Do You Re-Humigel?

stevejfc

Reaction score
I was breaking in a new Oasis Humidifier today and reread the warning that the Humigel crystals should be replaced annually. Over the years, I've always replaced the humidifier after 3 or four years or when the outside covering wore out. I've never replaced the crystals as the humidifiers always worked fine and I imagined putting in new crystals a pain in the neck. What do you do? By the way new Oasis are around $15 -16 shipped. New crystals $10 shipped.

Note that the refill kit is enough for 6-8 refills. The beads in one of my humidifiers needs to be replaced as they no longer soak up all the water. I ordered the refill this past weekend.

When the gel no longer absorbed in my Oasis humidifier, I put in quality water absorbing crystals I use in my home-made humidifiers. Worked fine.

just do a search for "water crystals" on amazon or ebay. The stuff is cheap and it only takes a tiny bit for an oasis.

I had one for 2 years and never changed the crystals, seemed to work with no problems. Not sure how you tell if they're bad?!

I had one for 2 years and never changed the crystals, seemed to work with no problems. Not sure how you tell if they're bad?!

Add water. Close top. Wait about 10 mins. Open top. Gently squeeze. What you should see is a gelatinous blob. If you see water, crystals aren't working.

Add water. Close top. Wait about 10 mins. Open top. Gently squeeze. What you should see is a gelatinous blob. If you see water, crystals aren't working.

So, what happens if the crystals aren't working? It used the same amount of water every week for 2 years, never leaked, seemed to work as usual.

I don't have that particular oasis anymore, so can't test.

So, what happens if the crystals aren't working? It used the same amount of water every week for 2 years, never leaked, seemed to work as usual.

I guess depends on why they stop working. If you use tap water, they get a white haze. After a long time, they stop swelling as much and may not absorb all the water.

I guess depends on why they stop working. If you use tap water, they get a white haze. After a long time, they stop swelling as much and may not absorb all the water.

Mine seem to wear out on the sides at around 3-4 years. I've always used distilled water as recommended.

The crystal gels prevent damage to your instrument if the Oasis were to leak because the gel wouldn't hurt your instrument, whereas water may.

Top Bottom