PDA

View Full Version : New KoAlanas

kmac66
05-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Koaloha's Facebook page has a picture of the new KoAlanas.
Including the tenor.

https://www.facebook.com/KoAlohaUkulele

turtledrum
05-06-2015, 01:06 AM
I wonder what this means for the future of the Opio line. I never played a Koalana, but I have an Opio Soprano and love it. Will both lines coexist? What role will each have in the pecking order?

eqt2010
05-06-2015, 02:56 AM
Koalana will be laminate wood. It will be around half price of opio based on what Paul said during NAMM 2015.

sonomajazz
05-06-2015, 04:32 AM
I bought a KoAlana at the factory a couple of months ago and have been able to compare it to the KoAloha soprano and thought it sounded very good. Maybe within 90% of the KoAloha. Don't know where mine was built and I think they have changed their source factory since then...that being said, it's my go to soprano as of today...

coolkayaker1
05-06-2015, 05:26 AM
Koaloha's Facebook page has a picture of the new KoAlanas.

Third time's a charm.

:p

Photojosh
05-06-2015, 05:48 AM
Koalana will be laminate wood. It will be around half price of opio based on what Paul said during NAMM 2015.

This is what I have heard as well. Koalana will be import laminate line, Opio will be solid import line, then there's the standard HI made Koalohas.

stevepetergal
05-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Third time's a charm.

:p

Opposite of what I thought. Strike three!!!

We shall see.

coolkayaker1
05-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Opposite of what I thought. Strike three!!!

We shall see.

Yes, that's another way to see the ongoing introductions of KoAlanas.

The irony us that this time, unlike the last two KoAlana introductions (of something like 2008 and 2012), this time Papa is going to compete with himself twice over in the lower-priced uke market: KoAloha Opio, and his brand new KoAloha pinewood solid (as noted in last week's thread; the one not sold at retailers and that has a 30-day warranty).

One thing for sure: KoAloha is bound and determined to sell inexpensive ukuleles, which is quite the opposite of, say, Kamaka (who won't even sell a "second" or blem)

http://youtu.be/OCmuATH2yzo

soupking
05-06-2015, 04:44 PM
Yes, that's another way to see the ongoing introductions of KoAlanas.

The irony us that this time, unlike the last two, Papa is going to compete with himself twice over in the lower priced uke market: KoAloha Opio, and his brand new KoAloha pinewood solid (as noted in last week's thread).

Doh!

Steve and Steve seem to think that KoAlanas are doomed for failure, so don't anybody buy one… except, there isn't a single example of KoAloha or Papa ever doing anyone any wrong. So, we *could* just sit back and watch them harp back and forth and get their jibes in, but I'll call them on it every single time, like I've done numerous times in the past. And, again, Cool Steve goes and suggests that Papa's making a bad business decision… for what reason? As I see it the KoAloha bunch are a happy and successful lot- so why the negativity? Yes, it's a forum where we all get to opine and lambaste away at our leisure, but at what point do we cry foul? I call it here. Just go and strum on one of your precious vintage Martins, Cool, or kayak somewhere, far away from here. Sorry, but I'm just invoking my right to differ, and with that said: aloha. -- Matt

stevepetergal
05-06-2015, 05:08 PM
Yes, I'm very negative regarding KoAlanas. Funny thing though, this Steve not only owns a KoAloha. He considers it the very best instrument he's ever played. This after playing nearly everything on the market.

soupking
05-06-2015, 05:13 PM
Yes, I'm very negative regarding KoAlanas. Funny thing though, this Steve not only owns a KoAloha. He considers it the very best instrument he's ever played.

Which makes it all the more perplexing… You should sell it off. You don't deserve to own it. The complete opposite of aloha abounds in your KoAlana dismissal; they being a product of KoAloha. Sorry, but it disgusts me when anyone badmouths KoAloha in any way, shape, or form. They don't deserve the negative "publicity." Do you own a KoAlana? -- Matt

coolkayaker1
05-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Which makes it all the more perplexing… You should sell it off. You don't deserve to own it. The complete opposite of aloha abounds in your KoAlana dismissal; they being a product of KoAloha. Sorry, but it disgusts me when anyone badmouths KoAloha in any way, shape, or form. They don't deserve the negative "publicity." Do you own a KoAlana? -- Matt

Matt, as stated in the thread about dust-ups on UU, the moment someone (Matt) invokes the word "you" and starts to judge others (us) rather than ukuleles, and tell others what "they" should do, things can quickly devolve. You have crossed that line and, while it would be easy to take the bait, I'll not. You'll just have to sulk by yourself, sorry.

I do love all my past KoAlohas, and my current slimline tenor. Great Ukulele and company, as you say, Steve.

Many past threads about the KoAlanas of the two prior introductions; for anyone considering a purchase, they may want to search and read them (or the first gen Opio, for that matter). Truly interesting reading, and perhaps past QC issues now resolved. Many UU friends have owned and commented on KoAlanas on those past threads.

Fred, that's interesting that you bought a KoAlana at KoAloha. You certainly have uke experience with many fine brands and models, so I trust your opinion about the percentage compared with The flagship model. If you bought it only a couple months ago, is it not the newest model? As you say, from the latest source factory? Wait, Fred, I just re-read your post and you bought the KoAlana at the factory, maybe you did not mean KoAloha Oahu, but instead the factory in Thailand (?).

coolkayaker1
05-06-2015, 09:27 PM
I wonder what this means for the future of the Opio line. I never played a Koalana, but I have an Opio Soprano and love it. Will both lines coexist? What role will each have in the pecking order? it will be interesting to see the pecking order, especially with the solid pine uke introduction mentioned in a thread from a week ago (sorry, don't know the name of that model, the pine one; I think, someone said it will be made in Hawaii as opposed to the Thailand factory).

Eqt2010, I see your point about the Pricing from the UU NAMM 2015 video. Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh, Steve: Check out the familiar face, drinking coffee and talking to Brian from KoAloha in the background of this video. Peter Hix!

http://youtu.be/ExljK6SpSDk

hawaii 50
05-06-2015, 09:50 PM
the new KoAlana ukuleles are built in Indonesia...Java if not mistaken.....
they had problems with the ones from Thailand a few years ago.........

btw the Opio ukes are built in Thailand in a new humidity controlled building...

gregmchugh
05-07-2015, 03:28 AM
It appears to me that Pops is building the Ao soprano under the Uke SA brand as a personal project separate from Koaloha to see if he can make a lower priced made in Hawaii uke. Clearly this model is very different than the Koaloha models in terms of design and marketing with direct sales from Uke SA. I bought one because I liked the idea of the project and I like what I got. Not something that might appeal to a typical Koaloha customer but targeted at new uke players who want a nice uke at a reasonable price for something handmade by a skilled maker in Hawaii. I notice that he even removed the crown design on the bottom of the fretboard that he had on the prototype. More power to him...

stevepetergal
05-07-2015, 01:35 PM

Yup. I'm a terrible guy. I don't deserve this beautiful instrument. Anybody want to buy a heavily used KoAloha KCM-00 Concert? I'm selling it.

Since this photo, I've switched the tuners for gold Gotoh UPTs with amber buttons.

Photojosh
05-07-2015, 02:11 PM

What a weird attitude to have.

It is perfectly okay for anyone to have a negative opinion of something that another person loves. That's life. I am always suspicious of anyone who tries to shout down other viewpoints for the simple reason that they don't jive with their own opinions. Debate can and should be had on any topic in the world. If you have data or other evidence, bring it to the table. But to say "I love ______ thing and you disgust me because you do not agree" is absolutely not in the spirit of aloha.

While I don't agree myself, there is every possibility in the world that someone might have a legitimate reason to think Koaloha is terrible. Life is a chaotic imperfect place. As they say, s--t happens.

soupking
05-07-2015, 02:51 PM
I thought I explained my weird attitude in that KoAloha "has never done anyone wrong." That was my point. Last time I checked Papa KoAloha wasn't a thing, he's a person. I've never heard a single instance of anyone, ever, getting burned by the wonderful folks at KoAloha. Has anyone? I've been around these parts for five years, and in so far as I know, every single person who has gotten a defective uke has been taken care of more than generously. Seeing as how no one from KoAloha participates here, I took it upon myself to stand up for them. That's a great looking uke, Steve! In my parts busting balls is fun. Sorry for the "you" and "I" statements. My previous retort in the aloha thread was that that particular aspect is pretty much meaningless, at least in my opinion. Rest assured that I'm not sulking alone, too, I had a glorious night last night uking, drinking beers, and bantering back and forth with all these fine gentlemen. Here, outside Philly, the weather has been marvelous. I always get a laugh out of people who dish it, but can't take it. Haha. So, again, point me in the direction to where KoAloha burned someone, and I'll tip my hat. Until then, onward and upward, folks. ;) -- Matthew

kmac66
06-03-2015, 02:53 PM
There is a preview and sound samples of the new Koalanas at The UkuleleReview;

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2015/06/03/the-new-koalana/

sam13
06-03-2015, 03:10 PM
Everyone is entitled t their opinion.

I value Steve's opinion because of his experience of playing so many Ukuleles and sharing his experiences.

Do I balance them with my research and own beliefs? Of course.

But value them, I do.

I am not. Traditional Hawaiian Ukulele kind of guy. But many are and might find this line exciting.

soupking
06-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Everyone is entitled t their opinion.

I value Steve's opinion because of his experience of playing so many Ukuleles and sharing his experiences.

Do I balance them with my research and own beliefs? Of course.

But value them, I do.

I am not. Traditional Hawaiian Ukulele kind of guy. But many are and might find this line exciting.

I agree: everyone is absolutely entitled to their opinion. As a fellow member, I reserve the right to take someone to task over their opinion, however.

I am glad you value Steve's opinion with the many ukuleles he has owned, Simon. :cheers:

Research is a good thing to do, agreed.

Yes, Dr. Seuss, agreed again. Lol

Yes, many want a well made ukulele, and therefore will find this budget line "exciting." And my point was, for all of those people, that they shouldn't refrain from doing so because a guy who has a lot of experience- not with any of the KoAloha budget lines, mind you- with high priced instruments takes issue with an awesome company's present business model. I was happy, previously, to leave well enough alone, but now another retort. Still, it's all good tonight, as it always is when the boxed wine isn't going down like razor blades. Haha -- Matt

Tigeralum2001
06-03-2015, 04:30 PM
I didn't try a 1st gen KoAlana. The 2nd gen made me wonder why anyone would buy a "full" KoAloha. I thought they sounded at least as good, if not better than, a KoAloha at 1/2 the price. However, nearly all of them ended up having problems. Rumor is the problems were related to lack of humidity control at the factory overseas. If they have fixed that with 3rd gen, I think they may, indeed, be cannibalizing their KoAloha sales.

The Okami's are great and they are a blessing to the community, no doubt. I have a ton of respect for the family and KoAloha as a brand. That doesn't mean they haven't had trouble with their product launches. I will defer to them on their business decisions; after all they seem to be doing well. While I think the 2nd gen KoAlanas sounded great and I (personally) would rather a KoAlana than a KoAloha, perhaps I am in the minority. Perhaps others who aspire to a KoAloha, but can't afford one, will buy the KoAlana. Thus, they expand their market, not contract it...

UkerDanno
06-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Yup. I'm a terrible guy. I don't deserve this beautiful instrument. Anybody want to buy a heavily used KoAloha KCM-00 Concert? I'm selling it.

what do you want for it?

UkerDanno
06-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Perhaps others who aspire to a KoAloha, but can't afford one, will buy the KoAlana. Thus, they expand their market, not contract it...

exactly, and when they want to upgrade, what do you think they will go to first?

sam13
06-03-2015, 05:44 PM
I would consider a KoAloha 2nd before a laminate. I like solid wood.

gregmchugh
06-04-2015, 02:18 AM
I have been thinking of getting a laminate tenor to take on trips in our camper van and for less than $200 I will go for one of these. Could get something for less but can't resist the look of the Koaloha design and the sound seems good. Of course I don't recall anything not sounding good when Corey plays it...

stevepetergal
06-04-2015, 03:17 AM
what do you want for it?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

strumsilly
06-04-2015, 03:53 AM
I have been thinking of getting a laminate tenor to take on trips in our camper van and for less than $200 I will go for one of these. Could get something for less but can't resist the look of the Koaloha design and the sound seems good. Of course I don't recall anything not sounding good when Corey plays it...
I bought an Islander [AT-4] for that purpose[Kanilea's laminate import] and am very pleased with it. Would also like to try a Koaloha import, are they available in tenor size yet?

gregmchugh
06-04-2015, 06:08 AM
Yes, I was considering the Islander AT-4 already. so I will need to decide between the two. The wider nut on the Islander is something I have wanted to try out. HMS has indicated that they will be getting the new Koalana's in stock in the next week. They have also indicated that the Opio tenors are coming soon. Check the link in a post above from yesterday for the HMS demo of the new Koalana's with the info on availability.

Icelander53
06-04-2015, 06:34 AM

nor can you buy it because you can't find out the price. :p

ChrisRCovington
06-04-2015, 04:05 PM
I haven't been able to get the wife to agree to letting me buy a real KoAloha. The Thai made ones don't even fit the budget at this point with everything we've got going on. These new laminates might just fit the bill. I really prefer solid wood over laminate but I really want that KoAloha sound. Plus they were really nice to me and sent me an awesome tee-shirt for free! I'm game to try out the KoAlana.

Cheers,
Chris

Luke El U
06-04-2015, 06:54 PM

That's a nasty response. Totally un-UU in spirit.

And for the record, I love my KoAloha tenor and soprano
as well as my KoAlana special box set of a concert and soprano

gregmchugh
06-05-2015, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't read that as a nasty response. "If you have to ask, you can't afford it," is a common quote attributed to J.P. Morgan as his response to someone asking how much his yacht cost. In my experience I hear it all the time when people are referring to the cost of luxury items. Maybe this is simply a common American English phrase that you are not familiar with??

M3Ukulele
06-05-2015, 11:14 AM
KoAlana tenor's now listed on HMS for sale. I'm tempted to sell my Fluke Tenor/pegheds and get one of these. Looks like Grover Tuners and 14 frets to body not 15 like most KoAloha products but sounds pretty good......... a take anywhere ukulele. I think KoAloha is smart - good , better and best with KoAlana (import laminate - 14 fret neck joint) , KoAloha Opio (all solid wood import - 15 fret neck joint) and Hawaiian made KoAloha. Something for everyone!

strumsilly
06-05-2015, 02:13 PM
that's a bit higher than the Islander tenor , Kanilea's import line. I think I got my AT-4 [ very nicely grained, lots of curl acacia laminate].for less than 150, It's my favorite travel uke.

Icelander53
06-06-2015, 12:34 AM
I wouldn't read that as a nasty response. "If you have to ask, you can't afford it," is a common quote attributed to J.P. Morgan as his response to someone asking how much his yacht cost. In my experience I hear it all the time when people are referring to the cost of luxury items. Maybe this is simply a common American English phrase that you are not familiar with??

Taken in context of the thread I would have to ask why he bothered to say that? It could well be a snide remark, or not, I kind of read it that way myself.

Phluffy the Destroyer
06-06-2015, 01:31 AM
I don't know about snide, but it was definitely an un-UUesque comment.

As a senior member stevepetergal should be aware that posters are encouraged to only blow sunshine up peoples backsides and never ever be honest or post a politically incorrect opinion...

Icelander53
06-06-2015, 02:22 AM
Yeah that's what I thought too when I first came here. But I found it impressive. I had just done a 10 year stint in a philosophy, psychology, sociology forums and had clawed my way to mastery there by fighting everyone tooth and nail. I was burnt out. I came here looking for something different and boy did I find it. And while I still like to talk s___ about the meaning of our existence I really like the friendly and conflict avoidance as practiced here (much of the time)

Now having said that and back on topic I'd love it if someone who has played the Koaloha hawaiian made and can compare it to this bargain. I was intrigued when someone seemingly in the know said he liked the laminate as well or better. Such a statement should make anyone's ears perk up. If that ends up being true then I'll get one and forget the Opio or more.

katysax
06-06-2015, 05:43 AM
I haven't heard one of these Koalanas live, but the sound of them in the videos on theukulelesite sounds very unimpressive to me.

sam13
06-06-2015, 06:28 AM
I liked the Tenor KoAlana video with the South Coast Low G example.

If I was looking for a laminate I could consider this Uke. I am enjoying the Mahogany sound again.

Icelander53
06-06-2015, 09:08 AM
I haven't heard one of these Koalanas live, but the sound of them in the videos on theukulelesite sounds very unimpressive to me.

I can never tell that much from the vids at HMS. Almost everything sounds at least good and it can be hard to tell good from great. I'd rather hear from some owners.

Icelander53
06-06-2015, 09:11 AM
Yeah that's what I thought too when I first came here. But I found it impressive. I had just done a 10 year stint in a philosophy, psychology, sociology forums and had clawed my way to mastery there by fighting everyone tooth and nail. I was burnt out. I came here looking for something different and boy did I find it. And while I still like to talk s___ about the meaning of our existence I really like the friendly and conflict avoidance as practiced here (much of the time)

Now having said that and back on topic I'd love it if someone who has played the Koaloha hawaiian made and can compare it to this bargain. I was intrigued when someone seemingly in the know said he liked the laminate as well or better. Such a statement should make anyone's ears perk up. If that ends up being true then I'll get one and forget the Opio or more.

and I wanted to add that it is EXTREMELY difficult for humans to get along in groups. This here forum is the best I've seen anywhere for helpfulness and good will/vibe and support. It's an anomaly caused by a small instrument.

stevepetergal
06-12-2015, 02:06 AM
That's a nasty response. Totally un-UU in spirit.

And for the record, I love my KoAloha tenor and soprano
as well as my KoAlana special box set of a concert and soprano

Sorry I was misunderstood. The saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" is a very old one. Too old for many. It simply means this item is far too valuable to sell, ever, at any price. I didn't intend to be flippant, just silly. When offering to sell my KoAloha, I thought it was obvious I was joking.

stevepetergal
06-12-2015, 02:11 AM
I don't know about snide, but it was definitely an un-UUesque comment.

The post (as well as the phrase) in question was clearly intended as an expression of love and respect for KolAloha. Please read it again.

stevepetergal
06-12-2015, 02:13 AM
As a senior member stevepetergal should be aware that posters are encouraged to only blow sunshine up peoples backsides and never ever be honest or post a politically incorrect opinion...

Thank you. I'll keep this in mind. Thin skins abound.

stevepetergal
06-12-2015, 02:17 AM

What I should have said:

I'm asking ONE BILLION DOLLARS.

Perhaps you can afford it, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

Icelander53
06-12-2015, 02:59 AM
can I make payments?

Uke182
06-12-2015, 06:12 AM
KoAlana tenor's now listed on HMS for sale. I'm tempted to sell my Fluke Tenor/pegheds and get one of these. Looks like Grover Tuners and 14 frets to body not 15 like most KoAloha products but sounds pretty good......... a take anywhere ukulele. I think KoAloha is smart - good , better and best with KoAlana (import laminate - 14 fret neck joint) , KoAloha Opio (all solid wood import - 15 fret neck joint) and Hawaiian made KoAloha. Something for everyone!

Yes, Alan Okami told me that they're calling their entire line a family, so you got it. I got it. I love them all!

Luke El U
06-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Yes, Alan Okami told me that they're calling their entire line a family, so you got it. I got it. I love them all!

Yes, the company's rep from Thailand, Peng, goes into that "family" aspect in his detailed response to some questions I had in order to clarify what's been going on lately. (Note: I have no business affiliation with this company)

"...Then I moved back to Thailand to start the Opio/Rebel factory with KoAloha folks. With their training and machines imported from Hawaii, we did the KoAlana and then later KoAloha Opio (with the humidity control rooms). The factory in Thailand is the only factory that bears KoAloha name because KoAloha folks have so much confidence in us to uphold their standard. Some people don't know that the parts we use on the Opio are the exact same parts being used on KoAloha made in Hawaii. Those parts are CNC neck, TUSQ nut and saddle, fret wire, tuners...

... those parts are coming from the same source as KoAloha gets them. It's the same SKU, same product ID, same cost. So you could actually switch the parts between KoAloha and Opio and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. We have to pay imported taxes to bring those parts to Thailand. The unibrace and other bracings inside Opio are identical to what in KoAloha. The body shape is also identical because we use the body jigs made in Hawaii. The only major difference is the wood and the craftsmen who make them. Opio is made of solid Sapele (African Mahogany) by Thai crew while KoAloha is made of solid Koa by Hawaii crew. That's it! That's why KoAloha offers the same warranty "Better than the weather" on all KoAloha made in Hawaii and Opio made in Thailand. We're like twins. Opio means junior in Hawaiian language in a sense that it's younger not a lesser ukulele.

Now what about KoAlana? KoAloha folks decide to revive the KoAlana line because they want to offer the complete line of Ukulele Family (or Ohana in Hawaiian). Dad plays KoAloha, Mom plays Opio and kids play KoAlana. We could offer quality instruments at different price points.

KoAloha being the highest (~800 USD)
Opio being the mid-range (~400 USD)
KoAlana being the entry-level (~200 USD)

I think that makes sense because not everyone could afford to buy KoAloha. If they have less budget but still want to get the feel and the sound character of KoAloha, maybe they would consider Opio. Some people actually prefer the tone of Opio than the tone of KoAloha. I know lots of people own both of them (I guess you included hahaha). However, if they are beginners or not sure if they will stick with ukulele for long, maybe KoAlana would be the perfect choice.

... KoAlana is now being made in Indonesia. KoAlana is made of laminate Mahoni which is the Mahogany version of local Indonesia wood. While they don't share the same shape or bracing as KoAloha and Opio but they sound very good and come at affordable price. KoAlana would be a good choice if people want to get a laminate uke that they don't have to worry to take it to the beach.

What about that Pine uke called AO ukulele? That one is Papa's side project and it's separate from KoAloha. Papa wants to make quality instruments *made in Hawaii* at an affordable price. You see the key here "made in Hawaii". Because his KoAloha signature ukes (Pineapple Sunday, Sceptre, Jukealele) are selling at much higher price and have already established the name. He wants to offer something that still be made in Hawaii but affordable (~300 USD). Customers would have to buy it directly from the www.Uke-SA.com website since he doesn't have dealers. AO means light of dawn. He described it as a new venture for him. Please check this video out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_oAyhg8Y9o

What about the Rebel? You may ask. The Rebel is doing great! You know that Rebel is our own brand that focuses on custom work (similar to KoAloha custom - red label or black label). We have the flexibility to use our creativity to try different things and explore alternatives. We don't make a whole lot of Rebel but each design are quite unique. Our main dealers in Hawaii are The Ukulele Site (formerly Hawaii Music Supply) and Ukulele Lab . We also have a dealer in Japan (Mahana guitar & ukulele studio). Look out for more unique work from The Rebel ...hahaha. Oh btw, here is the latest video from The Rebel."

https://vimeo.com/130365791

stevepetergal
06-12-2015, 02:44 PM
can I make payments?

Absolutely. And when it's half yours, I'll send it along (shipping included CONUS only, of course).

Thank you, Icelander53 for embracing a bit of frivolity.

Recstar24
06-13-2015, 08:47 AM
How would the koalanas compare to the laminate islander mahogany? HMS has the tenor islander for $138. I've started going to a uke club and my current custom ukes may be a little overkill - I could use a nice laminate but was also loud and punchy enough to cut through all the sound from our group.

strumsilly
06-13-2015, 09:29 AM
How would the koalanas compare to the laminate islander mahogany? HMS has the tenor islander for $138. I've started going to a uke club and my current custom ukes may be a little overkill - I could use a nice laminate but was also loud and punchy enough to cut through all the sound from our group.
I can only compare my Koaloha tenor to the AT-4, which probably sounds very similar to the MT-4. The Koaloha is louder and has more sustain. the tone is bell like. it rings. The Islander had a quieter , woodier tone. it is plenty loud. While plainer than the koaloha and with sharper edges, it has a very nice curl in the grain and for some songs I actually prefer it. I dislike the pin bridge, although it is more attractive than the new ones that Koaloha is using on theirs. What were they thinking??? They went from what is arguably the prettiest bridge out there, to one that looks worse than a $150 import?? but I digress.

UkerDanno
06-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Can't compare to Koalanas, but I've had an Islander MC-4 and now have an AC-4, both sound and play fine! I put Fremont blacklines on both and they seem to be the cats meow...;-D

I've been considering ordering a soprano Koalana just for the heck of it...

oh, and I love the pin bridges! Way easier to change strings than a tie bridge for sure and cleaner looking than slotted.

Recstar24
06-15-2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys. Are there any other quality laminates that I should be considering?

PTOEguy
06-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys. Are there any other quality laminates that I should be considering?

Flea/Fluke - has laminate soundboard and are great fun. If you want laminate for the durability and not the price I've heard great things about Kiwaya.

DownUpDave
06-16-2015, 12:59 AM

Every Islander laminate I have played, maybe 5-6, have sounded decent. I think the Koalana would be the better sounding uke. It will be recognized as a Koaloha because of the crown headstock and logo. Don't know if you are looking to go low profile or kick around durable.

I use to take my Gretsch laminate tenor to all the uke jams. This is another very good sounding all laminate tenor. I noticed lots of other people with Koaloha and Kanilea tenors so said "screw it" and started bringing my Mya Moe. :cool:

Recstar24
06-16-2015, 01:18 AM
Thanks Dave! On the HMS site the koalana sounds much better to my ears, but it's good to hear some live impressions of the islander as well.

kmac66
06-16-2015, 06:34 PM
The Kiwayas get really good reviews. HMS has them.

Recstar24
06-16-2015, 06:53 PM
No tenor size :( it's ok, I think I'm going to spring for a koalana

Recstar24
06-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Riptide UT5NS: has a side sound port so you can hear yourself in a crowd. I was expecting it to sound average, but was surprised (especially after putting on fluorocarbon strings). Mine is actually the EUT5NS (A/E version).

Nice rec! Someone in my uke club has a riptide and mentioned the side port was really helpful in a club setting.

Uke182
06-17-2015, 06:17 AM

I really like Ohana's and the price is great.

Recstar24
06-17-2015, 01:07 PM
So I ended up just getting a mainland tenor cedar lol.

Pippin
07-09-2015, 12:10 AM
I wonder what this means for the future of the Opio line. I never played a Koalana, but I have an Opio Soprano and love it. Will both lines coexist? What role will each have in the pecking order?

Both lines will exist. There is plenty of room for both. I will soon be placing a video review of one of the new KoAlana tenors online. I am just stretching the strings and plan to put the review up some time this coming weekend. Right now, it is July 9, 2015. I'll post a link when the video is on YouTube.

Pippin
07-09-2015, 12:11 AM

Uke Republic has a few, evidently. Mike is selling them at $225.

Icelander53
07-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Got the tenor and it's frickin amazing IMO. I can't get over this wonderful instrument. OMG! I'm so glad that I got advice from Andrew and one advocate here to get in on this.

Pippin
07-09-2015, 12:35 AM
I don't honestly know how many ukuleles I have reviewed, how many I have actually owned (since the early 1960s), and how many I have played. Paul Okami sent me a new KoAlana to review and that will be done in the next couple of days.

Here is a brief overview: well-built uke. The laminate is high-quality. The fretboard and bridge are solid rosewood. The craftsmanship appears fine. The Grover tuners are excellent and lightweight.

Why Laminate? Because, laminate bodied ukes are very stable when it comes to withstanding fluctuations in temperature and differences in altitude. If you play guitar at high elevation (like the Rocky Mountains), you will appreciate that. Cold winter weather and other changes in humidity will be less likely to damage the uke since glue is far stronger than the wood used in the building of the instrument. The body will handle it much better than the neck. On these, the neck is excellent if my sample is a typical specimen, and I believe it is.

The Opio line is solid wood and meant to fill the gap between KoAloha's premium-priced instruments and the laminate ukes. You can look for all three lines to peacefully coexist. They are all valid entries in the product line.

If there are any issues with the KoAlana line, the company will make it right. The warranty is not as long as their other lines for obvious reasons. But, the Okami family stands behind everything they do.

Pippin
07-12-2015, 04:23 AM
I'll be posting the review later today.

Uke182
07-13-2015, 06:20 AM
I'll be posting the review later today.

EXCELLENT review Mickey! Great job KoAloha ohana!

M3Ukulele
07-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Sorry, don't mean to be THICK but I can't find the review on KoAlana. I clicked both links for Pippin and went to review section of UU ... can you direct me! <g>
Thanks

I have a Opio Tenor arriving in a few days so will post my comments and do a review on that in a week or so.

Uke182
07-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Sorry, don't mean to be THICK but I can't find the review on KoAlana. I clicked both links for Pippin and went to review section of UU ... can you direct me! <g>
Thanks

I have a Opio Tenor arriving in a few days so will post my comments and do a review on that in a week or so.

Here you go.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59nEnLYrs2E&list=UU34tRYz5FSnlKf2HX_DB2yA

caver3d
07-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Mickey's review is SPOT ON! I just received my KoAlana KTA-0010 (KoAloha) Tenor from Ukulele Lab (Hawaii) today! And I have to tell you that it is sweet. Perfect condition, excellent workmanship, and looks great. Thanks, Isaac. And plays really well - I'm happy. I'm the proud owner of two Koaloha (Koa) Tenors, so I wanted a uke I could feel less paranoid about (and take anywhwere). All my other ukes are solid wood, but I have to say that this laminate Koalana is impressive and a bargain. It's changed my opinion of laminates. It's a low risk purchase. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

M3Ukulele
07-13-2015, 02:35 PM
Excellent review. Thank you for the help!

Xtradust
07-15-2015, 05:45 AM
I tried a Koalana soprano at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach the other day and it was wonderful! Maybe it was a special one, but I don't know that I've played a new uke I've liked so much in a long time. (I have plenty of Kamakas, etc.) I think they were asking $136. I went back the next day to check it out again and it was gone.

I hope Koaloha starts five new lines of ukes. We all love ukuleles here and the more the better! Some I'll buy, some I won't, but I don't want to go to the LMS only to see ten more slot-head, cedar top, Kalas. I know they're popular, but I've been there and done that.

igorthebarbarian
07-15-2015, 05:47 PM
As someone who wants laminates, I guess I should add these to my future list.

keeponukin
07-21-2015, 01:50 AM
Can any Koalana laminate concert owners provide a couple of string spacing measurements? I'm looking for the distance between the g and a strings at the nut and at the saddle.

Also, could you comment on how thick or thin the neck feels (i.e - thickness from top of fretboard to back of neck)?
Thanks.

Reichpapers
02-04-2016, 05:08 PM
I still have my 2nd run KoAlana Concert and Soprano. They never cracked. Lucky I guess.