PDA

View Full Version : New Uke Day! Pono Mango Baritone!

Hochapeafarm
05-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Woot woot!!!!!! My new Pono Mango Baritone ukulele arrived today from HMS/The Ukulele Site!!! I AM THRILLED with this uke! If you're interested in hearing a little more about it and a sound sample, please check out my vid below (sorry that the vid/sound got off sych later in the video)!

So many thanks to HMS -- to Noah in customer service and to 'J.B.' who set-up and packed my ukulele perfectly and with care! You guys are the best!!!

(Oh, and Mods, if this should be in Links & Vids -- or wherever else -- I apologize!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaKbVYIDZKk

Tommy B
05-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Sounds great and looks beautiful. Congratulations!

hawaii 50
05-01-2015, 04:55 PM
I like it...:)
I was the guy who picked up the phone at the HMS(The Ukulele Site) store.....I switched you to Noah when I saw they had the baritone in stock at the store.....

I will let Joel and Noah know you are enjoying the uke......

Hochapeafarm
05-01-2015, 05:15 PM
Thank you so much, Tommy B!!! I am SUPER excited!!!

Sounds great and looks beautiful. Congratulations!

Hochapeafarm
05-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Aloha, Len! Great to hear from you and so happy to see your comment! Very cool that you were there when I called! Thank you for helping me and for passing along my thoughts to Noah and Joel! :-) I'm coming to HI this fall and would love to meet you and Stan -- and go to HMS, of course! :-) Happy strummings!

I was the guy who picked up the phone at the HMS(The Ukulele Site) store.....I switched you to Noah when I saw they had the baritone in stock at the store.....

Leigh Coates
05-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Beautiful baritone! I've been wanting one for a couple of years, & this sounds like it could be the one. Thank you.

hollisdwyer
05-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Your joy in making music on a fine instrument is so evident. Congratulations.

cpmusic
05-01-2015, 06:15 PM
It's beautiful! The mango's figuring is incredible, and even through YouTube and computer speakers, the tone is rich and clean. Congratulations!

hawaii 50
05-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Aloha, Len! Great to hear from you and so happy to see your comment! Very cool that you were there when I called! Thank you for helping me and for passing along my thoughts to Noah and Joel! :-) I'm coming to HI this fall and would love to meet you and Stan -- and go to HMS, of course! :-) Happy strummings!

too bad you can not be here for the Ukulele Festival in July.....would be nice to meet you when you get here
I did mention to Andrew that you were getting the Mango Baritone.....:)

sam13
05-01-2015, 06:23 PM

Great sounding Uke. Congratulations, I hope you have hours of enjoyment from your new Pono. Welcome to the Pono Posse.

And Len, can't wait to get to Hawaii and help Andrew sell Ukes along side with you.

igorthebarbarian
05-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Nut widths! haha. Lovely uke. Sounds awesome. Very good review/good video. Thank you for sharing!

dirtiestkidever
05-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Congrats! It sounds great and looks beautiful.

Rakelele
05-01-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the great review and sound sample! Those Pono Baritones are the best. My own experience was very similar to what you said: It opened up a new realm of playing. And yeah: Stick to your nut widths... :D

wayward
05-01-2015, 11:34 PM
I bought my Pono Mango Baritone back in August and reviewed it on here soon after because I loved the sound of it so much: I opted for the Pono Mango Baritone because some baris sound like thin guitars to me whereas the Pono MGB sounded, well, more like a richer deeper ukulele in the samples I heard... and I wasn't disappointed! Wishing you many happy years playing this lovely ukulele.

turtledrum
05-02-2015, 01:12 AM
Congratulations! I have a Pono MTDX 8, which I love. I hope that you'll be enjoying your Pono a great deal in days to come.

Dancing Seahorse
05-02-2015, 02:18 AM
That is one beautiful looking and sounding uke! All I can say is "WOW!" from hearing the first chord that you strummed. Congratulations on your new baritone. Thank you for sharing your NUD with us.

Ukulele Eddie
05-02-2015, 03:30 AM
I think that is one of the best values in ukes currently available. Looks like you got an especially nicely figured one, too. Pretty cool to do the NUD celebration with a video, too. Well done!

PhilUSAFRet
05-02-2015, 03:31 AM
Congrats on a great looking and sounding bari

UkerDanno
05-02-2015, 04:07 AM
very nice playing! Is that a Gordon Lightfoot song? Sounds familiar, but can't think of what it is for sure.

tbeltrans
05-02-2015, 04:08 AM
Hochapeafarm -

Congrats on your new Pono baritone. Very nice video review. I just finished watching your series on ukulele comfort issues. These were very informative. Nice job!

Tony

fretie
05-02-2015, 04:24 AM
Gorgeous uke and a very sweet vid review!

johnson430
05-02-2015, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the video review.
If I decide to ever get another uke it will be the Pono MGB.
I love my MGT.
Enjoy that beautiful baritone.
Cheers,
Johnson
=)

sam13
05-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I love my MGT.
Cheers,
Johnson
=)
You've been talking about the Mango Baritone for bit now. I think it's for your wife, right? ��
Go for it, you know you will love it.

Hochapeafarm
05-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Hi, Leigh! Thank you so much for your comments and compliments on my new uke! :-) I am VERY impressed with this ukulele and already, in this short time of having the ukulele, I feel such a strong bond and connection with this instrument and the sound she creates! ~ Chelle :-)

Beautiful baritone! I've been wanting one for a couple of years, & this sounds like it could be the one. Thank you.

Hochapeafarm
05-02-2015, 05:47 PM
Hi, Cam! You know what, I thought I'd always be a tenor gal, but...that bari bug bit me, big time, and I couldn't be happier about it!!! This Pono Mango Baritone is outstanding and I am just tickled silly about this fabulous instrument! Thank you for sharing your thoughtful comments -- I am so grateful! ~ Chelle :-)

Congratulations Chelle, it's terrific to see you with a baritone ukulele, I'm sure it will provide plenty of inspiration for more great videos! It looks and sounds just wonderful! Well done.

Hochapeafarm
05-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi, hollisdwyer! Thank you so much! Your comment must be one of the nicest ones I've ever received and it means so much to me! You are so right about how much joy making music gives to me! Thank you for recognizing that -- again, it means the world to me! Wishing you the best and many happy strummings! ~ Chelle

Your joy in making music on a fine instrument is so evident. Congratulations.

Hochapeafarm
05-02-2015, 05:52 PM
Hi, cpmusic! Thank you for your awesome feedback! I am, indeed, extremely impressed with this ukulele! You are right about the figuring and I am so glad that you could appreciate her sound through your computer's speakers. Computer speakers are always unpredictable about how things will sound on each person's device, tricky when you're trying to make music videos! I am taken aback by the quality and tone of this instrument -- just outstanding! Thanks, again! ~ Chelle :-)

It's beautiful! The mango's figuring is incredible, and even through YouTube and computer speakers, the tone is rich and clean. Congratulations!

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Hi, Len! Thanks for letting Andrew know! I'll keep you and Stan posted on our plans to visit HI -- I can't wait! Maybe next year, I'll be able to make it to the Ukulele Festival -- I am assuming it's always in July?

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:34 PM
Hey there, sam13!

Thanks for the congrats and kind words on my new Pono -- I am happy to be part of the posse, for sure!

Happy strummings!
~ Chelle :-)

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Hey, hi igor! Yep, nut widths, indeed! :-D Thank you for sharing your kind words about my NUD! All the best and many happy strums! ~ Chelley :-)

Nut widths! haha. Lovely uke. Sounds awesome. Very good review/good video. Thank you for sharing!

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:38 PM
Thanks so much, dirtiestkidever! I appreciate your thoughtful comments so much!!! I love this ukulele! Kindest regards, ~ Chelle :-)

Congrats! It sounds great and looks beautiful.

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Hey there, Rakelele! Yes!!! I do feel that a whole new realm of playing has awakened -- opened up! I am thrilled about my new Pono and playing a bari -- I think it will really help me grow as a uke player immensely, too! And, yep, I'll stick to my nut widths, indeed! ;-D Thank you so much for sharing your comments! All the best, ~ Chelle :-)

Thanks for the great review and sound sample! Those Pono Baritones are the best. My own experience was very similar to what you said: It opened up a new realm of playing. And yeah: Stick to your nut widths... :D

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Hi, wayward! It is indeed that richer, deeper sound that I am particularly enamored with on this uke! Thank you so much for your lovely thoughts and I am glad that you also have a Pono MGB to enjoy as well!!! I will look for your review! Many happy strums to you! ~ Chelle :-)

I bought my Pono Mango Baritone back in August and reviewed it on here soon after because I loved the sound of it so much: I opted for the Pono Mango Baritone because some baris sound like thin guitars to me whereas the Pono MGB sounded, well, more like a richer deeper ukulele in the samples I heard... and I wasn't disappointed! Wishing you many happy years playing this lovely ukulele.

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:45 PM
Aloha, turtledrum! Thank you so much for commenting and for your congrats and well wishes regarding my new Pono MGB! I am not sure what the Pono MTDX 8 model is but now I will look it up to see what you have -- I am glad that you love your Pono so much, too! They are such quality instruments with a sound that is out of this world! Happy strummings!!! ~ Chelley :-)

Congratulations! I have a Pono MTDX 8, which I love. I hope that you'll be enjoying your Pono a great deal in days to come.

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:48 PM
Hello, Dancing Seahorse (love your screen name!) ~ Your thoughtful comments are so appreciated -- thank you for taking time to share then with me and watch the demo video! I am so happy that you understand that "WOW!" factor from the very first strum, too -- same from me here! It's mesmerizing to me! All the best to you! ~ Chelley :-)

That is one beautiful looking and sounding uke! All I can say is "WOW!" from hearing the first chord that you strummed. Congratulations on your new baritone. Thank you for sharing your NUD with us.

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Ukulele Eddie! Hello! Your recommendation for the Pono MGB is largely why I decided to go with this particular bari! And you were 110% spot on with the recommendation -- I am in LOVE with this uke! I know that it will teach me so much and give me years of playing/listening enjoyment!!! Thank you for chiming in on my other thread re: being bitten by the bari uke bug -- and for the kind words, here, on this thread as well! :-) I agree, too, the figuring on mine is lovely -- I couldn't be happier with this purchase! Mahalo and many happy strummings! ~ Chelle

I think that is one of the best values in ukes currently available. Looks like you got an especially nicely figured one, too. Pretty cool to do the NUD celebration with a video, too. Well done!

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:52 PM
Hi, PhilUSAFRet! Thank you for the very kind thoughts re: my new Pono bari -- so much appreciated!!! Happy strums! ~ Chelley :-)

Congrats on a great looking and sounding bari

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Hey there, UkerDanno! Thank you so much for your sweet comment and I am so happy that you liked the tune I played! It is something that I have been working on and I made up, but maybe somewhere in my mind someone's song influenced me being drawn to those particular chords -- I will have to check out Gordon Lightfoot's stuff to see if I can find something there! Thanks, again, for sharing your thoughts! :-) Happy strummings! ~ Chelle :-)

very nice playing! Is that a Gordon Lightfoot song? Sounds familiar, but can't think of what it is for sure.

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:58 PM
Hey there, Tony (tbeltrans)! I'm glad that you liked the review and that you liked the Comfy Uke series, too! I REALLY appreciate you letting me know that! I struggled so much with wrist issues with my left hand for so long and it took lots of trial and error to figure out what kind of things made my playing more comfortable. I hope that the suggestions will benefit you! Thank you, also, for the lovely words regarding my new Pono, too! All the best to you for many years of (comfortable!) and happy strums! ~ Chelley :-)

Hochapeafarm -

Congrats on your new Pono baritone. Very nice video review. I just finished watching your series on ukulele comfort issues. These were very informative. Nice job!

Tony

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Hi, fretie! Thank you so very, very much! So appreciate the kind words!!! Happy strummings! ~ Chelle :-)

Gorgeous uke and a very sweet vid review!

Hochapeafarm
05-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Hi there, johnson430! I am SO pleased and impressed with the Pono brand -- I have never had one up until I bought the Pono MGB bari -- I can't recommend the brand or this particular model enough! It's so fantastic to know that you feel so happy with your MGT -- nothing like loving our ukuleles to keep us playing them more and more! :-) Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! All the best to you! ~ Chelle :-)

I love my MGT.
Cheers,
Johnson
=)

Hippie Dribble
05-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Hey Chelle!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Gee it sounds gorgeous, so warm and mellow. And such pretty curl in the wood. I love it and mangoes are orange, right? :p Feeling the love mate!!! She's a perfect match for you, can't wait to hear you make some more beautiful music with her. x

drbekken
05-04-2015, 11:11 PM
That instrument is INCREDIBLE. I'll start saving. Just bought a new digital stage piano, as the old one almost fell apart. That set me back some...
Hope to see more videos with that baritone!

Hochapeafarm
05-15-2015, 09:59 PM
Aloha, Hippie, and heartfelt thanks for the super-sweet thoughts on the new Pono -- yes, feeling the love this fine ukulele has, for sure! Peace, brother, Jon!

Hey Chelle!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Gee it sounds gorgeous, so warm and mellow. And such pretty curl in the wood. I love it and mangoes are orange, right? :p Feeling the love mate!!! She's a perfect match for you, can't wait to hear you make some more beautiful music with her. x

Hochapeafarm
05-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Aloha, drbekken! It's so delightful to see your comments -- mahalo!!! I'm, indeed, quite smitten with this ukulele and highly recommend it! Hope to hear from you again sometime soon! All the best to you, ~ Chelle :-)

That instrument is INCREDIBLE. I'll start saving. Just bought a new digital stage piano, as the old one almost fell apart. That set me back some...
Hope to see more videos with that baritone!