Can I use finger 4 (pinky) instead of finger 3 (ring finger)

Reaction score
A C7 on my baritone requires me to depress the 3rd string (G string) on the 3rd fret. If I try to do this with finger 3 (ring finger) - it (the ring finger) "wants" to stay right up against finger 2 (middle finger) and it barely gets beyond the 2nd fret and onto the 3rd fret. However, if I just lift up the ring finger (to get it out of the way) and use the pinky to depress the G string - the pinky goes right where I want it to up against the 3rd fret. (that is - there is a comfortable separation between my middle finger and pinky).

The same situation occurs playing a Dm.

My question is: "Is it okay to use the pinky instead of the ring finger?"

Also is the "fret" the raised piece of metal - or is the "fret" the space between the raised pieces of metal?

Thanks
Selwyn

Welcome to UU, Selwyn. Here are short answers to your questions:

Yes, you can use whichever finger(s) are most comfortable for you to form any chord.

The "fret" is the raised piece of metal.

Happy strummings!

Weeeelll, I will stick my neck out here. Use what is comfortable for you. Similar questions come up with the piano and the guitar. Often, there will be a good reason to use a specific finger, and it may well be a reason that you (whoever, not just you) does not yet understand and it could limit you later on. To me, it seems that there may be specific instances where such may be the case. However, who is to say that this is one of them? If you use what is comfortable now so you can accomplish what you wanted, then at least you can keep momentum rather than stalling out. If later on you decide that you need to change your fingering, you will have good reason to do so, and therefore the motivation to follow through.

On the guitar, there is often discussion as to whether a person playing fingerstyle (rather than using a pick) shold "plant" the pinky of the picking hand on the top of the guitar. I did this for years when I was really into Leo Kottke's early music. Later on, when I needed to adapt to a more classical technique that allowed more freedom of the fingers, I decided to change away from planting my pinky. It took a few weeks of concentrated effort to be comfortable with that, but it was well worth it, and more importantly, it was definitely doable. By the way, Leo Kottke eventually changed his approach away from planting his pinky too (not because I did, since I didn't know him very well having met him only a few times). He made the change because of trouble with his hands, which brings up another point. If whatever you are doing when playing is causing you discomfort, stop and figure out another way to do it that does not hurt.

So, I would say go ahead and do what you need to after having put effort in doing it the "right" way and not succeeding. It may well be that later on, your fingers become more nimble with experience and it becomes possible, or you may find that doing it your way really is better for you. It has happened often enough that a person finds his or her own way to do something, and then does it so well that way, that other people start using that technique too.

We all have at least slightly (and often more than slightly) different body dimensions, capabilities in the use of our fingers, etc. What may be common practice among many people, may not work for us. When learning to play, we have to be aware of what physically works for us and what doesn't, and be willing to experiment to find what works for us individually. That includes our technique as well as our choice of instrument. For some, a tenor may be too big, or a soprano too small, or a certain style of fretboard (thick, thin, wide, narrow, radiused, etc.) uncomfortable. It really is largely a matter of finding what works for us in all these areas. Though there is commonly accepted technique, each person needs to give him or herself permission to deviate as needed.

Tony

Thanks Ralf and Tony. Is it considered a waste of space and of people's time to just say: "Thank you?" Is it better to just assume that replies are appreciated? As members who have posted many times, I would think you are in a good position to answer this question.

Well,

You didn't ask me, but my opinion is Say Something, "Thank You" is good. I find it strange when people ask a question and there is no reply to all the responses.

Thanks Doug. I feel the same way. I was just concerned with the amount of space a "thank you" to every reply could take up.

I've posted a time or two ;), and I think there's always room for courtesy. When folks take the time to answer questions for you, it's nice to acknowledge that you got their reply....

A C7 on my baritone requires me to depress the 3rd string (G string) on the 3rd fret. If I try to do this with finger 3 (ring finger) - it (the ring finger) "wants" to stay right up against finger 2 (middle finger) and it barely gets beyond the 2nd fret and onto the 3rd fret. However, if I just lift up the ring finger (to get it out of the way) and use the pinky to depress the G string - the pinky goes right where I want it to up against the 3rd fret. (that is - there is a comfortable separation between my middle finger and pinky).

The same situation occurs playing a Dm.

My question is: "Is it okay to use the pinky instead of the ring finger?"

Also is the "fret" the raised piece of metal - or is the "fret" the space between the raised pieces of metal?

Thanks
Selwyn

First of all, I don't understand what you are trying to do. My handy dandy baritone chord book says that the C7 chord requires four fingers to play--EA#CG. It would be fretted 2314. If you use the 4th to fret the A#, what will you use to fret the G?

Secondly, I think one should twist and bend his fingers into the correct positions and use them until he/she has been playing awhile. You'll be surprised at how easily you can fret chords then. So, struggle 'til you get it "right". Then, later, you can change to a better way for you.

Thirdly, the fret is the metal thingy, but one presses down right behind it. Between the two frets.

So, that's my opinion for what it's worth, and you're welcome. :eek:ld:

If it's against the rules, you absolutely must try it at some point. Might as well get it over with (if I may end my sentence with a preposition).

Seems like I have downloaded an "easy" baritone chord chart that only requires three fingers for a C7. My "easy" chart also only requires three fingers for a Bb chord.

So - to understand what I was getting at, forget the C7 and see if my question makes more sense when applied to a Dm chord (assuming my chart has it right that a Dm only requires three fingers).

Also --- I don't understand how four numbers (2314) can account for three variables. A: the fingers are numbered. B: the frets are numbered and
C: the strings are numbered. I guess when one has been playing long enough, this is not a problem. But for beginners, it can be very confusing.

You can absolutely use your pinky! In fact, the great classical player Herman Vandecauter advocates it.

http://ukulelelanguages.com/ukulele...kulele-technique-a-tip-by-herman-vandecauter/

I am always impressed when I see good left hand technique on the ukulele. I attach the greatest possible importance on the use of the fourth finger (the little finger or pinky) of the left hand, so often neglected.

Your little finger can become extremely flexible and fast if trained in the right manner.

The 4th finger should be your first choice when you reach the third fret of the first string.

Using it instead of the 3rd finger grants freedom to your other fingers and this technique is used in nearly all embellishments.

Keep the 3rd finger free for the third and fourth strings where it belongs unless you are using the ukulele as a violin in melodic passages.

Besides, keeping your little finger in the air is a form of inefficiency.
In my experience, it depends on where you're coming from and where you're going to. Don't get locked into the idea that you must finger chords the same exact way every time.

My pinky and I are grateful for your response which goes directly to my question ---- and "we" (my pinky and I) are grateful to all who take time to help others on this forum.
"We" thank you !!!!

Thanks Ralf and Tony. Is it considered a waste of space and of people's time to just say: "Thank you?" Is it better to just assume that replies are appreciated? As members who have posted many times, I would think you are in a good position to answer this question.

No, courtesy should never be considered a waste of time. This is just my opinion, however I would rather treat internet forums as I would dealing fact to face. If I ask a question and somebody answers, it would be rude for me to just walk away without acknowledging the person. However, unlike interacting face to face, I would not take offense if somebody did not do that. :)

Tony

You're welcome, and I don't think space is an issue here.

Is it okay? Yes and no. In general, if that's an easier fingering, use it. However, if you're having trouble with the standard way, then you should probably be working on finger flexibility and independence—avoiding problem areas doesn't solve them. Also, having only one fingering available to you will ultimately hold you back, complicating chord transitions and the intermixing of fingerstyle. People with all sizes of hands manage to play guitar, which requires a significantly larger reach (in both dimensions) than bari uke.

First of all, I don't understand what you are trying to do. My handy dandy baritone chord book says that the C7 chord requires four fingers to play--EA#CG. It would be fretted 2314. If you use the 4th to fret the A#, what will you use to fret the G?
Correction: on a fretboard tuned to DGBE (guitar-4 or baritone uke) a C7 would be fingered 2313 (full) or 2310 (easy), not 2314. No need to wretch the pinky to the E's 4th fret -- 2314 makes it a C7 aug 5th.

Correction: on a fretboard tuned to DGBE (guitar-4 or baritone uke) a C7 would be fingered 2313 (full) or 2310 (easy), not 2314. No need to wretch the pinky to the E's 4th fret -- 2314 makes it a C7 aug 5th.

Yep! You're correct--my bad. I looked at my handy dandy baritone chord book and got the finger # mixed up with the fret #.

To err is human. I must be very human--ahh, well. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I believe in using my pinky instead of my ring finger whenever I can. Pretty much for the reasons put forth by itsme. I also think that using your pinky whenever you have a chance to strengthens it and gives you more strength for stretches. I also like to practice single note pieces using just my pinky to fret as a way to make it stronger. I see a lot of people struggle with chords and fingerings that would be easy if they would get comfortable using their pinky.

So right, Katy....every day, before I play/practice, I do left hand finger exercises. The one that has strenghtened my pinkie the most is one Craig Chee showed me.
I place all the fingers on the same string, (A) like this:
forefinger 1st fret
middle finger 2nd fret
ring finger 3rd fret
pinkie 4th fret
then I try to move the 1st and 3rd fingers to the next string without moving the 2nd and 4th. Then when the 1st and 3rd are planted, I move the 2nd and 4th up to the E string where the 1st and 3rd already are.
I do that all the way up the strings. (toward the ceiling)
Then I go back down the strings (toward the floor)
I move the 2nd and 4th, leaving the 1st and 3rd, then move the 1st and 3rd after the 2nd and 4th are planted....all the way to the floor.
After I've been doing that for about 4 months, my fingers are doing it smoothly just about every time. I will try to speed it up when I can do it perfectly at a slow pace. It's hard at first, but it's worth it!

Top Bottom