banjo uke strings?

Picker Jon

Reaction score
I just got a Kala concert banjo uke and after tightening up all the screws and tuning the head, I'm loving it! I've not been playing uke long but I was amazed at the difference changing strings from Aquila to Martins had on my Gretsch - made it sound much better.

I'm not sure what strings came on the banjo but I was wondering if changing them might make a difference to the tone. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about which ones might be worth a try?

Thanks! PJ

Aquila super nylguts are the standard for banjo ukes and for good reason, however, lots of folks prefer other strings to them. "much better" is pretty subjective. In the end, the best strings are the ones that make it sound the way you like. It's good you found a set of strings you like for it..

I just got a Kala concert banjo uke and after tightening up all the screws and tuning the head, I'm loving it! I've not been playing uke long but I was amazed at the difference changing strings from Aquila to Martins had on my Gretsch - made it sound much better.

I'm not sure what strings came on the banjo but I was wondering if changing them might make a difference to the tone. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about which ones might be worth a try?

Thanks! PJ

Which Kala is it and how old ?

Sorry ,you said "concert" duh ...me no looky properly...

Last edited:
I have a concert banjo uke and it has old style Aquila nylguts on it and they sound great. It has a proper banjo sound

I have Martin's on my Firefly and Frankenstein banjo ukes, Super Nylguts on my resonater banjo uke. Pretty satisfied with how they sound with those strings.

My Lanikai concert Banjolele has Aquila Nylguts on it, but they're just regular concert strings. I have some Aquila 42U Banjolele strings that I'm gonna put on soon. I hope they're the same as the ones on it when I got it. I liked 'em really well.

The regular ones on it now are good, but I like the old ones better. :eek:ld:

Regular Aquila Nylguts work well on banjo ukes. Don't bother with their Banjolele strings............really not much difference

I have Worth Browns on my Firefly to kind of tone it down and prefer the feel of Worth's vs. Aquila. I don't need the neighbors complaining! Have Worth Clear's (I think) on my Waverly Street banjo uke.

Top Bottom