bindings on fretboard?

tangimango

Reaction score
do I add the outer bindings after I install all the fret wires or is the fretwires added after the binding put in place?

do I need to smooth out the fretwire edge first then hammer in the fretwire?

Hello Tanginango, This is how I do it and the order of things. I cut the fret slots in the board, add the binding, measure the size of frets i need and cut them off of the 2 foot length of fret wire ( I will add a bit of extra length here because the ends will get filed.) I cut back the Tang on each fret on both sides so to clear the binding and install. Install the fret, Dress and file as you normally would. This method hides the fret's tang behind the binding when you view the neck from the sides. Do a Google search for images of 'cut fret tang' and you 'll see how to cut them back on their ends. Thanks
Vince

Last edited:
Thanks now i understand. If one does not want to cut the tang , could i dress and file then install the fret between the bindings?

Here's an illustration that shows what I'm describing. Slot fretboard, add binding, Install frets, then file and dress. Thanks Vince

Attachments

• Fret Tang cut.JPG
    Fret Tang cut.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Thanks now i understand. If one does not want to cut the tang , could i dress and file then install the fret between the bindings?

That would be the Gibson-style of binding. They would square the ends of the frets flush with the fret board, then add bindings that are as tall as the frets. Then the binding between the frets is dressed down to the fret board and the nibs of binding at the ends of the frets would be dressed just like they were the ends of the frets. Some people think it looks very cool, but its a pain in the butt and you lose a fraction of playable fret on each end. Gibson also uses plastic binding. If softwood binding was used (ie:softer than hard maple) the nibs might tend to chip away from the fret ends.

Back in the day (before fret end nippers) I used to trim away the tang with side-cut pliers and a file. It helps to make a small piece of wood with a groove for the fret tops. The wood goes into a small vise, the fret top (dome) sits in the groove, and the file cleans up the tang left by the dykes. Its not that big a deal.

That's how I did it for a long time, but mine weren't square like KoAloha, they were bevelled like G-String (both of whom I took the style from and combined for my own).

I finally got off my lazy ass and do it the hard way, and actually did a workshop on it at last year's UGH Conference in Waikiki. It was then that I found out there's a LOT of guys pounding in frets. I've since dropped the $$$ on the Hosco nipper - money well spent.

Top Bottom