Next uke suggestion

plunker

Reaction score
I currently have a Kala KA-T . I am starting to think about moving up. Up grade suggestions would be appreciated. Price range around $ 200.00, and I like the tenor. Its easy to spend the next guys money. So please, be nice. Also, if you know, please give me some idea of what to expect in improvement. (sound quality, playability, looks probably is least to me.)

Last edited:
I say save up a little more, about $270 and get a Kala solid cedar top acacia body. It sounds and plays like a much more expensive uke.

You can't go wrong with any of the Mainland tenors.

I looked up your suggestion. Makes me think I should shake the piggy bank a little harder. I know its tough to describ. What kind of differences should I expect?

Are you asking about the Kala or the Mainland? My Kala really surprised me when I got it, very good projection and sustain right out of the box. I had the action lowered a little and it's very easy to play. I got the cutaway with pickup/preamp/tuner, it's my gig uke, except I'm playing more bass uke now.

I was thinking along the same lines. Either an all mahogany Mainland or the cedar topped Kala Kohanmike listed. This will take closer to $275.00 on your part but if you are going to up grade then make sure you upgrade.

To answer your question about what you should expect, better over all sound, individual note definition, more sustain and projection. Easiest way to describe it is the difference in listening to poor sounding speakers than great sounding speaker, you can hear the difference.

A used entry level Pono. Or a second. Great value and worth waiting for or saving that extra money.

Looking at the OP's budget, perhaps the best thing to do is nothing at all. The playability of the Kala is not bad, and maybe a change of strings might up the sound quality somewhat. Considering the money involved, the "bang for the buck" increase may not be worth the expense.

For $200 or so, it may be better to follow the UU marketplace (or other reputable sites) and see what comes available. Some very good, barely used instruments are often found in the marketplace, and the price difference between new-retail and used can make that $200 go a lot further.

I was thinking along the same lines. Either an all mahogany Mainland or the cedar topped Kala Kohanmike listed. This will take closer to $275.00 on your part but if you are going to up grade then make sure you upgrade.

To answer your question about what you should expect, better over all sound, individual note definition, more sustain and projection. Easiest way to describe it is the difference in listening to poor sounding speakers than great sounding speaker, you can hear the difference.

I think that is the best advice. And you really answered my question. When I upgrade, it should really be an upgrade. I would hate to spend $ 200.00 and make a mediocre difference, when a little patience and some bag lunches would be really what I was looking to do.

Last edited:
Ukerdano, are these good suggestions or have you had experience with the actual instrument, or...Mainline is just a good quality consistent instrument for the price. One of those you can,t go wrong with thm type of company.

Ukerdano, are these good suggestions or have you had experience with the actual instrument, or...Mainline is just a good quality consistent instrument for the price. One of those you can,t go wrong with thm type of company.

some friends have the Fenders, they sound good! The Mainland might be your best option of all the ones mentioned so far. No personal experience, but I've heard nothing but good comments. Kind of wanted a Mainland concert, but went with Kanile'a for my one main player.

Mainland is a good step up. They are set up well and go under a rigorous quality control and assembly. Get in touch with them......they sometimes have
"2nds", new but with very slight blemishes, around your price range.

I see some people have suggested saving a little more for the cedar topped Kala or a Pono. I have a 5 string tenor cedar topped Kala and can confirm the comments made about it previously on this thread: the sustain is particularly impressive. If you are choosing between these 2 brands you should also consider the wood available for your budget - which is down to personal preference. I have an acacia concert deluxe Pono and a mango baritone Pono - both sound very different and both have a richer tone than the Kala. Try listening to the sound samples on HMS if the tone and sustain are most important to you as I've found these very helpful when narrowing my choice, even through crummy computer speakers. Enjoy your new ukulele, what ever it may be :cheers:

I second the suggestion to save up. However it's advice I did not take myself and I found it a valuable experience to own many ukes. From that experience I now believe I can tell a good sounding and playing uke from something else. Hence I've moved up to Pono for acoustic and Risa for electric.

It may depend on your $$ resources. I was in a position to write off some ukes to find what I want and never miss the $$ loss. Not everyone is in that financial position. That's why I recommend you save up for something you'll be wowed by if you are only going to own a couple.

I actually want to sell a few off but I'm just too lazy. I have three very decent mid range ukes
($300-500) that I almost never play. The Pono's have spoiled me.

Last edited:
I second the suggestion to save up. However it's advice I did not take myself and I found it a valuable experience to own many ukes. From that experience I now believe I can tell a good sounding and playing uke from something else. Hence I've moved up to Pono for acoustic and Risa for electric.

It may depend on your $$ resources. I was in a position to write off some ukes to find what I want and never miss the $$ loss. Not everyone is in that financial position. That's why I recommend you save up for something you'll be wowed by if you are only going to own a couple.

I actually want to sell a few off but I'm just too lazy. I have three very decent mid range ukes
($300-500) that I almost never play. The Pono's have spoiled me.

I have a Lute a lele in the too lazy to get up an sell. I know the feeling. Thanks. You really love the Pono, Huh?

HHey Icelander53. I looked online. Pono MTDX can be had for about $350.00. I started at $ 200.00, then the suggestions said wait, many good suggestions were made in the $ 270.00 range. Now I am up to $ 350.00. I am now trying to figure what I can sell around thhe house, this is stating to get out of control. Thank you so much though. I really don't want to be penny wise and sound foolish.

Top Bottom