Palm mutes the 'A' string

jonbrenner

Reaction score
I recently bought my first Pono (PCO) and found that the meat of the palm on my fingering hand mutes the 'A' string. The clearance between the string and the edge of the fingerboard is 1/8". Is this typical? Is there something that I'm doing wrong technically?

Last edited:
the palm of your fingering hand?

Correct. I just edited the post to make that clear. I'm thinking I just have fat hands. :eek:

Think classical guitarist and 'stand up' your fingers a bit more so you're only playing with the fingertips, or go 'smooth knowledgeable player' and grab you chords with the hand under a slight angle towards the head of the neck. That way there is no extra meat dragging on those strings :)
Another way may be to use one finger for multiple strings that are on the same fret (barre), a good example would be the D-chord which can be played with three fingers, but barring GCE-strings with one finger will have you worry about less meaty fingers to place correctly.

UkeNinja is onto something. Your hand position is off. By experimentation, you can reposition your hand and find what works by trial and error. Look at other players and compare your hand position to theirs. It might help.

PCO bro

Hey JB,

I stumbled across this post by accident, so i'm not really here to comment on the muting - looks like that's well-covered.

I am, however, here to say i've also got a Pono (PCO).
It's my first 'ukulele - it was gift given to me in June of '08.
Awesome instrument in my eyes (and ears)!

I've got aquila nylgut strings on it now (good and bright), but I am about to change to Ko'olau Gold (maybe a bit mellower?). What strings do you have?

Top Bottom