"pretty" song suggestions

dirtiestkidever

Reaction score
The majority of what I play is from Ukulelezaza's books, Aaron Keim's books, or Eugene's videos. All great sources for great songs. But they all tend to be on the jangly end of ukulele songs. I kind of prefer the jangly stuff but I want some balance so I am looking for some more pretty songs to play.

I am looking for tab for some 'pretty' and 'pleasant' fingerpicking songs (for lack of a better word). The problem is most of the 'pretty' songs are for low G and I only have reentrant ukes these days and I don't want to mess with the nuts to accommodate a wider string.

This is one of my favorite 'pretty' songs to play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdcpFdMO-Y). Got any recommendations for pretty songs with tabs? I looked though the dominator tabs a bit. But I was hoping some people could recommend some songs that they really enjoy playing.

Thanks everybody. Have a great weekend.

I can't offer you tabs but 2 I enjoy are "I Will" and "Till There Was You" by the Beatles.

I'm in the final mastering / packaging stages of a CD of original songs ... 5 are guitar based, but there are 2 uke-oriented songs, one of which is quite "pretty", lyrics and music ... it's a strummer, but cool chords. $15 will get you the CD when it's ready (hopefully 2-3 weeks) and I'll even send you the lyrics w/ chords :). PM me if you're interested.

You would like the Dr. Uke and the Scorpex sites. They have several of the same genre as Georgia On My Mind. I like All of Me, Are You Lonesome Tonight, As Time Goes By, Smile etc. They give the chords, and I end up adding the fingerpicking.

Also look here in the forums for Links and Videos, and Ukulele Tabs and Chords. Putter and others have some nice fingerpicking songs with tabs.

Last edited:
One of my favs is Here Comes the Sun ... the tab by Ukulele Mike (I think) .... challenging tab to figure out at first, but the video helps a ton. Great sounding tab.

Not really a finger picking tune, but I play with hammer on and offs. Sarah McLachlan, Angel. Hauntingly beautiful.

The arrangement Seeso did of "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce is a nice fingerstyle tab and would be very easy for you. Here is a link to the tab: https://app.box.com/shared/ath9dgqgj4 .

Also, you might consider Fred Sokolow's new Beatles for Fingerstyle Ukulele book (there is an optional CD, too). Some great songs in there: Yesterday, Here Comes the Sun, Something in the Way She Moves, etc.

'Today', by Randy Sparks (chordie.com), 'Four Strong Winds' (scorpex), 'Nights in White Satin (Ukulele Mike).
Cheers,
R

If you like Hawaiian flavour -- Sand Castles by Herb Ohta, Jr. is nice. Also Hawaiian Soul is lovely. I know there are tabs out there for Sand Castles.

I can't offer you tabs but 2 I enjoy are "I Will" and "Till There Was You" by the Beatles.

Till There Was You is the main love song from the musical The Music Man. Meredith Willson composed it.

My marvelous fingerpicking husband Craig enchants me with arrangements from Herb Ohta and Lyle Ritz. He's been practicing Someone to Watch Over Me for a while, and he does several Nat King Cole songs that are so lovely he can keep playing after I've gone to bed.

Hey Doug, just had a thought.... (I know :p). Something I have done in the past when I get to a similar place as what it sounds like you're in, is to flick through some old books of folk songs, especially the ones that move at slower tempos in the more "ballad" style. Try tabbing out the notes from some of that sheet music and you can make some really gorgeous discoveries. I remember I did it for 'The Water Is Wide', 'O My Love is Like A Red Red Rose' and a number of others and just fell in love with many old songs over again. Some of those olde-tyme melodies are as sweet as music gets, to me anyway. And yeah, pretty to the max. Cheers mate and thanks for the shout-out.

If you like Hawaiian flavour -- Sand Castles by Herb Ohta, Jr. is nice. Also Hawaiian Soul is lovely. I know there are tabs out there for Sand Castles.

Great. Yeah, I found some tab. I think I'll work on this first. I do like HOJ's songs and already know a couple. This is great. Thanks.

Top Bottom