would you help me choose between some strings?

Icelander53

Reaction score
When I bought my Fremont soloist Low G strings, I also bought to try, Living Waters low g tenor strings and LoPrinzi strings in Low G.

So. I think the only uke that I'm uncertain of whether the current strings are the best choice is my Gretsch Mahogany Tenor.

I know nothing at all about these strings. Which would you try on that
Gretsch and can you tell me something about them? I'd appreciate it.

All of them! You never know until you put them on. Just don't trim them so you can use the other sets elsewhere.

I know nothing about the characteristics of Loprinzi strings as I have never tried them. The Living Waters are on the warmer mellower side of the spectrum. I put them on a koa tenor that was a little too bright and they did a good job of softening the sound. That was on that particular instrument, don't know what it would do to your Gretsch. Other people had said the Living Waters were on the warm side and that is how they worked out for me.

Last edited:
You really need to try various sets to see what you like.

I have a Gretsch Tenor as well and have a Fremont Low G and Savarez Strings. The HT Alliance sets.
However there are literally 50 different types of strings you can try. You just have to try and buy.
Anyone who tells you certain strings are what you should use don't know what they are talking about.
It's all what your ear likes. I have many ukes and many of them have different strings. I track all my strings on each uke in a database since I have spent literally hundreds of hours testing and changing strings to find what I think sounds best for that instrument to me.

Living Waters
Savarez
Southcoast
Oasis
D'Addarios
etc.

All good strings, all work, all give you a different sound on every instrument you put them on.

Good luck.

p.s. there are tons of threads on strings on UU, you can just search and this has been discussed probably 100x over, so there is some good reading with some good info and some very opinionated info. Bottom line is it has to work with your ears.

I have had the Living Waters High G and the Freemont High G on my Flea. The LW are warmer, but I like the overall sound of the Freemonts.

several of my friends love Living waters on their tenors...

I have Worth clears (low G) on an acacia tenor that I love - great sound. And I think we still have what came on my husband's mahogany Gretsch tenor. Aquillas? The instrument has a very sweet sound. I think we are going to try Worth clears (high G) on it next.

I think worth would be good on that Gretsch.

I think I'll try the LW as I'm all about mellow.

I had a LoPrinzi soprano for a few days (had to return it) and felt the LoPrinzi strings were nicely balanced, and good for strumming. Not bad, but nothing exciting either. I have Living Waters on a concert with a Fremont Soloist low G string. The LW are mellower, feel great under my fingers and have a nice sweet tone. I loooove the Living Waters.

Top Bottom