Avoiding a sore strumming finger

ngakalden

Reaction score
I binge played my uke 2 days ago for 6 hours and wound up with a very raw index finger, (the soft part from the up-strum).

It was bleeding a little that night, the next day I couldn't touch things. It's better today, but I'm worried about overplaying.

Any advice on how to avoid hurting the soft part of the index finger while playing?

-Joshua

never had the problem but I still sympathize. As a doctor, can tell you to let the skin get back into being intact(about 5-7 days) prior to doing it again with that finger. I am curious if you might be rubbing it on a sharper fret wire on the up strum? That could easily be fixed by any luthier. In the meantime perhaps you can just down strum with your thumb or middle finger?

Last edited:
I tend to play for 4-8 hours many days a week. When I first got my ukulele it was like that every single day.

I now try to take breaks for a few minutes every hour, and I also have developed calluses which help. Now I just get a sore in my wrist and finger joints. Especially with certain chords.

I haven't had any blood come out yet though. I think whenever anything anyone does that causes bleeding it's a sign to take easier from now on.

Hope you are better soon and can get back to playing!

I binge played my uke 2 days ago for 6 hours and wound up with a very raw index finger, (the soft part from the up-strum).

It was bleeding a little that night, the next day I couldn't touch things. It's better today, but I'm worried about overplaying.

Any advice on how to avoid hurting the soft part of the index finger while playing?

-Joshua

Welcome to UU Joshua, your fingers will adapt and toughen up over time. It's a gradual process though and may take a bit of time. It may be better to practice regularly but for shorter periods of time. Give your fingers time to get with the program.

Last edited:
When I was starting to play, I started with 10-15 minutes at a time, 2 or 3 times a day and gradually increased the time I was playing by a few minutes a day for several weeks before I could play at my meetup group for 2 hours or so. Also, beginners sometimes forget how gentle a touch is needed to get a decent sound from the uke and both finger chords and strum harder than is necessary. This too is a cause of unnecessary pain.. It's like exercise. You have to gradually "get in shape" or you will have horribly sore joints and muscles.

Six hours in one day of any physical activity you're not used to can cause pain/injury. I can pretty much guarantee that if you're only used to walking for half an hour a day, then after six hours of walking in one day, your feet are going to be really sore.

I totally agree with PhilUSAFRet. Use a light touch, take it easy and don't try to overextend yourself.

Now is the perfect time to learn to strum with your middle finger and keep the poorly digit out of the way .

Seriously !!

I have the same problem since I have eczema. My doctor recommends Newskin when I get a skin crack so I use that when I need to and it works great. It stings like the dickens though. My friend just uses a pick when she is sore.

Another possibility: I use ultra-thin flat picks (0.38 mm) to strum my nyloid-string 'ukes. Haven't broken any strings yet!

Last edited:
Top Bottom