Kamaka hf2 owners or custom made owners.

Rod Searle

Reaction score
Iam really in a quandary regarding my upgrade from a laminate.
My choice will be a Kamaka hf2, or a custom made Barron River
Mahogany concert, the Kamaka is about $250 higher in price.
Due to my location Iam unable to check them out, so Iam getting
as much info as I can from you guys and gals before I lay my
money down. I would appreciate your thoughts.

I live in Singapore and have little access to the best ukes out there.

I have bought seven ukes from HMS and I have never been disappointed. Get a Kamaka from HMS.

I've been playing for 6 years and one of the first ukes I bought was a Kamaka HF-2. I still play it every day - I think they're great ukes. If you can't buy one in person, buy from a reliable dealer like HMS; I doubt that you'll be disappointed. Can't speak to the custom as I'm unfamiliar with the maker, but I will say that I like my HF-2 better than many of the customs I've encountered (including one I re-homed).

At least in the USA, Kamaka has a much higher retained resale value than custom ukuleles. This is generally true.

Greetings Rod,

I have owned an HF-2 since 2011. It has always been a great ukulele. When purchasing, it came down to about a one hour back & forth session between the HF-2 and the other K brand concert (after eliminating a few other brands through playing at Hilo Guitars). The sound and playability of the Kamaka is what made me finally choose the HF-2. I have a few ukuleles of various sizes/brands, but truly enjoy the HF-2.

Kamaka HF-2.jpg

As Janeray1940 mentioned, first choice would be to try one in person. If that isn't possible, I'd definitely recommend the folks at HMS as well.

Hope this helps a bit

Tenor or concert question aside, those Baron River instruments are beautiful and I wouldn't even consider the Kamaka, if I were in your shoes (and I've played dozens of Kamakas and not one Baron River).
The Baron River ukuleles are obviously made with great care and artistry.
I only hedge when confronted with the re-sale value issue, but I never consider this factor. Not ever.

I would get a Barron River over a Kamaka for less money. And no, I haven't touched a Barron River. Ever. There are plenty of videos and photos of them out there, though. I like the look/style of BR better, and the sound of Bosko's mahogany 5-string concert is just awesome.

Easy...Kamaka and buy from HMS.

I am one to definitely think about resale value as I used to like to try a bunch of ukes...now not so much since I now try to stick with brands I like.

I would listen to bunch of videos and see which sound I like better. If it's Kamaka, I would buy a used one as there's uncertainty. I know many say there's variance in Kamakas but it's still a production uke. If it's the Barron River, I would get the most basic model since there's still uncertainty. If I really do like it, I would eventually get a fully customized uke with the specs you like and not worry about resale value since you know it's a keeper.

Good luck!!

Top Bottom