PDA

View Full Version : How many ukes did you play today?

turtledrum
05-12-2015, 12:58 PM
I had work I just wasn't in the mood to do today: grading research papers. So I put it off...and put it off....and so....

I played ALL the ukes today. More than once each. And learned two new songs.

And wow, am I behind the 8 ball now! 10 ukes and a banjolele!

How was your day?

kvehe
05-12-2015, 01:24 PM
I've been home about an hour, and so far I've played four - including a wonderful Mainland mango tenor that doesn't get out of its case nearly enough. I'd forgotten how much I like it.

4stringsinner
05-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Just got home from work and catching up on things before I get to settle down to playing my Luna concert and my Rogue baritone. I dedicate at least one hour every evening to playing them. Tomorrow I get my new Kala KA-TG from HMS and might just have to leave work early to get the time to play it. As a matter of fact I feel a fever and cough coming on ........:rolleyes:

Xtradust
05-12-2015, 02:04 PM
It's finals week and I'm hiding from my essays under a pile of ukuleles...

7 including a 20s Harmony and a Kala Watermelon.

turtledrum
05-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Just got home from work and catching up on things before I get to settle down to playing my Luna concert and my Rogue baritone. I dedicate at least one hour every evening to playing them. Tomorrow I get my new Kala KA-TG from HMS and might just have to leave work early to get the time to play it. As a matter of fact I feel a fever and cough coming on ........:rolleyes:

Bet a sore throat appears.....and then disappears with the Fed ex man!

tbeltrans
05-12-2015, 02:17 PM
I own two ukuleles and I played one today because that one is in high G tuning and that is what I was working with today. I am exploring campanella style of laying out melodies using high G. The other ukulele is low G, and I play that when doing chord melody. I don't know what I would do with 6, 8, or 10 ukuleles, let along 3, which is why I only have two. :)

Tony

Icelander53
05-12-2015, 02:28 PM
I played two Pono's a Gretsch and a Lanikai. The only reason I played my Lanikai is because I was cleaning out a closet and found it laying there gathering dust bunnies. It's not in good shape but served me well as a newb.

UkerDanno
05-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Before I read your post, 1/6 of my collection. You motivated me to dust off everything and play them! So, now that I played all 6, the 1930's vintage Martin style 0 was the only one that didn't need at least a tweak in tuning! To be fair most of the others either have new strings, or haven't been touched in weeks.

vcs700s
05-12-2015, 02:43 PM
One- my new Pono Concert Deluxe. Wow!

bunnyf
05-12-2015, 02:44 PM
I always play my baritone for several hours almost every day. Today, instead I tried to find songs to play that I would prefer to hear on my soprano. I found a few like Ingrid Michaelson's "The Way I Am". Then I spent a little time with my tenor, plugged in and singing into a mic, practicing for an open mic, but after a bit, I plugged in my baritone and spent an hour or so comparing how the songs I was just trying on the tenor sounded on the Bari (of course, I liked the Bari sound better)... So, 3 played today, 3 neglected.

Ukulele Eddie
05-12-2015, 03:09 PM
Definitely two, may squeeze in the third, too. ;-)

MutinousDoug
05-12-2015, 03:19 PM
Played my guitar today. 2-3 tunes; maybe 12-15 minutes. I'll probably do a couple more tunes before I go to bed; guitar? uke? 'Don't know. Whatever moves me; beats watching TV...

Pueo
05-12-2015, 03:30 PM
I had to do some software installs today, so I pulled my Mainland Gecko out of my desk drawer and played a little bit. Including (for the first time ever) a rendition of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" just to annoy my co-workers.
I am sure I will play my Pono and my Epiphone Les Paul when I get home, I'm still at work...

actadh
05-12-2015, 03:34 PM
It is finals week for me, too. All I did was to pick up my office Harmony to take a picture to post in the Uke Republic FB question about office uke usage.

But, it was so cluttered with end of semester piles of papers that I was too embarrassed to show the state of my office.

This is likely one of the few days I won't play at all. But I did surf on UU off and on all day to relieve the tedium of grading.

Ukejenny
05-12-2015, 03:40 PM
One. My Blackbird Clara. Played multiple times.

Doc_J
05-12-2015, 03:49 PM
It was a great day, I played 5 of my ukes!

PhilUSAFRet
05-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Three I think, just fartin around

JJFN
05-12-2015, 04:01 PM
Great thread, I worked solely with my Baritone today. Usually I play at least two.

bonesigh
05-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Just two today but you are tempting me to run around and play them all. There are 7 in this room alone (: Not to mention the other rooms in the house!

NewKid
05-12-2015, 04:07 PM
I played 'em all tonight! Just four though.

PereBourik
05-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Only one. Been busy with nursing chores all afternoon and evening.

DownUpDave
05-12-2015, 04:53 PM
I have been playing my Mya Moe tenor only for the last 4-5 days in preparation for a video performance. That was done earlier tonight so I can now fool around with some of the other ladies. Think I need some fast and furious strumming on a soprano to clear out all the seriousness.

janeray1940
05-12-2015, 04:54 PM
None yet, but by the night's end I fully expect to have played 100% of my ukuleles.

Hippie Dribble
05-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Just the one.

sam13
05-12-2015, 05:56 PM
I have been playing my Mya Moe tenor only for the last 4-5 days in preparation for a video performance. That was done earlier tonight so I can now fool around with some of the other ladies. Think I need some fast and furious strumming on a soprano to clear out all the seriousness.

I played Bella and 3 others today. Might be looking to sell one.

sukie
05-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Just one. A bunch of times today. And I changed the strings.....finally. It sounds much nicer.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
05-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Trying to decide if a couple songs for the current Season of the Ukulele work better on baritone or soprano uke. So far it looks like one for one, the other the other. :)

Dwjkerr
05-12-2015, 06:47 PM
Just one. The soprano. Don't need more than that.

kohanmike
05-12-2015, 08:52 PM
I had so much going today, I didn't play any ukes, but I did noodle on my Les Paul sub-short scale electric bass while I relaxed in front of the TV winding down, watching the end of the Dodger's route of Miami. Tomorrow is wide open so I'm going to spend the day rehearsing the bass for a gig next Tuesday, and fit in at least one uke when I get frustrated with my bass clams.

turtledrum
05-13-2015, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like a great uke day to me!

k0k0peli
05-13-2015, 06:36 AM
If you'd asked a couple days ago I'd have said "a few dozen". :drool: I was down the mountain in the county seat, checking out the inventory at the minuscule local music store. Mandolins keep disappearing there; ukes don't, and after playing their stock, I understand why. :( (Hey, it's a small county.) But today, it's only been all my own: two Kohala sopranos (one of which will soon get a 5ths string set to be played mando-style), the ancient Varsity banjo-uke, the new Kala 6-string tenor, and the 4-course 12-string cuarto-menor tuned taropatch. Of course I've already fingered most of my other axes too. Just can't keep my hands off'em...

Tootler
05-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Just two today. My fluke to practise a song for the seasons and my Flea at our band practice this evening.

turtledrum
05-13-2015, 01:51 PM
NUD for me! (Will do a separate post re: this)...so all day it's been playing the new arrival... a Romero Creations all-koa xs soprano. If I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about playing it.

4stringsinner
05-13-2015, 02:40 PM
NUD for me! (Will do a separate post re: this)...so all day it's been playing the new arrival... a Romero Creations all-koa xs soprano. If I wasn't playing it, I was thinking about playing it.

NUD for me too! My Kala KA-TG arrived from HMS and its a sweety. Haven't had much time to play it yet. Did get a bit of time on my Luna concert this morning. As soon as the wife's group leaves the house I'm gonna get my uke on.

turtledrum
05-13-2015, 04:02 PM
NUD for me too! My Kala KA-TG arrived from HMS and its a sweety. Haven't had much time to play it yet. Did get a bit of time on my Luna concert this morning. As soon as the wife's group leaves the house I'm gonna get my uke on.

Yay for the Kala! Hope had quality time together this evening!

LDS714
05-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Ummmm... Four. Just four. And you guys are making me feel like a slacker, LOL!

I did dress the frets on one though. That took a couple of hours of playing time away...

Icelander53
05-13-2015, 04:39 PM
Today I only played one. The Pono cedar/hog. I really love the sound and playability of this uke with Worth Brown strings. It has a lovely sound that compares very favorably to my other Pono which is exceptional. (cedar/ebony with southcoast strings.) Both in low G.

I know playing only one hardly qualifies me to be in the thread today but it's the best I could do.

4stringsinner
05-13-2015, 04:56 PM
Yay for the Kala! Hope had quality time together this evening!

I got a feeling it might be the only uke I'm playing for a while. I'm going to play it till I can't stay awake or I have to leave for work in the morning. Congrats on the Romero. Hope you get to do more playing than thinking about it.

JJFN
05-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Played my concert, baritone and tenor in that order. The soprano is going to have to go. It's just sitting around. Had a great session small but steady progress.

Cornfield
05-14-2015, 01:45 AM
Two. The Kamaka Tenor I keep in my office and the Kamaka 8 string that is in my living room.

Gillian
05-14-2015, 07:18 AM
I played all five:

"Rock This Town" on my CR sequoia/walnut because it is the most guitar-y sounding one.
Brittni Paiva's " Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on my spruce/bloodwood CR because it is just so yummy sounding.
"I'll See You in My Dreams" on my KoAloha soprano because it was fitting to the song.
"Guava Jam" on my Kamaka concert. needed a high-G and it is just so "Hawaiian".

and finally, "Blackbird" on my Blackbird BTU. I'm in a happy place, UAS-wise. None of them are collecting dust.

turtledrum
05-14-2015, 07:55 AM
I played all five:

"Rock This Town" on my CR sequoia/walnut because it is the most guitar-y sounding one.
Brittni Paiva's " Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on my spruce/bloodwood CR because it is just so yummy sounding.
"I'll See You in My Dreams" on my KoAloha soprano because it was fitting to the song.
"Guava Jam" on my Kamaka concert. needed a high-G and it is just so "Hawaiian".

and finally, "Blackbird" on my Blackbird BTU. I'm in a happy place, UAS-wise. None of them are collecting dust.

Love the song choices and the idea of no dust gathered!

wickedwahine11
05-14-2015, 02:53 PM
I haven't played any today but I only ever play one of them.

PereBourik
05-14-2015, 03:35 PM
Only 2 today.

turtledrum
05-14-2015, 04:10 PM
2 for me, too....the same song....I was trying to work out some fingerpicking.