Another Jig thingie video

Timbuck

Reaction score
I've been busy in the shed doing the thing I like best ..Inventing things ;)..This one is an idea I thought up sometime back but never got round to building it to see if it worked....After i've cut the dovetails on the router and then bandsaw..there is always a bit of hand work to do to get a good fit.... So this device is to remove the final bits of wood at the end of the heel that I usually do with the chisle.
It turned out to work so well that i'm going make a better one using propper engineering materials instead of the scrap box parts..maybe I could add a motor :rolleyes:
Anyway here is a video I made of the device.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7o-8Osz0Q

Last edited:
Handy tool. If I might suggest... perhaps some springs under the abrasive block so that it more easily returns to the upper position?

Refining the building process is my favorite part of lutherie just now. I only wish I was as adept at it as you, Ken.

I will most likely never build a ukulele anytime soon, if ever. I'm a tinkerer myself having built professional tattoo machines from scraps and found parts scavenged from lamps and plumbing as the old timers before me. I find your videos very interesting I think its great to see someones solutions to make something from nothing.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Most definitely cool. Instead of sandpaper what do you think of using a very sharp shaped blade? All of the slicing would happen down and in on the edges so I would think it would make a very smooth clean edge. Sort of a curved bladed version of this. http://www.rockler.com/miter-trimme...49&sid=v9100&gclid=CPzvj-Orp8UCFcNffgodzBIApA
Yes! My Dad had one of those..And the blade idea was also in my head from the start..I have the materials and the machinary to make one...but I'm not ready yet to take the job to that extreme:)

Last edited:
Geez Ken....you have just about every building step jig-ified now. Maybe you can set up some conveyor belts to move materials around to each one. You wouldn't need to be in the shop at all!

Yes! My Dad had one of those..

Yup one of those things I have always wanted but no matter how hard I tried could never justify buying. I do use a 24" by 24 " (61 x 61 cm) old school guillotine type paper cutter to trim thin sheet metal and veneers. I need to resharpen the blade and fashion a pressure bar to trim thicker wood.

... And the blade idea was also in my head from the start..I have the materials and the machinary to make one...but I'm not ready yet to take the job to that extreme:)

Oh come on, you know you want to. :drool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmH46OVWEUE&app=desktop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL353b0Xhnc&app=desktop

When I get an idea and the the urge for a new jig it usually dissipates into the thought "now where on earth would I store that", then I just continue to wing it free hand. Just saw Mark Roberts bending jig and man, that is a fine piece of kit.

:rolleyes: Nice ! Speculating: "A large amount of ukes have been ordered" "Demand has increased, and you are tweaking you "production process" ?

:rolleyes: Nice ! Speculating: "A large amount of ukes have been ordered" "Demand has increased, and you are tweaking you "production process" ?

I may be wrong, but I think that the end goal is the process, the little Martin Style O replicas that appear magically at the end of that process are a bonus. The more he tweaks the process the faster those little gems pop out at the end, each one more perfect than the last.

I may be wrong, but I think that the end goal is the process, the little Martin Style O replicas that appear magically at the end of that process are a bonus. The more he tweaks the process the faster those little gems pop out at the end, each one more perfect than the last.
I wish it was like that..But! After countless builds I'm still struggling to get there ..mainly the wood/material is the problem...one batch is nothing like the next one :(

Earlier content of post removed as per Pete's suggestion - had not meant it to sound patronizing. I have read all the threads on the forum, it took a couple of weeks and I did skip some individual posts, but I especially look forward to the threads by several of the long term members, Ken's in particular as he does an incredible job with his ukes and jigs and he generally adds a touch of humor that is much appreciated. I do admit however that I tend to ramble on, get distracted, and think out loud at the keyboard so I apologize if it seemed that I was criticizing Ken that defiantly was not the intention.

Last edited:
Maine - I would take down your patronizing post before you get well and properly flamed! Ken is one of the most experienced and clued in Martin style builders around who doesn't get easily offended. I do however and posts by newbies like this show that you simply have not done your homework and you, quite frankly don't know what or who you are talking about. Have you seen Ken's neck making setup - it is about as semi-automated as a small 2 shed operation could accomplish or his back bending jig, the boat curve sanding board that accurately replicates the Martin back curvature?. You really need to do your homework buddy!

With you on the wood issue Ken. My recent news has distracted me a bit. Sending you your 'fee' tomorrow...

Last edited:
Well I made a better designed sanding thingy, it only took a couple of hours..I made it more simple this time the dovetail block is made from Delrin mounted on a couple of 7mm bright steel rods ..I can now add this to my jig collection ;) BTW I scrapped the prototype.
Here are a couple of pic's in case someone wants to make one in the future.

Last edited:
A fixture like this is what will make dovetail joins doable for me. The same type fixture would make fine tuning even a glue/screw join like I'm doing now a lot easier.
Very nice and thank you!

Top Bottom