Build quality for Maurice DuPont ukuleles.

ozmini

Reaction score
O.K. The wife and I landed in Paris today and I bee lined it to the salon of M.Dupont. The sales person showed me a BEAUTIFUl Ukulele that had just been completed. Brazilian Rosewood back and sides with a Spruce top. Sounded sweet!
My question is whether anyone had experiences good or bad with his build quality. Also, being from the U.S., will there be a problem bringing it back home to Northern California as far as humidity goes?
The Euro is down so it would be a good time to buy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated....
image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
I played gypsy jazz guitar for years and Maurice Dupont is revered amongst Django-style players. I have never tried his ukes, but his guitars are considered top of the line.

I doubt you'll have any issues between Paris and Northern CA in terms of climate. They're more similar than they are different.

I envy you-- I'd love to try one!

looks nice.....
watch out when you bring it back to USA..i hear Europe pretty strick when you have Brazilian Rosewood.....if anyone ask do not say it is B/R...just carry on to the plane I would not ask any questions at the airport....

good luck and have fun with the uke....if you have the correct paperwork it would make things safer.....

my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Price? (just curious) It's got an unusual look to it. I'd like to hear it play. Reminds me a little of a Godin.

Did you get the chance to play it? I always wondered about them, having heard good things.

Did you get the chance to play it? I always wondered about them, having heard good things.

Unfortunately we arrived 10 minutes before closing so I only had time for some strumming. There was another Selmer style (Koa?) that I also tried and my wife said the Spruce one sounded much nicer and I would have to agree. Today is a bank holiday so I will go back tomorrow for some quality time and make a decision then.

Dupont doesn't use Brazilian Rosewood in its ukuleles - the bridge is the only rosewood part, and is Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia Sissoo) which is only on CITES-restrictions in its raw state, not in finished products. The tortoiseshell binding on the more expensive models isn't actually made from animals, but a realistic looking plastic (celluloid nitrate). In any case, a small instrument taken as a carry-on would not attract much attention.

As for the build quality, Bertrand Saint-Guillain of ukulele.fr seemed very pleased with this one (the hyper guy with the beard is Aël, Bertrand is at the very end of the video and does no talking, only playing:

Last edited:
It can be a sign of great quality that only recently one was put up for for second-hand sale in France, with a small demonstration:

Last edited:
Interesting. My wife and I will spend several days in Paris in September. Now I have a destination to add to the itinerary.��

Dupont doesn't use Brazilian Rosewood in its ukuleles - the bridge is the only rosewood part, and is Indian Rosewood (Dalbergia Sissoo) which is only on CITES-restrictions in its raw state, not in finished products. The tortoiseshell binding on the more expensive models isn't actual made from animals, but a realistic looking plastic (celluloid nitrate). In any case, a small instrument taken as a carry-on would not attract much attention.

As for the build quality, Bertrand Saint-Ghuillain of ukulele.fr seemed very pleased with this one (the hyper guy with the beard is Aël, Bertrand is at the very end of the video and does no talking, only playing: [/QUOT

I guess the OP must have wrong info as he says the salesman said the uke is made of Brazilian Rosewood.....hope he gets things straight..i agree just carry the uke onto the plane and ask no questions.....and best to just say the wood is Rosewood if anyone ask......

I would like to hear more comments after you've played it more. They looks excellent and the sound samples are pretty nice. I prefer the spruce top and you can get the basic satin model at a inexpensive price. Be curious in your comments on fit an finish - bindings etc. Also, appears to be 12 fret to body so curious how you think it plays and upper fret access. Good luck... I'm sure if I was there and playing them...... I'd come home with one! <g>
Look forward to future comments. Looking for reviews on You Tube now.
Cheers

I looked at his site before, pretty work. None of the listed retailers on his site seemed to show any ukuleles as being available though some had guitars (also language problems on a number of them - mainly in Europe). Can you tell me if he uses radiuses fretboards? Happy shopping.

Unfortunately we arrived 10 minutes before closing so I only had time for some strumming. There was another Selmer style (Koa?) that I also tried and my wife said the Spruce one sounded much nicer and I would have to agree. Today is a bank holiday so I will go back tomorrow for some quality time and make a decision then.

How did it go? Did you buy a Dupont? We will be in Paris on September. Planning to take a look at Dupont's offerings.

Can you tell me if he uses radiuses fretboards?

Normally not - selmac guitars all had flat fretboards. He could build you one with a radius, but his workshop's not in Paris itself but in Cognac. He does radiused fretboards on his dreadnought and electric guitars.

How did it go? Did you buy a Dupont? We will be in Paris on September. Planning to take a look at Dupont's offerings.

Yes! I bought it am very happy I did! It looks and sounds beautiful....I'll post some photos soon....&#55357;&#56846;

Top Bottom