Season 169 of the Ukulele: Party For The Rest Of The Night

Shady Wilbury

Reaction score
Aloha, my friends, and welcome to Season 169 of the Ukulele!

Your mission, as explained by Linda better than I ever could, it seems! ;)

2 songs max of anything Warren Zevon, Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles.

Bonus vids are songs by anyone that played on Warren Zevon's album "The Wind".
Bob Dylan
Dwight Yoakam
Bruce Springsteen
John Waite
T-Bone Burnett
Billy Bob Thornton
Tom Petty
Emmylou Harris
and more.

Assignment is to spread the love through comments and send you a PM of our 3 top favs.

Usual rules apply:

• The Season starts at 11:01am BST (12:01am Hawa'ii time) on Sunday 10th of May, and ends at 12:00pm BST on Monday 18th May.
  • Multitracking permitted
  • Collaboration encouraged - if there's a Seasonista you've always wanted to work with, make it happen this week.
  • Comment on one another's videos as much as possible
  • A prize will be awarded to randomly drawn entrants, from participants' PM'ed top 3.
  • Please tag your entries 'Season 169', so that the playlist is automatically updated.

Wendy has alerted me to issues with Eagles songs on YouTube - see below.

I do want to warn folks that the Eagles are notorious for taking down and copyright striking YouTube videos. I had heard this, and researched it thoroughly before doing "Take It to the Limit". Ultimately I decided to start a whole new and completely disconnected (separate email address, etc) Vimeo channel ... basically just for Eagles covers.

If you care at all about maintaining your YouTube presence, I strongly caution you to keep Eagles covers off of there.

If you get three copyright strikes (not 3rd-party content notifications - those are okay), you will lose all your YouTube channels, not just the one with the strikes. I read this on YouTube's own policies as well as on other people's musings.

Have fun, be safe.
Hope you enjoy yourselves this week.

Entries
Bonuses
Eagles tunes (Vimeo)

Last edited:
Sounds great!! Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday, dear friend! Let's get this party started!

I love all these artists ... no idea how to pick just two! But we'll have some fun.

I did this one last week ... it's a waltz. (So, not an entry, of course ... and the Season doesn't start for 12 more hours.) More of a preview and a cautionary tale.

I do want to warn folks that the Eagles are notorious for taking down and copyright striking YouTube videos. I had heard this, and researched it thoroughly before doing "Take It to the Limit". Ultimately I decided to start a whole new and completely disconnected (separate email address, etc) Vimeo channel ... basically just for Eagles covers.

If you care at all about maintaining your YouTube presence, I strongly caution you to keep Eagles covers off of there.

If you get three copyright strikes (not 3rd-party content notifications - those are okay), you will lose all your YouTube channels, not just the one with the strikes. I read this on YouTube's own policies as well as on other people's musings. I read a lot about this last week in deciding what to do.

I do love the Eagles, and didn't want to give up doing the song altogether ... so this was the solution I came up with.

Have fun, be safe.

Hi Casey, To be clear we are doing

2 songs max of anything Warren Zevon, Jackson Brown, Linda Ronstadt and the Eagles.

Bonus vids are songs by anyone that played on Warren Zevon's album "The Wind".
Bob Dylan
Dwight Yoakam
Bruce Springsteen
John Waite
T-Bone Burnett
Billy Bob Thornton
Tom Petty
Emmylou Harris
and more.

Assignment is to spread the love through comments and send you a PM of our 3 top favs.

Cool theme! This should be a great season of great music. Thanks Casey (ShadyWilbury) for the week :)

Heres an early "Happy Birthday" present!

Last edited:
Happy birthday, dear friend! Let's get this party started!

I love all these artists ... no idea how to pick just two! But we'll have some fun.

I did this one last week ... it's a waltz. (So, not an entry, of course ... and the Season doesn't start for 12 more hours.) More of a preview and a cautionary tale.

If you get three copyright strikes (not 3rd-party content notifications - those are okay), you will lose all your YouTube channels, not just the one with the strikes. I read this on YouTube's own policies as well as on other people's musings. I read a lot about this last week in deciding what to do.

I do love the Eagles, and didn't want to give up doing the song altogether ... so this was the solution I came up with.

Have fun, be safe.

I have heard about this, regarding The Eagles... But I figured if we leave the band name and song titles off the video title line....and keep the video unlisted, that the risk would be minimal. I'll avoid their songs, altogether...even though they are one of my fave bands.

Last edited:
Thanks, Linda!

Really appreciate your taking the time to clarify the initial mess of a brief. This week's going to be a voyage of discovery for me with regard to Ronstadt - I'm least familiar with her work, of all four of the main artists.

I love my early birthday gift!

Casey

I have heard about this, regarding The Eagles... But I figured if we leave the band name and song titles off the video title line....and keep the video unlisted, that the risk would be minimal.

Oh, thanks for the reminder, Debby ... I should have mentioned that.

Sadly, that is not at all true. Third party content is discovered by actual content matching ... some software actually basically "listens" to the chords, tune, and/or lyrics of your video and can actually figure out what the song is. So no, changing or leaving off the title and artist do not make much if any difference to your chances of discovery.

In my research I YouTube searched for "Eagles covers", and there are plenty, many of them that have been there for years, openly displaying title and artist ... well-known Eagles songs. And yet, there are also tons of reports of people's videos being taken down when they did everything possible to hide that information. So no, hiding that info doesn't necessarily help. Plus it makes it awfully hard for fellow Seasonistas to know what you've done. :)

Some videos are taken down, some are left alone, still others are suddenly taken down (or muted - the sound turned off ... or copyright struck) after being up for years.

There's no guarantee anything bad will happen if you post an Eagles cover on YouTube, but there is a far higher likelihood of it than from other covers. High enough that I chose not to chance it there ... but Vimeo, for the moment at least, seems to be safe.

I have heard about this, regarding The Eagles... But I figured if we leave the band name and song titles off the video title line....and keep the video unlisted, that the risk would be minimal. I'll avoid their songs, altogether...even though they are one of my fave bands.

Leaving it unlisted might help but leaving off the band name or the song title doesn't work as they use something similar to web crawlers to check the actual content of the video.

Much as I like the Eagles music, I shall also be avoiding them this week.

Happy Birthday, Shady, and what a great theme! I've been watching the videos of WZ on the David Letterman show(s). What a great friendship they had. Personal story: About 20 years ago, I went to a book-signing by the gonzo Florida-based mystery/thriller/comedy? writer Carl Hiaassen, who wrote a song or two with WZ. Someone asked him how that all happened, and he said he had dropped a reference to "Werewolves of London" in one of his early novels and Zevon called him out of the blue, said he was a fan, and a friendship/professional collaboration sprang from that.

SOOOO glad for this theme, and hope we do well for you!

Oh, thanks for the reminder, Debby ... I should have mentioned that.

Sadly, that is not at all true....

Looks like we had the same idea at about the same time.

I'm not sure about your Vimeo solution. It may be safer because Vimeo is smaller than YT but they still have policies for dealing with copyright which is worth checking out. I don't think they are as rigid as YT though. I looked into their policies and thought they seemed a bit better than YT but I didn't sign up though I might yet as I want to post a duplicate (sort of ) of one of my YT videos.

It must be said, saith The Dude

But Zevon - well, I have a number all picked out. Happy birthday, Casey!

Looks like we had the same idea at about the same time.

I'm not sure about your Vimeo solution. It may be safer because Vimeo is smaller than YT but they still have policies for dealing with copyright which is worth checking out. I don't think they are as rigid as YT though. I looked into their policies and thought they seemed a bit better than YT but I didn't sign up though I might yet as I want to post a duplicate (sort of ) of one of my YT videos.

I don't think YT is the culprit ... it's the artists / copyright holders themselves and their machinery (like the Eagles) who go after the videos ... and they go after them on YouTube because YouTube is far bigger than any other video hosting service.

If anything, I think YouTube has gone way past any reasonable point of allowing all sorts of copyright-violating and questionable material on their site. It is their policy to just host, and not police your content. They only ever participate in suppressing content when someone else, like an artist or other copyright holder, complains ... and threatens the existence or finances of YouTube itself. When they (YouTube) do suppress content, they do it so that they won't get shut down themselves. If they themselves were concerned with your content, 90% of what's currently on YouTube wouldn't be there.

By the way, virtually all our cover videos are copyright violations. I learned this in my research last week.

I for one am grateful to YouTube and the artists out there who don't police content for letting us have our fun in spite of that.

I chose Vimeo because:

1) So far the artists who have been going after content on YouTube don't seem to be bothering the smaller sites. So far. That could change at any time, but for now it seems fairly safe.

2) It is a completely separate company from YouTube / Google, and I was able to set it up under an email address I have never connected to anything Google.

3) If the Eagles do ever bother to go after my itty-bitty Vimeo channel, all I will lose is a couple of Eagles covers, and a few comments and views. My much more extensive YouTube presence won't be impacted by it if they do.

Re unlisted, Debby, I wondered about that, and couldn't find any info anywhere. In the end, I didn't want to taint my YouTube channel with Eagles in any form, so I didn't chance it.

I just don't know enough about copyright laws. I always just assumed that as long as someone isn't making money, or claiming someone else's work as their own, that it was OK to cover songs as long as you gave credit where credit is due. I guess I was a little naive in thinking that.

Too bad the Eagles are such jerks about this, but then from what I've heard they tend to be jerks about a lot of things. I think I've found a few Zevon and Ronstadt songs I can practice, though.

Part of the issue here is the "fair use" exemption in U.S. (if not international) copyright law. There's a somewhat bright line for fair use when you're involving only the printed word: It's OK to quote a passage of roughly 200 words or less without paying any royalty, so long as you give attribution to the creator of the material. I'm much less familiar with how much is allowed for recordings of music or other performances, particularly when the person posting the video has no expectation of asking for or receiving any money for viewing the performance (as with the Seasons videos).

For instance, if someone took a video of a person performing karaoke and posted it on YouTube, is that a copyright violation? Beats me.

I thought this was useful from the copywrite.gov website. Purpose and character of the use, including whether the use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes: Courts look at how the party claiming fair use is using the copyrighted work, and are more likely to find that nonprofit educational and noncommercial uses are fair. This does not mean, however, that all nonprofit education and noncommercial uses are fair and all commercial uses are not fair; instead, courts will balance the purpose and character of the use against the other factors below. Additionally, “transformative” uses are more likely to be considered fair. Transformative uses are those that add something new, with a further purpose or different character, and do not substitute for the original use of the work.

I always in my vids say there is no claim of ownership, leave my vids without ads(unless requested by the owner), and state that it is for educational purposes. I will start saying it is tranformative as I often have to change the arrangement of the song to cut out boring bits and solos. Not that it will help if there is a strike on my account at youtube.

How would someone know if it is allowed? You never can tell. From the website: In addition to the above, other factors may also be considered by a court in weighing a fair use question, depending upon the circumstances. Courts evaluate fair use claims on a case-by-case basis, and the outcome of any given case depends on a fact-specific inquiry. This means that there is no formula to ensure that a predetermined percentage or amount of a work—or specific number of words, lines, pages, copies—may be used without permission.

I do know that the fair use paragraph that some people quote on the page for every video they post is meaningless, and makes no difference whatsoever in shielding you from the handful of artists that don't allow their songs to be covered.

Top Bottom