PDA

View Full Version : Kamaka Tour Pictures...

mm stan
05-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Hope you enjoy...79378793797938079381

mm stan
05-09-2015, 01:31 PM
More Pictures..

Ukejenny
05-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Great shots!

sam13
05-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks Stan ... nice pictures ... did you make any purchase? :o

mm stan
05-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Thanks Stan ... nice pictures ... did you make any purchase? :o
Not me but there was GT, who got a six banger.. :)

PereBourik
05-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Always a treat to see the workshops. Mahalo for the pics Stan.

caukulele
05-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Thanks for posting Stan! Would love to visit someday!!!

mm stan
05-09-2015, 04:11 PM
So glad you all are enjoying the pictures, yes I hope you all can make it here one day :)

quiltingshirley
05-10-2015, 08:08 AM
Enjoyed the "tour". Thanks. Do I see some new additions?

tbeltrans
05-10-2015, 08:34 AM
Cool pictures! Thanks.

The only problem is that I wanted to imagine some guy high up on a mountain (volcano ?) somewhere in Hawaii carving out my Ohta-San from a hunk of Koa with a wood carving knife. Now, I have a mental picture that my Ohta-San went by on a conveyor belt while a bunch of people in a long line each did something to it until it reached the end of the line and was ready to ship. :)

Just kidding. I am sure the reality (except the mountain...) lies somewhere between these two extremes.

Tony

Doc_J
05-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Nice pics! Thanks Stan.

Kamaka has a quite a bit of modern machinery and tooling, including a nice CNC!

mm stan
05-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Enjoyed the "tour". Thanks. Do I see some new additions?
Aloha Qshirley,
Yes some new employees, equipment, but same great feel and hospitality when you walk in the door, :)

mm stan
05-10-2015, 11:01 AM
Cool pictures! Thanks.

The only problem is that I wanted to imagine some guy high up on a mountain (volcano ?) somewhere in Hawaii carving out my Ohta-San from a hunk of Koa with a wood carving knife. Now, I have a mental picture that my Ohta-San went by on a conveyor belt while a bunch of people in a long line each did something to it until it reached the end of the line and was ready to ship. :)

Just kidding. I am sure the reality (except the mountain...) lies somewhere between these two extremes.

Tony
Aloha Tony,
The reality is that you're getting a high quality ukulele made by a company that had been in business for 99 years.

mm stan
05-10-2015, 11:04 AM
Nice pics! Thanks Stan.

Kamaka has a quite a bit of modern machinery and tooling, including a nice CNC!

Aloha Hodge,
Still waiting for you to make it here and visit us, lots to do man.. hope to see you soon. :)

Nickie
05-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Coolio Stan! Thanks for the virtual tour. I hope I can get a 100th anniversary Kamaka. I think it's most interesting that the world's eldest ukulele maker has so many technical looking machines.
My dream is to visit Hawaii and come home with a beautiful uke, maybe a Kamaka!
I could do worse, right?

mds725
05-10-2015, 12:15 PM
mahalo for the photos, Stan! Did you get an ukulele hole as a souvenir of the tour?

tbeltrans
05-10-2015, 12:20 PM
Aloha Tony,
The reality is that you're getting a high quality ukulele made by a company that had been in business for 99 years.

Most certainly.

Tony

mm stan
05-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Coolio Stan! Thanks for the virtual tour. I hope I can get a 100th anniversary Kamaka. I think it's most interesting that the world's eldest ukulele maker has so many technical looking machines.
My dream is to visit Hawaii and come home with a beautiful uke, maybe a Kamaka!
I could do worse, right?

Aloha Nickie,
Yes I wish you to could come here too for your big event....it would be awesome.. you do deserve it for all the kind and good things you do on the job and off.. :)

mm stan
05-10-2015, 03:54 PM
mahalo for the photos, Stan! Did you get an ukulele hole as a souvenir of the tour?

Aloha Markie,
Oh yes, ha ha they still are giving away them sound hole fridge magnets with their logo on top ... we got to go back and see them again...fo sure :)

mm stan
05-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Most certainly.

Tony

Hey Tony, you got to make it this way soon too...lots to see man :)

tbeltrans
05-11-2015, 02:31 AM
Hey Tony, you got to make it this way soon too...lots to see man :)

Well, as some group that strongly identified itself with the beach and surfing once sang..."wouldn't it be nice...". :)
Since I own three Hawaiian "K" instruments as my entire "collection" (rather anemic, compared to many here), I would definitely have an interest in visiting. :)

Tony

gtomatt
05-11-2015, 06:44 AM
Thanks for sharing Stan! Did you get to meet Tekla, Alice & the rest of the folks?

Martin guitar gives away the sound hole cut outs on their tour also

Icelander53
05-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Henry Ford is to blame

mm stan
05-11-2015, 11:35 AM
Thanks for sharing Stan! Did you get to meet Tekla, Alice & the rest of the folks?

Martin guitar gives away the sound hole cut outs on their tour also
Aloha Matt,
even Herb ohta was there too.. :)

Nickie
05-11-2015, 11:48 AM
This thread is a great idea. I'd love to see more shop tours! Can anyone do Mya Moe, Moore Bettah, Kanilea, etc? I think it would be interesting. I have yet to tour LoPrinzi....I've seen Arrowhead Music's work room, but it's just a messy table in a messy room full of junk and sawdust and cobwebs.....

gtomatt
05-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Aloha Matt,
even Herb ohta was there too.. :)

Very Nice!!!!

bbycrts
05-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Oh dear. That 8-string. *whimper*

Beautiful. Thanks, Stan!

janeray1940
05-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Since I own three Hawaiian "K" instruments as my entire "collection" (rather anemic, compared to many here)

Ha ha, my entire "collection" is also three Hawaiian "K" instruments - all Kamaka :)

All of that and Herb Ohta too? Very cool. When I did the tour a few years back I was treated to a ukulele lesson in the parking lot out from from Bryan Tolentino. You just never know who will drop by!

tbeltrans
05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
Ha ha, my entire "collection" is also three Hawaiian "K" instruments - all Kamaka :)

All of that and Herb Ohta too? Very cool. When I did the tour a few years back I was treated to a ukulele lesson in the parking lot out from from Bryan Tolentino. You just never know who will drop by!

My three 'K" instruments are Kamaka (Ohta-San concert low G), Ko'olau (Deluxe custom tenor high G), and Kanilea (Guitarlele). They are keepers. As a result of another thread, I have decided I don't need to add a Soprano for the type of music I play. So, let it be known that this forum does NOT always egg people into buying more ukuleles. :)

I did not know who Bryan Tolentino is. But then...I checked on Youtube. What a player! I noticed he uses a thumb pick, like those who play guitar in the Travis/Atkins style typically do. What did you learn from him?

Tony

pritch
05-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the pictures. Like some others I was a bit startled by the automation. The only instrument factory pics I have around the house all originated at Fender, California and they tend to depict hand work, usually in the Custom shop. No, I haven't been there (Fender that is) but I do have books.

Kayak Jim
05-11-2015, 02:17 PM
I like the "ferris wheel" for holding the multiple panel glue ups.

janeray1940
05-11-2015, 02:46 PM
My three 'K" instruments are Kamaka (Ohta-San concert low G), Ko'olau (Deluxe custom tenor high G), and Kanilea (Guitarlele). They are keepers. As a result of another thread, I have decided I don't need to add a Soprano for the type of music I play. So, let it be known that this forum does NOT always egg people into buying more ukuleles. :)

I did not know who Bryan Tolentino is. But then...I checked on Youtube. What a player! I noticed he uses a thumb pick, like those who play guitar in the Travis/Atkins style typically do. What did you learn from him?

Tony

Tony, you have a great assortment of K's - I suspect that if I ever encountered a Ko'olau in person I might stray from my Kamaka-only path. But I'm certainly happy enough where I am right now.

I encountered Bryan toward the beginning of my ukulele journey, and was with a few beginner friends as well - he taught us some Hawaiian turnarounds, which I've of course long since forgotten but certainly made use of while in Hawaii. What stuck with me the most from his lesson, though, was his explanation of moveable chords - rather than going over barre chord forms, he started from the first position with a basic C, F, and G7 and told us to imagine in first position that the nut was the barring finger, if that makes sense, and then move everything up from there. Basic stuff, but at the time nobody had explained that to me - from then on, I was all about moveable chords! If/when I make it back to Hawaii again I'd definitely contact him for a lesson or two - not only can he play, but if he can teach *me* something that huge in fifteen minutes, standing in a parking lot, I'd say he's a top-rate teacher :)

tbeltrans
05-11-2015, 04:22 PM
Tony, you have a great assortment of K's - I suspect that if I ever encountered a Ko'olau in person I might stray from my Kamaka-only path. But I'm certainly happy enough where I am right now.

I encountered Bryan toward the beginning of my ukulele journey, and was with a few beginner friends as well - he taught us some Hawaiian turnarounds, which I've of course long since forgotten but certainly made use of while in Hawaii. What stuck with me the most from his lesson, though, was his explanation of moveable chords - rather than going over barre chord forms, he started from the first position with a basic C, F, and G7 and told us to imagine in first position that the nut was the barring finger, if that makes sense, and then move everything up from there. Basic stuff, but at the time nobody had explained that to me - from then on, I was all about moveable chords! If/when I make it back to Hawaii again I'd definitely contact him for a lesson or two - not only can he play, but if he can teach *me* something that huge in fifteen minutes, standing in a parking lot, I'd say he's a top-rate teacher :)

Yes, that makes sense. There is a system on the guitar called the CAGED system. The open position chords C, A, G, E, and D, when placed end to end along the fretboard, all play the same chord. Each has all the various scale forms, major, the minors, pentatonic, etc. It is a great way to easily map the fretboard and know where you are. As you described, when moving any of these shapes up the fretboard, your index finger is the barre, replacing the nut at the open position. I wrote a paper on that back in 1995:

http://www.lickbyneck.com/Lesson-CHORDMELODYGUITAR-AnOrganizedApproach-FormattedByColinSobers.htm

and for download at other places around the internet. The system has been around a long time and has been the standard teaching approach to the fretboard for much longer than I have been around.

My Ko'olau was a ridiculously expensive instrument. I would have never purchased it outright, but as a straight across trade for a guitar I wanted to sell, the timing was perfect. The Ko'olau was priced at $4,500. It is a K'olau Deluxe, but is entirely custom with their highest grade Koa, an LR Baggs pickup system, and every upgrade they have. It is a once-in-a-lifetime instrument, and is one of a kind. I think I got it as the trade because the shop could sell my guitar, but there is really not a market for a ukulele in that price range around here (or probably in most areas, I would imagine). I really think I was lucky that in quick succession, all three of my instruments literally landed in my lap. There was little time to think too much if I wanted these instruments. I knew they were really high end and the likelihood that I would have the trading stock and money for these, and that they would show up locally again, were pretty slim. Sure enough, nothing like this has shown up again. I ave not seen another Kanilea Guitarlele GL-6D show up for sale (especially the top line deluxe version as I got on Craig's List), nor anything like my Ko'olau, and I have not seen another Ohta-San show up around here either. I don't like buying expensive items sight unseen, and wouldn't have purchased pieces like this online. I also doubt I could have done a trade as I did for the Ko'olau except from a local shop where I know the staff. I just have to remind myself of this and remain grateful, and I really won't have any problems with UAS - ever.

Tony

dkcrown
05-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Thanks Stan. Miss you my friend. :)

SoloRule
05-12-2015, 12:51 AM
Stan
When is Kamaka moving the factory?

guitharsis
05-12-2015, 02:35 AM
Great pics, Stan! Thanks for sharing. From handmade to amazing automation. Over time, Kamaka has definitely taken it to the next level. Kamaka instruments, all the ones I've played anyway, look and sound great with perfect intonation. The new tuners were the icing on the cake.

guitharsis
05-12-2015, 02:42 AM
Yes, that makes sense. There is a system on the guitar called the CAGED system. The open position chords C, A, G, E, and D, when placed end to end along the fretboard, all play the same chord. Each has all the various scale forms, major, the minors, pentatonic, etc. It is a great way to easily map the fretboard and know where you are. As you described, when moving any of these shapes up the fretboard, your index finger is the barre, replacing the nut at the open position. I wrote a paper on that back in 1995:

http://www.lickbyneck.com/Lesson-CHORDMELODYGUITAR-AnOrganizedApproach-FormattedByColinSobers.htm

and for download at other places around the internet. The system has been around a long time and has been the standard teaching approach to the fretboard for much longer than I have been around.

My Ko'olau was a ridiculously expensive instrument. I would have never purchased it outright, but as a straight across trade for a guitar I wanted to sell, the timing was perfect. The Ko'olau was priced at $4,500. It is a K'olau Deluxe, but is entirely custom with their highest grade Koa, an LR Baggs pickup system, and every upgrade they have. It is a once-in-a-lifetime instrument, and is one of a kind. I think I got it as the trade because the shop could sell my guitar, but there is really not a market for a ukulele in that price range around here (or probably in most areas, I would imagine). I really think I was lucky that in quick succession, all three of my instruments literally landed in my lap. There was little time to think too much if I wanted these instruments. I knew they were really high end and the likelihood that I would have the trading stock and money for these, and that they would show up locally again, were pretty slim. Sure enough, nothing like this has shown up again. I ave not seen another Kanilea Guitarlele GL-6D show up for sale (especially the top line deluxe version as I got on Craig's List), nor anything like my Ko'olau, and I have not seen another Ohta-San show up around here either. I don't like buying expensive items sight unseen, and wouldn't have purchased pieces like this online. I also doubt I could have done a trade as I did for the Ko'olau except from a local shop where I know the staff. I just have to remind myself of this and remain grateful, and I really won't have any problems with UAS - ever.

Tony

You definitely hit it right with your ukuleles, Tony! The Ohta-San was a great choice and your Ko'olau was a perfect trade for you.

I've narrowed my collection down to four ukuleles - a Kamaka Ohta-san, a Kamaka concert and a KoAloha and Kanile'a concert. Also have one Kamaka Concert Special for sale on consignment at Bernunzio's www.bernunzio.com. Hope to get a Kamaka 100th Anniversary model in 2016.

tbeltrans
05-12-2015, 03:24 AM
You definitely hit it right with your ukuleles, Tony! The Ohta-San was a great choice and your Ko'olau was a perfect trade for you.

I've narrowed my collection down to four ukuleles - a Kamaka Ohta-san, a Kamaka concert and a KoAloha and Kanile'a concert. Also have one Kamaka Concert Special for sale on consignment at Bernunzio's www.bernunzio.com. Hope to get a Kamaka 100th Anniversary model in 2016.

Thanks guitharsis. For me, it was a combination of pure luck and the right people watching out for me. The "right people" were the owner and staff at Willie's. The Guitarlele I just happened to be looking at the right place at the right time, just when I had become aware such a thing existed. Being a guitar player for many years, the idea seemed appealing.

It seems that you have a nice collection too. I would guess that the Kamaka Anniversary models will be something really special.

Tony

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:11 AM
Oh dear. That 8-string. *whimper*

Beautiful. Thanks, Stan!

Aloha Jon, my friend greg grabbed that 6 stringer that day.. about 1200.00 :)

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:13 AM

Aloha miss m,
Yes at the end herb ohta.san Jr showed up at kamaka too

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:15 AM

Tony
Aloha Tony,
Yes if you make it here, Bryan plays at the holoholo bar and grille with his friends, you got to see him when you get here

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Like some others I was a bit startled by the automation. The only instrument factory pics I have around the house all originated at Fender, California and they tend to depict hand work, usually in the Custom shop. No, I haven't been there (Fender that is) but I do have books.

Aloha pritch,
Yes kamaka has a great staff, workers and equipment, some high tech, but tried and tested long used techniques
You have to make it this way for sure

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:19 AM
I like the "ferris wheel" for holding the multiple panel glue ups.

Aloha Jim,
Got any pictures? Please post them here

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:21 AM
Thanks Stan. Miss you my friend. :)
Aloha Dana
Yes please keep in touch, I have not been on much as I have not been feeling well
Hope you are doing fine yourself. Hope you too can make it to Hawaii soon bruddah :)

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Stan
When is Kamaka moving the factory?
Aloha Brenda,
Not sure, but I don't think it will be for a while...

mm stan
05-12-2015, 05:25 AM
Great pics, Stan! Thanks for sharing. From handmade to amazing automation. Over time, Kamaka has definitely taken it to the next level. Kamaka instruments, all the ones I've played anyway, look and sound great with perfect intonation. The new tuners were the icing on the cake.

Aloha D,
Yes I was amazed with all the high tech equipment, but they still retained some old style tried and trued, techniques
So when are you coming for a vacation and visit

wayfarer75
05-12-2015, 06:03 AM
Aloha Markie,
Oh yes, ha ha they still are giving away them sound hole fridge magnets with their logo on top ... we got to go back and see them again...fo sure :)

Cool! I love the idea that someone has the soundhole from my pineapple sitting on their fridge.

tbeltrans
05-12-2015, 08:04 AM
Aloha Tony,
Yes if you make it here, Bryan plays at the holoholo bar and grille with his friends, you got to see him when you get here

Agreed. His Youtube videos are impressive.

Tony

mm stan
05-12-2015, 11:08 AM
Cool! I love the idea that someone has the soundhole from my pineapple sitting on their fridge.

Yes you can call or write them to buy one.. or email them :)

mm stan
05-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Agreed. His Youtube videos are impressive.

Tony

He currently plays with alot of others, mothers day at the royal hawaiian hotel was awesome with Raiatea, Helm

wayfarer75
05-12-2015, 12:14 PM
Yes you can call or write them to buy one.. or email them :)

Great! :shaka:

Jeffelele
05-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Such a nice thread.

I wanna get me some tour!

Jeff

mm stan
05-14-2015, 12:44 AM
Mahalo jeff,
Yes you too need a vacation here man...