Case pops open?

Rllink

Reaction score
I ordered my new Mainland, and ordered a nice faux alligator case to go with it. So it arrived, and I remembered someone mentioning that the latches can somehow come loose on cases and the ukulele falls out. I have absolutely no reason to believe that would happen, but paranoia took over anyway. Because my wife describes me as the type who doesn't think thing through a lot, and solves all life's problems by jumping at the first viable option, I found a dirty old piece of quarter inch nylon chord laying on the floor of the garage, and started tying it around the case, just as a precaution. So my wife, who does a lot of yoga, has all of these elastic hair bands in her dresser drawer. She picked me out one with a big Nike swoosh on it, tied a strategic knot in it, and now I can just stretch it over the neck of the case and go overboard with security. And people think that I have a nifty Nike ukulele case security band, instead of a dirty old rope. I would have posted a picture, but the whole concept is so simple, it does not even rate one.

Last edited:
Tell your wife Dave said she is a genius. That is a brilliantly simple idea. I have seen guys with the strap around the waist, looked like a pain, but the Nike band around the neck..........that will let you hang with the "cool kids'

I remembered someone mentioning that the latches can somehow come loose on cases and the ukulele falls out

That might have been me - I had a cheapo two-latch case that came with my secondhand Kamaka HF-2 back in the day before Kamaka started including really nice cases with their ukes. After a near-fail (thank you, quick reflexes!), I used a bungee cord (and eventually replaced the case of course). Your solution sounds a bit more elegant!

If you are into advertising for Nike, that's a great idea, but there is a generic simple solution in 19 different colours. It can be one inch wide poly webbing with industrial grade hook and loop fastener material sewn to it with as wide an overlap as you want. I would have to check what my cost is for the H/L material is before I quote any price. The webbing is $0.12 per foot my cost. Another generic solution is heavy duty elastic. This is not the kind of stuff that is around the top of undergarments. It comes one or two inches wide. The circumference of the area to be surrounded should be decreased about 30% to have it hold, and also fairly easy to remove. Yes, even elastic can have hook and loop fastener material on the end so it can be stretched and easily opened. Anyone interested in safety straps send me a private message. For those who are really apprehensive, there is also 2"wide seat belt webbing or..... 3/4 inch wide mule tape with a 2500# load rating on it.

You can buy very large rubber bands for cheap.

I've never had an issue with a case coming unlatched. Ko'olau makes em good.

If you are into advertising for Nike, that's a great idea, but there is a generic simple solution in 19 different colours. It can be one inch wide poly webbing with industrial grade hook and loop fastener material sewn to it with as wide an overlap as you want. I would have to check what my cost is for the H/L material is before I quote any price. The webbing is $0.12 per foot my cost. Another generic solution is heavy duty elastic. This is not the kind of stuff that is around the top of undergarments. It comes one or two inches wide. The circumference of the area to be surrounded should be decreased about 30% to have it hold, and also fairly easy to remove. Yes, even elastic can have hook and loop fastener material on the end so it can be stretched and easily opened. Anyone interested in safety straps send me a private message. For those who are really apprehensive, there is also 2"wide seat belt webbing or..... 3/4 inch wide mule tape with a 2500# load rating on it.
When my wife told me that the dirty rope looked bad, and seemed a little cumbersome to tie, I actually suggested that she sew some Velcro on a nylon strap, and when she went upstairs, I thought that was what she was going to do. But she didn't.

You can buy very large rubber bands for cheap.

I've never had an issue with a case coming unlatched. Ko'olau makes em good.
There are lots of things you can do. My wife and I hit the gym pretty regularly, and I run and swim a lot, so we thought the Nike hair band was fun, but there are lots of ways, including having someone make you a custom ukulele Velcro safety strap. I just thought it was clever, and it kind of fits our lifestyle.

Last edited:
Elastic eventually stretches out. Have you thought about those luggage wraps with the plastic clips?

I was into slingshots awhile back. I ended up finding a rubberband size that made a superior hunting band with lots of velocity. They are big boys and would work very well for your application and you could easily color them or decorate them. A huge box of them is just a few bucks.

You can get bike clips for pants, which achieve the same thing. Vintage ones are metal clips, but 21st century ones are stretchy bands with velcro meant to keep your pants legs wrapped around your calf and not get into the gears on the bicycle. Mine are Shimano, but there are plenty of non-branded ones on eBay.

Attachments

• shimano cuffs.jpg
    shimano cuffs.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hey Rolli

Looks like toooooo many cooks trying to spoil the broth. Works fine, no need for anything else, I get it.:p

The nails and hammer idea is a good secure one Icelander, might be a bit slow on the opening end of things.:confused:

Last edited:
Hey Rolli

Looks like toooooo many cooks trying to spoil the broth. Works fine, no did for anything else, I get it.:p

The nails and hammer idea is a good secure one Icelander, might be a bit slow on the opening end of things.:confused:
Lots of good ideas. Remember, I was the guy with the dirty piece of rope. :)

seems like a lot of solutions looking for a problem! Good luck with your Mainland and paranoia...:shaka:

My only concern about latches coming open on a hard-case is if the case was dropped hard. In such a circumstance the case might deform allowing the latches to unlatch. I was only really comparing this to a polyfoam case which is zipped all the way around. In a drop scenario I believe that a polyfoam case would provide better protection for several reasons over a standard hard-case. Mind you, a standard hard-case provides better protection in a static situation such as someone standing on the case.

Its swings and roundabouts. In practice I don't do anything special with my hard-cases.

Anthony

Reminds me of a line from an old Buffalo Springfield song, ".......paranoia strikes deep....". Oops, gotta run and check my case latches now.

Top Bottom