NUD - LFDM Tenor: Bella

sam13

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am very pleased to share my latest purchase.

As previously posted, I had the very good fortune (along with my good friend DownUpDave) to meet with Luis Feu de Mesquita. As luck would have we live in the same city just outside of Toronto, ON, Canada.

I put a deposit on a custom Ukulele with Luis many moons ago, and sat patiently. I decided to bother him as little as possible and didn't drop in to visit the Uke in construction, because time spent with me was time taken away from him and his family.

Bella has been completed (Luis encourages us to name the Uke as it helps shape the over all look perhaps?) and I couldn't be happier. To recap.

Details of Bella:

Tenor
Top: Sinker Redwood
Back and Sides: Malaysian Blackwood (Macassar Ebony Family)
Cutaway
Grand Bouche (large mouth sound hole)
Rosette and Binding: Curly Koa
Sound Port
Laskin Armrest: Curly Koa
Radius Neck (of course … Sam I am, I am the Radius man … and you know it!)
Wider neck 1.5 inches at the nut (the neck does look wide, but I am 6’5” and have big hands so … it is perfect for me)
O Fret Bone Nut and Saddle
LR Baggs 5.0 pick up installed
Strings: South Coast HML RW

The Sinker Redwood Tone is just like Luis and Andrew Kitakis (HMS) said: Somewhere between Cedar and Spruce. Warmth and Brightness.

I find it the tone centred, clear, warm with brightness. The sustain is wonderful ... just awesome for the lush jazz chords.

The Action is less than .2 mm at the nut as it is a fretless Uke. I was unsure about it, but Luis is the master so I went with his suggestion and yeah, with a radius ... it plays with effortless pressure when barring ... this is butter!

The tone all the way up the neck is even, and clean ... full.

The sound port is the new standard for me (unless I buy used), is so great. What a gift to get that extra feed back from your Ukulele!

Due to the nature of the wood, I have been trying to get a nice set of pictures to share ... but while taking photos ... the finish produces a reflection so forgive me.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

A quick note regarding Luis:

He is a wonderful, caring, sincere and thoughtful gentleman.

No inch of this or any Ukulele goes un-noticed nor untouched. His attention to detail is impeccable. I would definitely consider another Uke.

He is looking at Baritones, and another UU member is getting a 19" scale Tenor neck.

Also, while picking up Bella he showed off some other Ukes he had finished and one was with a traditional Uke shaped but Spanish guitar accents. It was beautiful.

If anyone is interested in a LFdM, contact Andrew Kitakis at HMS as he is the distributor world wide.

Last edited:
Here are a few more from a different shoot. Some of the earlier posted photographs are affected by the over cast.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Looks nice Simon...congrats...:)

Wow, wow, wow, Simon. Quite a looker! The swirl in the wood makes me hungry for chocolate & peanut butter. I might have named it Reeses. ;-)

Wow, that is some amazing wood! I've read some of Luis's blog posts. His dedication to his work is obvious.

Wowee! Loves me some redwood. Wait, did you say fretless uke? Sure looks like it has frets??

Gorgeous!!! I could look at his work all day long.

Welcome to Ukulele Heaven, Simon! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Bella turned out beautifully! And with that wood combination, I bet it sounds like a canon.

Glad to hear that Luis is considering building Baritones...

Enjoy your new Uber Uke!

It looks like your patience has been rewarded. Best wishes on a long musical relationship.

Wowee! Loves me some redwood. Wait, did you say fretless uke? Sure looks like it has frets??

Hey Jim, Simon meant to say a zero fret. He has lost his mind from the beautiful tone that Bella produces.

As I had said in his "build in progress" thread I was lucky enough to go with him to pick up Bella from Luis. I have played it on two occassions and it is simply amazing. Other than the tone, which is second to none, is the playability. The best compliment I can give is while playing a song I know very well with finger style runs and chiming "Bella" felt like a uke I had played for years. It was effortless and allowed me to make music without thinking about it.

Wow, congratulations! It's gorgeous....makes me drool....:drool: and want one:iwant:
I love the way the bevel looks, is that maple it's made of?
I wonder what kind of price sticker a uke like that has...
I bet it's fun to play!

Hello All,

Thanks so much for your comments: Hawaii50, Eddie, Wayfarer, Jim, Ukejenny, Rakelele, DownUpDave, nongdam, and Nickie.

I appreciate it. Bella is wonderful to play ... has my Pono Pro Classics crying foul! I am quite sure a few of them just became re entrant ... and perhaps redundant ... lol.

Nickie ... the trim, binding and bevel is Curly Koa.

I have a video of it ... can I post it in a thread in the Uke Talk section or should I post it in the Videos and Links and then link it here?

I will also put together some simple playing video ... I am holding a uber fine Uke for somewhat a novice ... but the tone makes me want to practise even more.

Put it here Simon as it'd be a great addition to the thread! Awesome looking uke mate, massive congrats. :)

I'm sure that uke is going to make you play better, it's hard to put down, right?

I'm sure that uke is going to make you play better, it's hard to put down, right?

For sure ... it is such a fine instrument in everyway ... I will post a video so people can hear the tone.

Beautiful uke, 1.5" nut is perfect IMO, playability, and i'm sure the tone everything and more... When you find 'the one' what a cool feeling.

Congrats man...

Beautiful uke, 1.5" nut is perfect IMO, playability, and i'm sure the tone everything and more... When you find 'the one' what a cool feeling.

Congrats man...

Thank you. I don't really notice the difference when I play the 1.5" nut, but when I play the 1 3/8th after ... it seems small.

Bella is my "the one" for a Low G ... I am looking for a cousin for High G. LOL.

Bella is my "the one" for a Low G ... I am looking for a cousin for High G. LOL.

Simon, every time I tried switching strings on my tenors with high G, I didn't like the sound. Katysax just started a thread on this topic.

All my tenors are in Low G and I'm going to use my concert and soprano for re-entrant tuning.[/QUOTE]

I saw Kaysax's thread ... and will read it. You have a good point re: Tenors ... I have a few too many now with Bella onboard and am trying to figure out if they stay or go.

But I use a Tenor for local Uke jams as a re entrant so I can hear myself and help increase finger memory. I was thinking a Ribboned Mahogany Tenor with sound port and re-entant tuning with a wound 3rd. I quite like DownUpDave's Uke KK from a Canadian builder Webber out in British Columbia.

I like your idea regarding Concert and Soprano for re-entrant tuning. Thanks for the thought ... I like it.

Top Bottom