

• GrizzlyUke1.jpg
    GrizzlyUke1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 94
  • GrizzlyUke2.jpg
    GrizzlyUke2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 75
Good job! If I'd tried to do that, the results would not be pretty. (It would probably look like the deformed child of a log and a box of strings.)

Thanks for replies!

I started building after work on Thursday, and finished up on Sunday. I figure about 2 days work. A lot of time was spent waiting for glue to dry :)
Mika

Grizzly kit on some major mojo modifications. Great looking uke, The louder they sing the better!

It's very pleasing to the eye. I can see your attention to detail. :shaka:

wow, nice job on the build! do you have any video/audio samples?

I might be able to record a few strums for those who are interested. I'm not much of a player, though. Can you suggest a convenient way to share a .mp3 or .wav with the forum?
Mika

Top Bottom