For Sale - Martin Style 3 Soprano - built 1955-1959 $2095

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarfan

Reaction score
SOLD - Martin Style 3 Soprano - circa 1955-1959

S O L D !

In 2013 I was fortunate to find this vintage Martin Style 3 Soprano ukulele. From what I can gather, the original owner played it in a band in the mid-50s. He has since passed and his wife does not play. The uke is in excellent condition for a 50+ yr-old instrument with very minor play wear. Some finish checking is evident as you would expect on a 60 year-old instrument. There is a rough spot on the back (lower bout - pictured) and one on the top right of the headstock (also pictured). Other than that this uke is in excellent condition.

Constructed of solid mahogany with the standard style 3 appointments I dated the instrument based on a couple things from the Walsh/King book titled "The Martin Ukulele." 1955 was the first year the fretboard stripe was eliminated and replaced with a seven dot fretboard marker pattern. In 1960 a "Made in U.S.A." stamp was added under the C.F. Martin stamp inside the sound hole which mine does not have placing it squarely in the 1955-1959 time period. Per the Walsh/King book there were 375 Style 3 Sopranos built during the 1955-1959 time period.

The sound is sweet with a very soft edge to the notes. I have changed the strings to Living Water and they are sounding very compatible with this Martin.

I am asking (SOLD plus shipping and fees (where applicable). Will entertain reasonable offers. Will ship CONUS only. No trades please.

DSCN2964.JPG

DSCN2965.JPG

DSCN2966.JPG

DSCN2967.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, wow, wow. Were I not facing two very nice incoming ukes, I'd jump on this.

Dennis, I can't wait to hear more about this "gee-tar" that has such a hold on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom