Reaction score
It took a long time but I finished my second build:

Tasmanian Blackwood Back, Sides, and Neck
Western Red Cedar Top
Ebony Fretboard and Bridge
Curly Narra Fretboard Binding
MOP Rosette and Markers
Gotoh Planetary UPT Tuners

Thank you to Michael Zuch for his great advice with this build and to Chuck Moore for his instructions and answering questions on pore filling with CA! Thanks also to many of you who post ideas and examples on the forum.

Attachments

• photo0.jpg
    photo0.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 130
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 135
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 142
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 112
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 113
Really nice looking second build. A whole lot better looking than my second build. Very nice looking uke. Love the proportions. If that is your second build, can't wait to see your third. Nice job.

It's hard to believe this is only your second build: sound hole and fretboard detail are 2 obvious areas where you have excelled. I hope it sounds as good as it looks. Its great to see the work of new makers.

Beautiful work Derek. You got some serious building skills!

Nice looking uke. Well done.
I see you've used a zero fret. What was your thinking here? Is this just at the same height as the other frets or is it slightly elevated to give a bit more clearance?
Miguel

Great work, if that's your second build, you certainly have serious skills! I also like your headstock motif. Does it have a meaning?

Bob

Nice looking uke. Well done.
I see you've used a zero fret. What was your thinking here? Is this just at the same height as the other frets or is it slightly elevated to give a bit more clearance?
Miguel

Hi Miguel -
I leveled the zero fret the same as all the others. The nut was slotted to match the string width but deep enough that the strings were not resting on the bottom of the groove. This seems to work fine. The intonation is good and doesn't have the issue of the open string not matching the pitch of the fretted strings that I have seen on some other ukes. I don't necessarily care for the way it looks but it seems to solve the problem without much fussing over the nut slotting. I would probably do it this way again on my next build.

Thank you all for the nice feedback. I'm very happy with the sound of this uke and the way it turned out.

Great work, if that's your second build, you certainly have serious skills! I also like your headstock motif. Does it have a meaning?

Bob

Hi Bob -
I tried to do something simple that would add some personalization. It is my attempt at a "piko." This means "belly button" in Hawaiian but has meanings associated with centeredness and generational family ties.

Top Bottom