NUD - Hive Hornet Adirondack Spruce / Flamed Maple Tenor

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Yesterday my new Hive Hornet Adirondack spruce top / flamed maple body tenor arrived from the wonderful folks at HMS. It is every bit as stunning in person as the photos on The Ukulele Site and The Ukulele Review showed. The sound is really special. The playability is superb.

I've wanted to commit to learning some Low G-specific songs, so I'll leave this one set up Low G for the time being. I'm starting with "Still Can't Say Goodbye" by Chet Atkins (the song Corey played in his demo video).

The Armitage case is really something else. It weighs about 9 lbs (seriously) and is very luxuriously padded and finished. Best feature is the large storage department has screened outlets to let moisture from the humidifier more easily circulate in the case. Still, I tend to prefer Mono Gig bags and will have to see if the Hornet, with its wider bout, will fit in one.

Since "it didn't happen without photos", here is a link to my Flickr album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskb6Fo6v.

a>

Now, back to adoring this special uke!

Have a great day!!

Last edited:
WOW! That looks and sounds AMAZING!!! :drool:

Congrats on the new baby!

Very pretty. I've always liked the quilted maple resonators from Mya-Moe. Never have seen an acoustic one with it though. Fantastic tone.

Outstanding instrument Eddie. I love the maple used...............and everything else about it, congratulations

Wow. This Uke is really wonderful. The tone is lovely, and Jake makes fabulous instruments. Congratulations with another splendid purchase ... you have some wonderful instruments.

Beautiful! Enjoy it Eddie.

Eddie I know your wife wants you to limit the number of ukes. Which one are you going to get rid of. Are you still enjoying the Collings Doghair?

Last edited:
Thanks, All!

@katysax, I've wiggled my way up to 3 with a fourth in site. ;-) I'll be selling a new Ken Timms I bought on a whim. It probably has literally 15 minutes play time on it. Lovely, just too loud for me and I it won't be played with everything I have now. And, yes, I still love the Doghair UT2. It's a very nice complement to the Hive. One black, one light, one re-entrant, one linear, etc. ;-)

Nice Eddie...congrats...Jake's ukes have great tone...and the builds are perfect...

Hey Eddie ... what strings are on this ... I am looking to change up a few pairs and thought these sounded great (but almost anything would sound awesome on this uke) ... thanks.

Simon

Congratulations, Eddie! From what I could tell from the sound samples, your Hive is among the best I've ever heard. Looking forward to read more about your Kinnard Soprano as well...

Congraz on a new addition member to your collection.

Congrats, Eddie! A more beautiful looking and sounding uke couldn't have gone to a nicer guy.

Wow, simply tasty....congratulations, Eddie.....

Hey Eddie ... what strings are on this ... I am looking to change up a few pairs and thought these sounded great (but almost anything would sound awesome on this uke) ... thanks.

Simon

I actually had to contact Jake because I didn't know. He informed me It came with Oasis "bright" Low G. I quite like them on this uke!

I actually had to contact Jake because I didn't know. He informed me It came with Oasis "bright" Low G. I quite like them on this uke!

Interesting. That is about the warmest (and best) sounding ukulele I have ever heard. Maybe I don't fully understand the term 'bright'. Incredible ukulele by the way. Thanks for posting the pics.

Top Bottom