Kala ukuleles made in Indonesia?

DebEB

Reaction score
I have recently started learning the ukulele and spent ages on the internet researching the 'best buys' for beginners. I decided to go to a recommended local store rather than buy from the internet. I treated myself, paid rather more than I had planned and opted for a Kala KA-SRS. I liked the sound and the look of it (based on no experience whatsoever).

I have a slight 'pricking in my thumbs' about it, though. After playing for a while something sounded a bit 'off', the store replaced the strings and it does sound better. I have to wonder why I needed new strings after only a few weeks. However, a couple of things still niggle me. The finish looks as though it has been hanging on the shop wall for rather a long time and there seems to be a small worn patch which I didn't notice when I bought it. Finally, there is a sticker on the back of the headstock saying 'Made in Indonesia'. I thought Kala were made in China and I can find no mention of any being made in Indonesia.

Is it just me being fussy or have I been sold a pup?

I've just bought a guilele from Omega the Kala KA-KOA-GL, lovely job , satin finish and ticketed Aquila strings (tho' there are some don't like the old eagles).

I have a Kala banjo uke which is made in China. so it looks like they have farmed some stuff out to Indonesia and some in China.

I also have an Adam Black acoustic electro guitar built in Indonesia , cracking good unit .

Why pricketh thine thumbs ?

"After playing for a while something sounded a bit 'off', the store replaced the strings and it does sound better. I have to wonder why I needed new strings after only a few weeks."

Because strings are like that , and sometimes they only put the very basic level of string on .

Are you worried it may be a knock off ? Does it have a serial number on the label inside the sound hole ?

If you are not entirely happy take it back .Where from purchased you ?

Is Foxes still open in Victoria Centre ? (Off Topic ,but I'm curious)

Last edited:
Was it setuo properly? Always a good question to ask a store owner. If they said it was done by the factory; more than likely it's the setup. I agree, if not happy take it back.

Thanks for the reply CeeJay and Patrick,

Yes, there is a serial number on the label and I have 'registered' it with Kala. It's probably just me but I felt there wasn't something quite right about it. Was going to beginners' lessons and the teacher wasn't much impressed with it either which prompted me to go back to the shop. I was told when I bought it that it had D'addario strings (I managed to break one).

Assured by the shop that all is well, they did change the strings (to Aquila) for ' nowt' ;-) and didn't charge me at all. They told me that not all are made in China and some Kala are made in Indonesia. I can't find any information on the web and I've had a good hunt. I don't mind where it's made but I would just like some confirmation that it isn't a knock off.

I know it makes sense to go back to the shop but I've had it for four months now and ...

As for Fox's, it has some other name over the door (Musicroom from the look of it on Google) but still there in the Vic Centre. They don't have a huge selection of ukes, though.

Last edited:
Ah , rayt , well mi duck, at least it's still theyre and it has been for ever ....I used to hang my nose over the Hammond organs in there back in the 70's on my lunch break when I worked in Dixons down at the Nottingham Road entrance ...opposite Lewis.....happy days ...moved on to better things dahn sarf and then further oop north and have fond memories of Victoria Centre ...and Nottingham....

There are lots of nice instruments coming from Indonesia these days. As long as the QC is good, problems can be easily resolved and companies get production up to speed quickly. Samick is the world's largest manufacturer of guitars (in total numbers) and they have been in Indonesia for years.

Thanks, Pippin. I don't mind where it's made as long as it's meant to be made wherever. If you see what I mean. Still don't know if some Kala are made in Indonesia. I might email them and ask.
Best wishes

Thanks, Bill. No, i'm not shocked at all. Why would I be? As I've said a couple of times on this thread, I don't mind where its made but I thought Kala sourced from China and could find no mention of Indonesia. I do remember how beautiful Indonesia is, have been that way a couple of times myself.

Thanks, Pippin. I don't mind where it's made as long as it's meant to be made wherever. If you see what I mean. Still don't know if some Kala are made in Indonesia. I might email them and ask.
Best wishes

Hi Deb. I have a Kala concert Kala EBY-C. And yes, some of Kala's models are made in Indonesia. This is from "the horses mouth" almost: Andrew Kitakis at HMS. I spoke with him via email before I purchased mine. It is an absolute ripper and I love it. You have nothing to worry about!

Find yourself a uke player and let them listen and help you evaluate what you have. The problem with being a beginner in this situation is that if you are anything like me you imagine things that are not there because you don't understand what you have yet.

Another Nottinghamian here, though been moving around for a while. Apart from Kala ukes, a lot of guitars are made in Indonesia too. My favourite Squier Tele Custom II is Indonesian made and it's great!

Thanks, All.
I emailed Kala and had a very quick response from them. They confirmed that the KA-SRS is made in Indonesia.
D

Top Bottom