For Sale - 2013 Custom Mako Tenor Ukulele $3195

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigarfan

Reaction score
SOLD - 2013 Custom Mako Tenor Ukulele

This uke is S O L D

I know you folks are gonna say there goes cigarfan again trying to financially disrupt our well being with these gorgeous uke pictures. Well, I'm warning you right up front ... if you have just gotten your UAS under control and don't want to stir it up again, please stop reading and close this thread. I cannot be held accountable.

Today I'm selling my beautiful Custom Mako Tenor Ukulele handcrafted on the island of Maui by luthier Dennis Kato. Dennis is one of Hawaii’s many ukulele builders and is making 8-10 ukuleles per year. This uke was just completed in February 2013. It is absolutely stunning to look at and sonically very crisp and balanced tones all the way up the neck. Excellent volume and sustain. A sound that rings true ‘Hawaii’!

I didn't get any build specs with the instrument but this paragraph from the Ukulele Friend website describes the features. It comes in a CrossRock in a very nice hardshell case.

This gorgeous Custom Mako ‘Shark’ Tenor Ukulele is handcrafted of quarter-sawn curly Hawaiian Koa wood top, back and sides. The instrument boasts a Macassar Ebony fretboard, bridge, and headstock veneer with Brazilian Ebony fingerboard binding. Solid Maui-grown mahogany wood neck and graphite rod insert for added stability and sustain. The top and back binding is crafted with Maui-grown Robusta Eucalyptus wood. The fretboard is radiused at 20" for smooth play up and down the neck and a better wrist angle for playing. Paua shell fretboard position markers with a ‘shark eye’ marker at fret 17, soundboard Paua Abalone shell purfling, and a special shark headstock inlay. Paua Abalone shell inlay on fretboard and headstock. Paua Abalone shell and mother-of-pearl in the triple-bound rosette. Unique Mako shark ‘tail’ slotted-headstock with professional Gotoh slotted-headstock machine tuners for precise tuning. Maui deer antler nut and saddle and a high-gloss finish. The lower bout has also been domed to a radius of approximately 25'. Spanish heel construction at the base of the neck.

And the UAS causing pictures ....

2013-Mako-Tenor-01.jpg

2013-Mako-Tenor-02.jpg

2013-Mako-Tenor-03.jpg

2013-Mako-Tenor-04.jpg

Last edited:
Hey cigarfan, I saw these beautiful ukuleles you are selling and it brought back a memory I thought I could come share with everyone here and give a good word.

I thought to mention that a few months back when I bought the old Koahola your name here gave me a slight fear that the ukulele would smell like it came from a smokers home. I was pleased to find all of my fear was unfounded the ukulele in question had no smell of smoke whatsoever. The transaction was painless and fast and I would have no question buying another ukulele from you.

That is all I wanted to say well that and thanks again for a great ukulele. Glad you mentioned you are selling to fuel a new guitar collection.

Good luck
Stay well

~AL~

Wow, that peghead double overlay is wonderful! Lovely instrument all over!

Thanks for the comments guys. This is an unbelievable piece both looks and sound. Pics are nice but it is mesmerizing in person.

any sound sample? It does look excellent. Makes me wonder what your keeping since it must be even better.

I don't have a sound sample and my son currently has my recording equipment.

Right now my John S Kinnard tenor and concert are my players. The Mako isn't getting much play time which is part of the reason I'm selling. These babies need playtime.

any sound sample? It does look excellent. Makes me wonder what your keeping since it must be even better.

My son has my recording equipment or I would whip one up for you.

I am busy with my John S Kinnard tenor and concert. Doesn't leave much time for the Mako and this uke deserves some playing time.

Price reduced for quick sale! $2875 is an incredible price for this one-of-a-kind masterpiece!

I must move this piece. You will never see a Mako in this price range ever again!

Last edited:
Something else to ad to its list of virtues... it is strung through the body rather than tied to the tailpiece. There is no torque of a tailpiece pulling forward on the top, nor does one every worry about it coming unglued.

Hey, someone buy this uke before cigarfan comes to his senses and takes it off the market. A super-great uke at an unbelieveably great price. I don't think you will ever see one at this price again. I'd be all over it if I just hadn't tapped out the fund with my recent purchase. Timing IS EVERYTHING!

A quick word about Dennis: I bought a vintage Martin from him two weeks ago and he is aces to deal with. Honest pricing, exceptional packing and shipping, accurate description. A true pleasure, cigarfan Dennis is. --Steve.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

It is an awesome intstrument. And it needs a good home. Please make me a offer.

I'm interested, and perhaps others are as well, but I've never seen or heard a Mako ukulele. I'm in the San Francisco area. Do you know anyone in my area that has one? I'm hesitant to spend this much money on a ukulele I've never seen, heard or played. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom