Adding harmony - how?

fisher00

Reaction score
Hi. I've found a nice melody tab for 'dream a little dream of me', and I'd like to understand how to enhance the tune by adding harmony, which I assume is that some chords will work and some wont. What do I need to learn to understand how to add harmony to melody?
cheers

You made me think of this video.

No, there is no chord progression on the tab. The answer is probably in that video but I need to study it a bit more to find it! The tab starts (E) 5 4 5 4 2 5 4 5 4 5 4 2 (A) 1 4 1 (E) 4 2

Is the theory that I need to find chords that has those notes as the highest notes?

cheers

1. Buy a ukulele.
2. __________
3. Profit!

What song are you trying to learn?

You have the melody now you need a chord sheet. Then you need to find chord inversions that are close to the melody that sound well. This is what Pete teaches. The highest note is always the melody note. He also stresses the fact the reentrant g (4th string standard) is very close to the A (1st string standard).

fisher00 said:
The tab starts (E) 5 4 5 4 2 5 4 5 4 5 4 2 (A) 1 4 1 (E) 4 2

In my limited knowledge lets say the song starts with an Em its pretty simple to play the first 12 notes in the melody you show over this. I would expect a chord change before the notes on the a string or a different starting chord. Something more like this.

5 4 5 4 2 5 4 5 4 5 4 2
3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Good luck hope it helps

Last edited:
To do the harmony... you need to know the key/chord progression.
If you don't have it, and can't analyze the melody in your head to get it, you're stuck.

Your's is starting in D. Most of the ones you're going to find are in C because the song was originally done in C. You might consider starting in C instead. Maybe something like this:

Or.. I guess if you want to stick to D, you can move all the chords up a step from the ones given.

I'd suggest learning the chorded version first, and then adding or pulling out the melody line from the chords, as it might be easier than the other way... at least it's easier for me. My problem with going from melody and adding chord, is that you're looking at the melody notes, without the rest of the structure.

Like.. I'd start with a barred D because the original started in a major chord, and that leaves my ring and middle free to get the next melody bits while still holding the treble part of the d

But like.. Ink started with an Em, and then adds the melody on the A string with the pinky. That will work fine as long as anyone you're playing with is also in minor or if you're singing the melody. But the original was in major and if your other players aren't using the same progression you can sound off as a group.

This is actually a hard song to start thinking about this stuff..... Just saying. For learning to do it, you might want to start with something simpler.

Last edited:
"Dream a Little Dream of Me" has a lot of chord changes. As spookelele said, you might want to start with something simpler. Here's a link to the chords in C:
https://ukutabs.com/t/the-mamas-and-the-papas/dream-a-little-dream-of-me/

To play in D, transpose up a full step.

I've played a chord melody version of this song in C, starting with a C chord using the B-flat shape, then going to a barred B7 and picking some individual notes within the chords.

I love Dream a Little Dream. I do it in D, sounds better than C to me. It took a little learning, but it's one of the most enjoyable songs I know. Good for practicing barre chords!
However, Mama Cass would probably slap me for singing it if she could.....

Good luck here is a version on youtube found searching ukulele instrumentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFOiMDVvof0

I learn a lot from watching others.

that's great! thanks for your help everyone. I can strum it in C ok but the goal is to have a nice fingerstyle version. I've only ever searched 'ukuele fingerstyle' or 'tab' - have never searched 'instrumental' YET. Learn something new everyday - thanks Al. Seems so obvious now.

Thanks spookelele - I did find that video yesterday and will look at it more closely - and I'll give the barred D a go. Gary52 - something else to ponder. thanks.

I hear ya Nickie - I can't sing for peanuts - hence me wanting something instrumental.

cheers again

Top Bottom